Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Question Air Bag Containment Device

I have heard about a device that wraps around the steering wheel to protect rescue personnel from the air bag.
    Do any of you use such a device?
    If so, what brand and how can I get one?

Feel free to E-Mail information to me.

Thanks

I think the best answer to using an airbag restraint device is...

DON'T!

None have been proven to work. Many haven been proven NOT to work.

We teach the 5-10-20 rule:
    Stay 5" from side bags,
    Stay 10" from driver's bag, and
    Stay 20" from passenger's bag.

Don't forget to de-energize. Even if you do, use the "loaded gun" theory: always assume an airbag can go off at any time, even if de-energized.

Tim
    www.rescue42.com

I wrote and have been teaching General Motor's Air Bag class since 1991 and I agree with Rescue42:

NEVER (did I say NEVER?) put anything on top of anything that can deploy.

I have written to some of the makers of the devices you are looking for asking if they will take responsiblity for human error at 3 AM when adrenaline is rushing, you're tired and the device isn't installed properly but never received any replies.

The problem is that you can't always be sure it's installed right and tight or to the manufacturer's "correct" method. There was a thread like this a few months ago and someone promised to mail me a copy of a video showing one blowing off with the bag but I haven't received it yet.

You don't need anything else to go wrong in a situation that has usually already gone to hell in a hand basket.

Be Safe, Make sure your power is disconnected. If you can't find the battery, look in the glove compartment for the owner's manual. It might take a few seconds longer, but isn't your safety worth it?
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Ron Moore and his University of Extrication had a three part "lesson" on air bags, manufacturers and automotive makers. A website that was pointed out to me that deals with this problem as well as several others was extrication.com. These guys were a wealth of information regarding many things that go "BOOM" in the night, usually when you least want them to.

For the short answer, Dragon-fyre's statement of NEVER PUT ANYTHING IN FRONT OF OR ON AN UNDEPLOYED AIRBAGis a good rule to follow.

As a matter of note, I also wrote to Ford, Chrysler and GM regarding safety aspects for rescuers, and received no answer from any of them either. Not a very polite method of doing business, but here we are.

Train safe, play safe, work safe.
    Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 06-12-2002 at 10:19 PM.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Back a few years ago when we put our new rescue truck into service - we bought one of the secunet (sp?) devices from holmatro (aganst my better judgement).

Lessons learned since that time.

1 - they are expensive
    2 - the're good for 1 "catch" only - then you have to replace it (see item 1)
    3 - We bought ours when they were first developed and didn't know any better about covering / restraining air bags.

To this day the only thing that keeps that little device on our trucks is the sheer lazyness that prohibits us from unscrewing the holder and tossing it aside.

If you feel that (after all the great advise you've gotten here) you still really must have one - e-mail me and we'll work out a great deal for you.
    Last edited by N2DFire; 06-12-2002 at 10:27 PM.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

We too teach the 5, 10, 20 rule- great rule- it works well!

We also teach about isolation- ignition, battery, etc- works well!

We also carry the Holmatro Secunet. Haven't as yet pulled it out of the box to use on scene as all the bags have been deployed when we arrived.

We teach NOT to put anything hard or solid in front of the casualty.

We DON'T consider the Secunet to be a "hard" device, though.

As per the previous forums on this topic, I stated, and stand by it, "Do we really believe that a reputable manufacturer such as Holmoatro, would manufacture and market a device if it was dangerous to use?"

The problem is that you can't always be sure it's installed right and tight or to the manufacturer's "correct" method.
    Why is one of these devices any different to any other tool we use in rescue?

THEY'RE NOT! If you use a sreader or the ram incorectly- things go wrong. People get injured.

We need to take the time to ensure the cover is fitted correctly. Just like we take the time to ensure the vehicle is stabilised, the battery is isolated, etc.

Incorerct use of ANY device is dangerous!

Be Safe!
    Luke

Our department talked about getting one of these but when you get down to it you only get protection from 1 bag-what about all the other bags in the vehicle? Why not learn to respect these bags and give them the room (5-10-20). The money saved might come in handy for other needed tools of training. Also I don't believe that the airbag makers or auto industry support the use of restraint devices of any kind being used on their bags.

Thread Information