Hello from Nebraska!

I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right place but thought I'd start here.

My husband is in law enforcement and a volunteer fire fighter. He's been a volunteer for almost eight years now. We live in south central Nebraska and really love the small town atmosphere.

I am writing today to ask you for stories/incidents involving animals.

In January there was a barn fire. One horse was killed and one horse was severely burned. After listening to the happenings on our scanner, talking with other law enforcement and fire officials, it has come to light that (at least around here) there is very little training on how to deal with animals involved in emergency situations. In March, there was a barn fire where 35 head of cattle were killed. There have been several accidents where families were traveling and had a pet with them.

I am now working with several vets on A.C.A.T. Animals in Crisis Assistance Training. Our goal is to provide information and training on how to handle animals in a crisis situation and to provide a network of veterinarians who can be called for assistance.

After talking with local law enforcement, EMT's, fire captains, etc., this type of training is needed and the guys are really excited about it.

So, if you wouldn't mind sharing incidents with me, please tell me about the scenario, the animals involved, and what happened. Did you feel you were adequately trained? What type of information/training would have helped you and your fellow officers deal with the situation?

Dealing with animals in a crisis isn't necessarily part of your job, but it can become a safety concern for you and the public and that's what we're trying to help with.

Thank you for your help.

I can't say enough how much I admire firemen/women and law enforcement officers. While your jobs are different, they still go hand in hand. After September 11, I hope everybody looks at you with more respect and admiration. I know I do.

Stay Safe!

mrs455

mrs455@yahoo.com