Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    MembersZone Subscriber

When I fist joined the dept two years ago we did some RIT training. Since then we have not really done any. Until a couple of months ago we did not hear of it until out of the blue we got called as a RIT team. We do not have a set RIT team so we went out there with the training we had in the past and did what had to be done. Fourtunatly they did not need us, but if they did we were ready. It seems to be that they tend and us also if needed to call a company outside of the immediate area. I guess it is better to have someone fresh and ready to look in case of the worse then your own dept. It seems to work out good, we scrath their backs and they scratch ours.

Protective Economist Jonathan Bastian's Avatar

I would only use mutual aid companies for RIT if they have been TRAINED in RIT. There are still a TON of FD's that think having 3 guys standing outside (like 2-in/2-out) qualifies as RIT. RIT involves a ton of training and a change in mindset. If the MA companies haven't been trained, you are shortchanging yourself by using them to possible save your troops.

Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

by theory RIT members should be the most experienced personnel on the dept. our dept is still in RIT training for over a year now. i haven't been happy with the level of training yet and we've had a lot of turn over in personnel. we train on everything from SCBA change over to searching and removing debris. we attempt to train monthly if possible. all i can say is train, train, train constantly. like other's keep saying, no one is going to save us but ourselves.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

MembersZone Subscriber

We are a small dept. and all we use is the two in two out rule, because of the manpower problem. Mutual aid for us is the nearest volunteer dept. and they are not reliable during the daytime.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death."

Gen. Omar Bradley

Protective Economist Jonathan Bastian's Avatar

Originally posted by fyrgrunt
    We are a small dept. and all we use is the two in two out rule, because of the manpower problem. Mutual aid for us is the nearest volunteer dept. and they are not reliable during the daytime.
    No offense, but VFD's and smaller FD's need the RIT more than 2in/2out at least as much, if not more than, career FD's. Most small FD's don't get the run volume to keep really proficient at ICS, accountability, fire tactics, situational awareness, etc. If your nearest MA company is not reliable, then talk to the nearest one that IS reliable. You're cheating yourself when you don't have a RIT.

Remember...RIT is the Firefighter's 9-1-1 (a paraphrase from BC R. Hoff, Chicago FD)

We are one of the larger Departments in the Country and we will never get 30 to 40 firefighters on an initial box. Our standard box will get you 27 max, including an ambulance. Many times the ambulance arrives with the first due engine and assumes RIT duties prior to later arriving engines. This crew may have the RIT responsibility for the duration of the incident. RIT is requiring us to become more creative with our resources but it is long over-due. RIT, however controversial it may be to manpower, is for our own safety. It's about firefighters saving firefighters.

Thread Information