Talking BIG RIG RESCUE Training Offered

The Windham, NH FD in conjunction with Towmasters of NH are offering a BIG RIG RESCUE-I training program. Dates are Sept. 6,7,8, 02. Location will be Concord, NH. Fee is $150 per person which provides midday meals and an extensive handout including a copy of the BIG RIG RESCUE book. LOTS of hands-on is planned with lifting, cribbing, and winching. For more info. please contact Woody of Towmasters at 603.635.3371 or fax 603.635.8903.

Forum Member

Billy,looks like a class act,the Towmasters are great to work with.You get my E-mail? T.C.

Thumbs up

The program will feature lots of heavy lifting, cribbing, and winching. High, low pressure and new technology air bag rescue systems will be used, along with the safe and proper use of cribbing. Winching ops will be suited for fire rescue personnel including calculating resesistances and proper rigging. Underrides and overturns will be featured along with big rig stabilization in various situations. An opportunity not to miss.

Forum Member

Billy -

How does one go about setting up to host a class such as this. Departments in my area could do nothing but benefit from a training such as this. With the amount of interstate highway we cover, it seems like more and more the initial dispatch is "...for the tractor trailer vs...."

Shoot me an email at fftrainer@firehousemail.com

Lightbulb Hosting a BIG RIG RESCUE

Basically the program is easy to host, at little expense. First, locate a source of vehicles to use in training. I suggest soliciting your local or regional towing association for assistance in procuring these. After that, it is easy. If you're interested, send me an email.

Question Seperate and Extricate???

Lets say you have a car which is involved in an underride beneath a tractor trailer. Would YOU lift the trailer slightly and remove the car (with pt. protection provided) or extricate in place? Why? How? This is a part of the BIG RIG RESCUE program. Lets hear your ideas!

Forum Member

Hehehe,I think you know my response.Any other Takers?Come on folks this is getting to be a daily event.T.C.

Lightbulb Options...

Seperating and extricating is one option...there are others. Lets hear what others say! How do YOU perform such a rescue? What worked best for you? Anybody for trunk tunneling?

Question Your most unique big rig rescue

Please describe YOUR most unique big rig rescue. Lets hear your experiences!

Question What's your SOG

What is your SOG for an underride? What basic techniques do you employ to remove the victims? Do you remove the car?

FIGJAM

Just check out my forum titled "Another What Would You Do?"

I think that has some excellant answers from heaps of people...

Would love the chance to be there- we really lack in the Heavy Rescue training in Oz.
    Luke

Lightbulb

Come on now, anybody for trunk tunneling? Have you tried it? Pro's and con's. Lets hear them!

FIGJAM

Default Trunk Tunnelling

Done abit of it in training but haven't had to do it in anger.

On the newer model cars we have, they make it really easy to do because the backs of the rear seats fold down giving you unlimited access to the inside of the car from the trunk area. (We call the trunk, a boot.)

On the older car, it can be a bit slower due to the design of the car. Generally on our cars, there was alot of sheetmetal for strength and other stuff in the way...
    Luke

Forum Member

Ah Billy,you show me rapid tunneling,I'll show you quick & dirty compounding.Deal? Hehe T.C.

Exclamation Compound Winching

Rescue 101, please explain compound winching to all the folks. Give us an example of what we can do with it. A part of any BIG RIG RESCUE program!

Forum Member

In my primitive demo on a school bus it would consist of five snatch blocks with associated rope.I use wire rope,the first block is attached to a recovery strap around the bus,the next block is attached to the live end of the wire rope on the first block.The next block is hooked to the live end of the second block and so on.Figuring that each "layup" cuts imput force by 2(half) you wind up with a 10 to 1 reduction.Wish I had a scanner so I could draw a picture but I don't.T.C.

Lightbulb Winching

OK 101, give us some examples when winching would be useful during rescue operations. What could we expect to get from our vehicle mounted winches on the rescue trucks? What eqt. should we carry on our rescue trucks as a basic set?

Forum Member

OK Billy,Winching 101 first required item,a pair of good leather gloves and safety glasses.Next I would have at least four snatch blocks rated to the rescue trucks winch,These can be used for change in direction,decreasing line speed,increasing load pull,self recovery just to name a few.Next you should have some rated shackles and straps,I prefer shorter ones for rescue.Next RATED CHAIN (ALLOY)alloy chain is VERY expensive but compared to the consequences of using inexpensive chain for rescue,PRICELESS.Alloy chain is the lightest,strongest chain on the market.It is the ONLY chain approved for overhead lifting,in other words lifting anything any distance off the ground.Uses are limited only by capacity,and your imagination.T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 08-02-2002 at 08:03 AM.

Question

What capacity and diameter of snatch blocks would you recommend? Also, what length and capacity of straps would you recommend?

What do you think the most common applications of winching in rescue ops are?

Obviously this info. should be covered in a comprehensive BIG RIG RESCUE program, would you agree?

Forum Member

Hehe Billy,I'm starting to get that "trolled for bait"feeling around you.Snatch blocks are sized by capacity,since the AVERAGE rescue truck winch seems to be 12-15000# I'll go with a 6"/8 ton Crosby or Gunnebo/Johnson block.My primary uses would be stabilization,or moving a heavy object or to gain acess.This could include tipping,leveling,making a "breechers buoy" for over the bank rescues etc.As I said earlier the limitations are your imagination,winch capacity,and wire rope length. Yes.I would consider winches and winching an important PART of BRR,but BRR comprises MANY important tasks.To be considered a competent BRR rescue tech,I envision a already well schooled vehicle rescue tech with the ability to adapt rapidly to changing conditions.This individual should have or be ready to aquire advanced knowledge on scene evaluation,problem separation,and the ability to perform work on heavy objects with commonly available tools along with a resource back-up plan.I'll answer the strap issue in another post.How am I doing so far?T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 07-30-2002 at 09:30 PM.

FIGJAM

Exclamation Cut it out you two or you can go to your rooms!

Do you two want to stop baiting each other?

Everytime one of you asks a question, I run out and find my manuals trying to get the answer and another one answers it before I've found the answer! DOH!

Then again, if I came over there and did one of your courses, I'd already know the answer....

Give me a car accident- I reckon I could just about nut out any rescue.

Give me a BRR, and I reckon I'd have a good go at it, but unfortunately in our area we don't get a lot of BRR calls....
    Last edited by lutan1; 07-31-2002 at 07:12 AM.
    Luke

Forum Member

OK,Now on to straps.If I can have what I want:2 12' 26,000# loops, 2 20'42,000# loops, 2 6x16 2 ply Recovery straps, 2 6x26 2 ply recovery straps, 8 20,000 # Shackles.With this combination you can secure,"christmas wrap",recover,realign,roll,twist almost anything.Even pull the back seat out the trunk.Shhhsh,be veerry quiet I'm trolling for lutans!Might get lucky and hook a billy.Say isn't a train a BRR on iron wheels? T.C.

Forum Member

Time to bump this back to the top.Time grows short to get your spot for the big event.Enough information in this program to satisfy even the hungriest extricator!Billy,where you hiding?T.C.

Question How do you use your winch?

How do you use your winch during rescue ops? What tasks do you perform with it? Can you set up a 4:1 MA using snatch blocks to move a heavy load? I'm attempting to poll folks and determine if winches are really being used.

Winches are sometimes decorations on rescue trucks, rarely used. What do you think?

FIGJAM

Talking Looking For Sponsorship!

I'd love to go- anyone want to sponsor me?

Airfareas from Australia are around AUD$1980.00

I'll come over and lecture for you in return if you want an international perspective on any of the following topics: vehicle extrication, fall protection and height safety, confined space rescue, tower rescue, rope rescue...

PLEASE! PLEASE! I'M BEGGING! I'M ON MY KNEES!
    Luke

Thread Information