Default Post September 11th Responses- how has it changed you?

How have the events of September 11th and the continuing threats of terrorism changed you personally or as a department in how you respond to fires? I know I have a lot more thoughts about how the particular fire we are being dispatched to may have started, and a lot more thoughts on the safety of myself and my fellow firefighters as I respond. I wanted to get other's thoughts on how it has changed your reponse to calls both personally and as a department.

Forum Member

Personnely I don't think I have changed anything in responding to a call. I have always been suspicious and use caution on every call. Any call I responded to prior to or after Sept 11th, I have treated the same, everything is suspicious until you secure the scene, with priority to you and your partner's safety. Always expect the unexpected and most of all don't get tunnel vision.. Let yourself and your partner a escape route.

Remember your basics to scene safety if in doubt back out and wait for law enforcement officiers. You do yourself and the patient no good if you or your partner gets hurt.

I believe that Sept 11th has brought out the dangers of our profession in the media light that have always been there and made the public more aware of the dangers in our profession.

God Bless

Forum Member

As far as response to incidents nothing has changed. However I have began to think more about different training. For example prior to 9/11 medical con. ed. was usually focused on "normal" med training (ie. body systems, trauam, cardiac.) now we are focussing on nuclear emergencies, scene safety, and more Haz Mat. I feel as though every area is changing their training curriculum very quickly now.

code_blue81
    Jeremy Culver
    IACOJ Bureau of EMS

These views are my own and do not represent the views or opinions of anyambulance service that I am affiliated with.

Help our fellow firefighters.
    www.helpingourown.com
    "Firefighters Helping Firefighters"

Thread Information