Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Porter-Ferguson rescue tools

We're considering gearing up for First Responder and Rescue, and we came across a like-new set of Porter-Ferguson rescue tools.

It's a air over hydraulic power unit that uses 2200 PSI bottles as a power source. The set includes two sets of jaws and two sets of cutters, but only one power unit.

Does anyone know anything about these? I've tried searching for Porter-Ferguson on the web, and come up with some similars, but no hits on rescue tools.

Apparently used to be affiliated with HK Porter, but can't find a HK Porter web site anywhere, although they are still in business (among other things, they make bolt cutters, and apparently made steam locomotives long ago.

Seems like it would be nice not to have to maintain another small engine and use air bottles instead, but my concerns are

1) How well do they work?

2) How long will a bottle last?

3) If something breaks, can we get it fixed?
    Asst. Chief Bill

International Order of the Fraternal Brotherhood of the Club

Somewhere in or near north central Creek County, Oklahoma

I've used the PF tools several times before, and would be glad to provide comments if you'll email me directly.

We had porter ferguson rescue tools for 8 years they work ok.They don't make them any more .Thay are good for first responder .We sold them to get TNT hyd tools for heavy rescue . Cooper tools has some parts for H K porter E-Mail me if you want more information

Mark -

Email me at killerb@webzone.net

-Bill
    Asst. Chief Bill

We have air-over-hydraulic tools but in 12 years that I've been responding, we've never used them in "anger".

I'd probably lean towards the purchase of a high lift jack, reciprico saw, chains and some stabilisation stuff to begin with. A lot cheaper and you will probably achieve more at a rescue. (Remove a roof, lift a dash, lift a steering wheel, force a seat back, etc.)

Leave the hydraulics and the physical pinning/entrapment to those departments around you that already have invested the money, time and training in their use....

If you do go down this path, don't get caught out by cancelling your normal rescue provider because you beleive you can handle the task at hand. Keep "rescue" coming until the casualty is out of the vehicle.
    Luke

Hey Chief Bill:

I think when you privately email all the brothers who are offering further information about the P-F system, you'll give up on that design. That air-over-hydraulic technology has been outpaced by smaller combination hydraulic tools or the newer electric-hydraulic tools.

Power plants are smaller and lighter in weight and will support the function of one tool at a time. If you don't want a power plant, look at systems such as the Hurst Centaur electricspreader/cutter tool. Holmatro just introduced a similar self-contained electric/hydraulic tool that uses a DeWalt 24volt battery. American Rescue Technology also has an electric/hydraulic combi tool in their Genesis lineup. Don't look back... look ahead!
    Ron Moore, Forum Moderator
    www.universityofextrication.com

Thanks, Ron.

Our department is only 6 years old, but we've progressed rapidly and made relatively few mistakes by doing our homework in advance.

We'll never be able to keep up with current technology. Whatever we get, there will be something lighter and stronger coming along later. We WILL, however, be stuck with whatever we purchase for a long, long, time, so we'll think about it and study it a LOT before we buy anything.

We'll probably start running First Responder/Rescue within the next 12 months. We probably will not be carrying hydraulic tools (other than a porta-power) in the beginning. Heavier equipment is available through mutual aid within 10-15 minutes. Hopefully, if needed, they will be able to go right to work when they arrive, as we will have performed prep work (secure scene, traffic control, roof flap, vehicle and patient stabilization, etc.)

We will continue to consider alternatives in the meantime. This forum is a particularly good place to sound out these issues, and I'm grateful for the responses, both in the forum and via email.
    Asst. Chief Bill

Thread Information