Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Arsonist told FF about fire BEFORE he set it

I can't believe this happened... the MUTT who set the fire actually told a FF he was going to set it before he did. The FF drove the MUTT to the place where the fire was set, with the tools to set it, and still didn't believe that he was going to set the fire.

http://webpublisher.lexisnexis.com/i...-V4Y3-00000-00

What part of driving someone to the place they have already said they are going to set a fire, with the tools necessary to set it, makes it hard to believe they'll actually do it? Why would a FF partake in such activity?

Shining a light in his ear, we all looked in intensley and shouted "ANYONE HOME.... HALOOO...."

A distant echo was recieved.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

No doubt Kiwi. Maybe Stayback needs to visit him for a close encounter with a stop sign. Of course in this guys case it would be STOP and THINK!!!

oh you really were going to set it, i thought maybe you were just having a campfire...

Forum Member

Kinda off topic, but how many high schools have barns on the property?

Default Arsonist told FireFighter .......

Wouldn't that be considered an "Accessory to the Fact" ?
    "The uniform is supposed to say something about you. You get it for nothing, but it comes with a history, so do the right thing when you're in it."
    Battalion Chief Ed Schoales
    from 'Report from Ground Zero' pg 149
    I.A.C.O.J. Member

AFD368

You are exactly right. The FF who was told and drove the MUTT to the school is being charged as an accessory (or something to that nature)

LadyCapn

I wondered that myself. Maybe it was there for an agriculture class, or animal husbandry or something. A little strange though...

Jeez, where else do you hold a barn dance?
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

You know, if one of my friends told me they were gonna do something I'd probably think they were joking too.

As far as driving them somewhere? I dunno...maybe he was trying to call his friend's bluff and it backfired on him.
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Sr. Information Officer NJFFSA16's Avatar

Talking

Originally posted by LadyCapn
    Kinda off topic, but how many high schools have barns on the property?
    School policy states that you can not bring your sheep, cows or pigs into the classroom. They must remain in the school's barn during classes.

Nah.......I'm just kidding, nobody brings sheep to school.

Doesn't every school have a Barn Fire before the big game?
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Originally posted by NJFFS_A16
    Nah.......I'm just kidding, nobody brings sheep to school.
    Are you trying to start something!?!?!? You are a baaad boy...
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Are you trying to start something!?!?!?
    Trying to START something! Hope it isn't that barn...

MembersZone Subscriber

Seriously, this type of action is not all that unusual. Very often, these guys do not have the stones to do this by themselves and they draw energy from each other. Sometimes, they actually even rationalize that what they are doing is a noble deed.

"We haven't had a fire in so long, we need the practice."
    "That house is just sitting there. We'll set it on fire as a drill."

I investigated a case where 5 fire fighters from two towns were involved. They actually drew a preplan on the whiteboard at the fire house for the barn they were going to set. One of the guys walked in on them, and the five tried to suck him into their "preplanning" session. He declined. He was also the first one to tip us off after the barn burned 12 hours later that these guys were planning it.

George Wendt, CFI

I don't think the guy who actually started the fire was a firefighter. That being said, the information you have provided us with here, disturbs me. I have come to the conclusion that you must some pretty impressive 'anger management' skills, to be able to interview these guys and NOT slam their head(s) into the table. It's meant as a compliment, even though I'm not it sounds like one. Was the guy that they tried to enlist into their actives charged after the fact?

I was thinking about this last night. I have to wonder if this arsonist is like a one of those people who tries to commit suicide, but then calls someone to tell them, or tells them prior to the act. Maybe this guy was aware he was a firebug, but didn't want to be and the urge was too overwhelming. He went to the one person he thought would stop him, the one person he thought would be able to get him some help.

How many times have any of us heard of an arsonist telling a firefighter he was going to burn something down before he did? A cry for help? Then again if the arsonist is a sociopath, he wouldn't put the cause and effect or right and wrong aspects together. Telling someone would be just a part of a normal conversation to him.

It's just a lack of comprehension on their part. It must be some kind of mental disease. There was a guy just a little while ago who set a house and a few dumpsters in the next town over from us, and as soon as he was out, he came and tried to join our fire department. He didnt get real far with that. It's just like nothing is wrong to them.

HFDEXP777

I'm glad that someone in your dept did a background check on the guy. Too many times we have read about guys who have been convicted someone where else of arson related charges and they were allowed to work as firefighters.

You would think that a FF, no matter how old, or relation to the colprit, would take someone telling them they were gonna set something on fire seriously. If my best friend told me that he was gonna go set something on fire, friend or not, i would believe it because people do stupid stuff. As for driving the colprit to the site and giving the person the materials to start the fire, that is an extreme lack of judgement. Any FF should know better, and any one that would do this should not be a FF any longer.
    Loo
    Lieutenant / EMT- Paramedic
    Protective Services Officer

Thread Information