Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Thread: Hey Everyone

Cool Hey Everyone

Hey Guys

My name is Greg and I am a junior vollunteer fireman and ambulance officer at the moment. For any FDNY firies and EMS who read this, I just want u to know that i have the upmost respect for you guys and i think it shows the greatest amount of courage to do what you did on 9-11-01. if there were more people like u guys, then this world would be a better place. I did not really appreciate the work u guys do until i saw the sept.11 episode of 3rd watch and i have been researching u guys ever since. I would really like to meet some of u guys and i would rally like to find out about the fire and ems in your neck of the woods

Thanks a lot
    Greg
    Keep on fighting

Firie from Australia

Greetings!

And welcome to the forum. How are things going in Oz?

Steve

Default Thanks for your reply

Hey Steve

Thankyou for your reply
    Things are nice and cold here in Aus and i liked the summer better.

The vollunteers are training up hard for the up and coming season,even though it is still a few months off
    and pesonally i am looking counting down the 19 months i have left until i can jump on a truck and tackle my first fire.

Hope to hear a reply soon
    Greg
    Keep on fighting

Firie from Australia

Hey Everybody,
    I'm also from the Southern side of the globe, Down in Australia. Name's Jarrad and i been a Volunteer Firie for five years, so i've seen alot of action and just finished my Senior Firefighters coarse, so i'm gaining experience in leading now. Like aussiejuniorfireman said, i'd like to send my graditude to firefighters involved in Sept.11, walking into a situation where your life is in imediate danger, put their lives on the line to protect others. Being in a volunteer organization myself, i've been in a few close calls myselfs, but nothing like the extreme sacrifice some people have given. Without volunteers, the world would not be able to function.
    Long Live Volunteer Firefighters.

Jarrad
    Jandakot Volunteer Bush Firebrigade,
    Western Australia.

Bit of chill in the air huh! I'm near Cincinnati, Ohio and we're under a heat advisory for the next couple of days. Hot and humid!

My passion in life is fire apparatus photos and history. If you're interested in seeing a few rigs photos, have a look at one of these sites!

Youngstownfire.com Fire Apparatus Dictionary (dozens and dozens of rig photos from across the U.S.)

CFDHistory 100's of fire scene and apparatus photos of the Cincinnati F.D.

Cincy Fire Rigs Cincinnati rigs plus apparatus from over a dozen counties in the area!

Rescue-Net Nice apparatus photo section with lots of U.S. and Canadian rigs!

Keep at it guys. I'm sure the sacrifice will be worth it!

Steve

Just thought i'd drop this link too ya's http://www.fesa.wa.gov.au/CONTENT/resource/index.htm just from Fire and Emergency Service Authority Western Australia with all our units from Fire and Rescue (red trucks) and Bush Fire Service (white trucks). I'm part of the Bush Fire Service and my brigades got two 600L Fast Attacks and 9000L tanker but thats not on there. The units would prob look fairly ineffective to Americans, but in our soft sands, we need good 4X4's.

Jarrad.

Default HI all

Hey Jarryd

Its nice to hear from another Australian. I enjoyed looking at the links from both of you
    Keep on fighting

Firie from Australia

Hey aussie,
    what part of Aus do you hail from also what agencies are you from, what type of units have you's got. If it's CFA, i'm guessing you have 2.4/3.4 style of units. I'm trying to find out if any other state uses Toyota Landcruisers as Fast Attacks or just us in WA. Different type of terrain over east, more hills, whereas we operate in sand/hills.

Regards
    Chooky.

Default Howdy Chooky

Howdy

I am from New South Wales and I am a junior member with the NSW Rural Fire service (vollunteers)and we used to use land cruisers ans striker vehicles but the one that we had went to fire truck heaven and we now use land cruisers as personel carriers. At our station we have a category one bush fire fignting vehicle which is an isuzu and a cattegory 2 vehicle which is mainly for structure fires ( it carries brething apparatus and structure equipment) but it also is a bushfire back up vehicle. We also have a personel carrier which is a land cruiser and a bulk filler water carrier which is another isuzu that handles like crap. I am also a vollunteer with the St John Ambulance Australia Cadet operations division but that is a whole different story.
    Keep on fighting

Firie from Australia

Talking hi greg

nice to meet you.iam a firefighter with the city of mississauga ontario canada.
    i started as a volunteer firefighter and became a captain after about four years.in total i was part time for around twelve years.
    any how your on the right track its the best job in the world.i totaly agree with your comments on sept 11. they make us proud,god bless them
    stay safe
    p jackson
    local 1212

Default Reply

Hey Paul

Nice to meet a Canadian Firie

I met a canadian once he was from the Anchorage fire dept and he was a friend of my Dad's friend. My Dad's friend and my Dad are both paid staff of the rural fire service so that is how I met him. I envy all of the firies in the States and Canada cos of their work in extreme conditions.

I hope to hear a reply from u soon

Greg
    Keep on fighting

Firie from Australia

Cool nice weather

hi greg

the weather in toronto sure go through stages,like right now its about 34 out side and with the humedex its roughly around 100.
    in the winter time wich is from sept to april usally it gets down to -20 or-30 the water freezes in the fire hose if we dont keep it flowing,our regulators on our scbas freeze,but with all that i would'nt give it up for the world.like i tell everyone that asks i tell them that its like winning the lottery!
    take care and
    be safe
    paul

Default I agree

Hey Paul

I totally agree I would not give up the chance at being a firefighter for anything. My friends don't get it, they say why waste your time if you don't get paid. They just don't get it. At least in the 34 degree temp you have a 100 reading on the humedex which means virtually no risk of a bushfire but still it must be so hot that you just want to get on the plane and fly down to antarctica just to get out of the heat
    Keep on fighting

Firie from Australia

Wink hi greg

its good to see that you have made up your own mind.i remember the same type of comments being made to me.i sure like it now with the way our shifts work we work 7 day shifts and 7 night shifts in a 28 day cycle.
    when your friends are working monday to friday 9-5 yuck!
    every three weeks we have a week off.
    stick to your plan you will not be sorry!!!!!!

stay safe
    paul

Default Hey Paul

Hey Paul

In the NSW Fire brigades which is the paid bunch (not the organisation i am associated with) they work on a similar system to you ecept it is not a 7 days seven nights, i think it is three days, three nights and 1 day off with 1 week thrown in there somewhere. It is really interesting to hear how other organisations run their system.
    Keep on fighting

Firie from Australia

Default whats up

hi greg

what is the time differance between aus and canada?
    i noticed that most of your posts come in around 4am.
    also wondering if you trade shoulder flashes? if you do you can send me your adress via email if you wish and i will send you a couple of them,i collect them and have aprox 100 from around canada but would like to start collecting from all over.if any one else reads this and has some to trade drop me a line.

anyhow greg take care
    and be safe
    paul

Default hey greg

its me paul thought i would let you know i have a new name and email firedog1@sympatico.ca any how your shoulder flashes are in the mail.

take care
    stay safe
    firedog105
    firedog105
    stay safe!

Default hey greg

its me paul dont know if you got my message or not iam under firedog105 now just thought i would check in and see how you were making out? any how talk to you later.
    firedog105
    stay safe!

Thread Information