Thread: Cadets.

Unhappy Cadets.

I'm in a Volunteer fire company and we have nine cadets within our company alone. We are having a problem with what they can do. We have been told by our Commissioners what they can do at drills and or fire calls. The problem is we are getting the run around with Commissioners. At last months board meeting we were handed yet another packet of RULES as to what the cadets can and can't do. Well,this is now are third set of rules. To make a long story short,we don't want the Cadets to lose interest.They are really fun to teach and are great around the firehouse not to mention keeping them off the streets! Now I know OSHA and child labor laws play a part in it but if anyone could help shed some light on this subject as to what your compaines do and what laws and regulations you follow. I thank all of you for your time on this matter. Feel free to E-mail me.Everyone stay safe and have fun!!

ok ok

Smile

In my department, we have junior firefighters. A junior firefighter is 16-18 years of age. They can run calls, however, they cannot do actual firefighting. They are great for re-hab areas, filling scba bottles, rolling hose, setting up ladders, etc. In my county, there is actually a junior fire school program which teaches the things I described above.
    Once he/she turns 18, they are now classified as a firefighter and have 1 year to attend an accredited fire school program.
    Yes, juniors, cadets, explorers, whatever you call them, they can be of value to you in the field. Encourage their participation.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our cadets start at age 12 if a parent is on or 14 if they dont have one that is already a member. They can do just about anything except go into a burning building. You need to keep the politics out of it and make a cadet intstuctor or advisor. I started out as a cadet and have been on for over 13 years.

As far as I know (at least in the state of Indiana) Child Labor Laws do not apply to you unless you are paying them for there participation (which I doubt). The best advice I can give from experience is to contact your departments insurance company they would be the best source for information on this. Like ours they might have some sort of guidelines for a cadet program.

Our must be between the ages of 13 & 18 years old but we modified that to 16 & 18.

They can not be on the initial attack crew/apparatus

They can fight fire as long as it is from a safe distance (ie. spray thru a window or something like that)

They can not operate any apparatus on the fire ground but may however in a training enviroment.

The list goes on. If you like I can fax you a copy of our guidelines if you wish.

Just to add if you want to see a well set up cadet/junior program check this out http://www.hersheyfire.org/Junior%20Program.htm

First of all, I want to state I am not a lawyer, but here is my understanding...

There are a few issues here at work. Explorers and Cadet programs sanctioned by the Boy Scouts of America have more flexibility then department Jr programs or the like.

As an Explorer (BSA) program, they fall under an 'educational' umbrella. They can go up 35' on a ladder, can drill (without air packs) and can respond to calls if your department allows them.

As a Jr program, (in CT specifically) they fall under the labor laws same as members of any volunteer fire department. One of the odd things in CT is they can do less then explorers. A great example is they can only go up 6' on a ladder.

The best thing you could do for your department is contact BSA, OSHA, and the state labor department and ask them. Also your state fire academy may be able to help you.

Yours in Service,

Jason
    Jason Zigmont

Thread Information