Closed Thread
Page 1 of 72 12341151 ... Last
    JVB

Smile Greetings from a non-firefighter

Hi there!
    I have to honestly say that it is a little disconcerting to see that I am seemingly the ONLY one here whose only connection to the "Firehouse" are friendships with a retired Fire Capt and his wife, a FDNY Trainee and the wife of a NYFD Captain. I hope no one minds me intruding. I found myself wandering around these pages a few times wondering what it was I was hoping to find. I think to have finally stumbled on some reasons that makes sense. I used to see the career of a Firefighter as being the nice guy who got cats out of trees and helped me blow up my bicycle tires. I never stopped to think that it went much deeper than that. After the events of 9/11 and the blossoming friendships with the above said persons I awoke out of my seeming coma with a desire to better understand the drives, morals and motivations which compelled you to become Firefighters.
    I have just started reading "Firehouse" by David Halberstam. Although I am not the stupidest cookie in the jar, it is slow reading because I confuse Firehouse jargon like Engine/Truck/Ladder with each other. Go ahead and laugh if you want! It cracks me up that I can't seem to get it straight! Just for the sake of things I will give it another shot (without looking in the book!). The Truck is the one that looks for the best route to a fire and rescues people, animals, etc. The Engine (also called Ladder) is the one that actually puts out the fires. If this is incorrect, pillows and other soft objects may be obtained for throwing.

As for me....I live in Europe, am married and work as an Administrative Assistant for an international Software Corporation.

Many Greetings and kind regards
    Jennifer

Forum Member

Jennifer,

You are getting there, but need to read more... A truck - Doesn't necessary look for the quickest route - with today techinology and computer dispatch they give you the quickest route.. The truck(also call rescue) company is in charge of rescue and ventilation along with the ladder - does ventilation and also rescue, also used when need large volumes of water needed in a high situation.. Yes, the engine puts the fire out but is different from the ladder...

For an adminstrative assistant and no relatives in the fire service, you aren't doing that bad for a rookie

Well I am also glad that you learn more about what we do.. and rescuing cat out of trees isn't one of them

I was in the department a long time before I got it straight..

A lot of rural departments don't have trucks or ladder trucks, especially the ladders. Also in addition they have tankers - carry over 1000 gallons of water), since most rural area don't have fire hydrants.. Most call the truck - a rescue - carries portable lighting, rescue tools, emergency kits, trauma boxes, O2, some may also carry a portable cascade system (filling SCBA - air packs). It mostly depends on the departments and if you a urban or rural, Paid or volunteer, tax based or majority fund raisers..

If you have any questions drop me an email and I will attempt to answer your questions, if I can't I will find out for you.. Look at my profile for my home email address and if you have yahoo messinger you can get me that way at times to.. just look at my profile...

Later and keep learning..

JVB

that is some pretty impressive information Louisiana Medic! Thank you for taking the time to help me find my way out of the jungle. I will be sure and send you a mail as soon as I have grasped the avalanche of info that you can be fortunate to call your own. I was just getting friendly with the idea of trucks and ladders and now I am taking a swim in a "tanker" with 1000 gallons of water!!! This road is going to be a challenge but I think I might actually be able to find my way through it! Bear with me, I will only bother you with pertinent questions!
    Have a nice day and thank you again for the friendly reply!
    Jennifer

Forum Member

You are very welcome, and any question is more than welcome... You will be no bother.. I always enjoy helping people interested in my profression...

A little more about my back ground. Been I volunteer firefighter for 20 years, got into EMT - 18 years ago and been a Paramedic now 16 years.

Volunteer firefighter/Paramedic on my off time. Paid Paramedic for a private ambulance in there offshore division. I work in the Gulf of Mexico on the jack-up drilling platform..

Feel free to email me anytime, if I am slow to answer it's not because I don't want to, but busy too...

I am married and have 3 children with my first wife and 4 step children belonging to my second wife... No children with my second wife...

looking forward to hearing from you...

Bob

Forum Member

Hi Jennifer,

I was happy to read your post because I felt like I was the only one as well. I have a friend who is a volunteer and my cousins husband works on an Engine. Yes it is a little disconcerting so I was glad to see I am not alone. I found myself here for the very same reasons you gave. 9/11 really woke me up to the fact that I had taken those in the fire fighting profession for granted. Since then I have attempted to understand and learn more about them and the profession. I have a great respect and appreciation for what they do and try to express that from time to time. I actually felt bad that I didn't realize this before. I've read "Firehouse" and I ended up in tears. All firefighters deserve our thanks and respect.

I am glad you asked that question about the Engine, trucks and ladders. I've had the same question but I was too shy to ask. Also, thank you Bob for answering the question.

Once again I am glad to meet you and hope to see you here again soon.

Darcy

Forum Member

Darcy,

Feel free anytime to email me with any of your questions also.. Glad I was able to help..

Bob

Forum Member

Thanks Bob

If I have any important questions I will feel free to ask.

Darcy

JVB

Greetings Bob!
    Thanks for sharing a little of your background! Nice to have a teacher who knows what he is talking about!!! Don't worry about any lengths of time it may take you to answer any mails... I'm not the kind of person to get upset over things like that. I am grateful that I am getting any help at all O.k Mr. firefighting Paramedic Professor Bob.... now I've got a question or two to throw at you! You mention that "the Engine puts the fire out but it is different from the ladder" Maybe I aught to eat some breakfast before doing this to my brain cells but hey...I don't always follow my common sense! I think before I drive the both of us to the point of distraction I will simply quote what is written on page 11 of book "Firehouse" which I am reading so that you can see where I am getting my info from.

"The house contains both engine and ladder (or truck---when the firehouse terminology is written out, it is Engine 40 and Ladder 35; when it is spoken among the firemen, it is always 40 Engine and 35 Truck). By tradition and assigned role, it is the truck that finds the fire in a given building, and whose men search for any survivors and get them out of the building; the men on the engine pump the water, attack the fire, and finally put it out."

When I read this passage Bob I am given the impression that the Ladder and the Truck are identical. Do you read this differently? That this book makes no mention of a "Tanker" is understandable since this book revolves mainly around Firehouse 40/35, which is not in a rural area, but located in downtown Manhattan which has more than it's fair share of fire hydrants!(is my sense of logic doing justice or am I way off track?) My second and probably most embarrassing question is....... what does EMT stand for??? (somehow I have the feeling that the answer to this one is the easiest in the world and that I can pack up and move to Burma in the hope of escaping the shame!) Please don't rush any answers to my mails Bob. As you see I tend to write pages and I don't want anyone to be under any pressure of answering immediately!!!
    Have a wonderful day!
    Kind regards
    Jennifer

JVB

Hi Darcy,
    welcome aboard the crash course thread of "Firefighting for the clueless" made possible by the friendly support of Mr. firefighting Paramedic Professor Bob! I can understand how you feel about asking questions on these forums! When you are surrounded by (high ranking) professionals you tend to feel like some kind of naive idiot who aught to go back to school before daring to show his/her face anywhere! As for me... I am not shy in any way, shape or form. If you feel safe posting here then you go right ahead and do so. This is a place where there are no stupid questions. Take strength in the fact that I am just as clueless as you and that some of the questions I may ask will probably send any respectable Firefighter into any given state of uncontrollable laughter, irritation or downright frustration!!! You can only learn when you risk something and that includes risking humiliation, which is something I am brilliant at! If you can't laugh at yourself yet Darcy...don't worry about it... you will! I have made a fool out of myself so often that one can't help but laugh hysterically.
    Welcome aboard Darcy, this venture in learning is going to be fun.
    Kind regards
    Jennifer

Forum Member

Answers to questions and please don't call me professor Bob - makes me feel older than I am..

#1 The answer is yes, truck can also be referred to as a ladder- and the job they do is correct - find the fire - ventilate over the fire to get rid of smoke and heat and do search and rescue. You are alos correct big cities do not have tankers - because of the hydrants - a common tanker in the rural settings hold anywhere from 1500 to 3000 gallons of water, there are a few departments that have tractor-trailer trucks as tankers holding 6000 gallons of water..

There are other types of fire apparatus also - including the rescue (can be refered as a truck also (confusing isn't it)- it may or maynnot have a pump or water on it, but carries rescue equipment,extrication tools, cribbings, extra air packs, and other fire and rescue tools; grass/brush trucks - for putting out grass and brush (woods) fires, mini pumpers (engines) - they want to be a fire truck. A mini pumper is an engine with 500 gallon a minute pump and less than 250 gallons of water.. A engine has a 500 to 2000 gallon a minute pump and hauls anywhere from 500 to 1000 gallons of
    water.. A tanker may or maynot have pump but holds 1000 to 3000 gallons of water.. A ladder (or truck) may or may not have a pump ar carry water, has a fixed ladder from 55' to 150' (don't quote me on the top side number); they also have snorkles and telesquirts - they look like the trucks that work on the electric and phone compnaies use but with a pump and water tank..

Once I get back and I have my scanner up and running I will scan you pictures of the different types of trucks that various departments in Pennsylvania & Louisiana use.

Answer to question #2 is Emergency Medicial Technician ( no need to move to Burma - but you may want to visit for a couple of months though )

You are welcome..

Bob
    Last edited by LouisianaMedic; 06-23-2002 at 07:48 AM.

JVB

Calling you "Professor" makes you feel older than you are??? Just for the record... I work with Professors of Information Technology that are barely 30. Puts you in your mid 20's then I assume! Nevertheless, I will remember not to call you Professor anymore!

Pretty amazing that a vehicle can carry so much water in it! 6000 Gallons??? Just so that I can put it into perspective... can you give me a basic idea what size fire could be put out with 6000 gallons?

How does a Firefighter differentiate between a Truck (as in Ladder) and Truck (as in Rescue)? Would a Firefighter ever refer to a Rescue Unit as a "Truck"? You mentioned below that you are a volunteer Firefighter and a Paramedic. How does it work when you are called? Do you get told in advance what your responsibilities will be on that shift? I mean, if you were told that you are to function as a Paramedic that day then you would obviously mean the Rescue Unit when saying "Truck"!!! (sorry Bob, has my sense of logic blown yet another fuse in your logical mass??? If so, please accept my apologies)

Telesquirts???? Now that sounds like something for me!!!! "Tele" because they look like the telephone company trucks and "squirt" as referring to the water?

Pictures would be a great help if you have the chance!

If EMT = Emergency Medical Technician
    does EMS = Emergency Medical Support?
    (If the latter is correct then I will not check to see if my company has a subsidiary in Burma!!!)
    What made you decide to become a Firefighter/Paramedic Bob?
    Thanks for putting up with and answering my questions!
    Have a nice day

Forum Member

Default Better ask about Burma...

No need to applogize about asking questions, wish more people would ask, I am sure there are more people like Darcy, wants to ask, but don't on grounds of sounding foolish..

Most Professors I know are in there last 50's early 60's. Wish I was in my twenties again. I am in mid 30's, started in the depart when I was 14 as a junior firemen, now called explorers...

as Far as ladder vs a rescue - calling it a truck depends on the department and if they have both. Most of the time we use ladder and rescue, because they are all trucks.. Ladder truck, rescue truck, tanker truck...fire truck...

When next time you are in firehouse go to the apparatus part, and you will see a lot of trucks...and what I am talking about.

No exactly because the look like a phone truck - but because the have a booming arm like the telephone company has, and then squirts water out of the end.. Telesquirts don't have a bucket on the end for people like the snorkles do..

EMS - means Emergency Medical Services - I quess you are going to Burma Now

6000 gals should put out an average size house, but then again depends on the size of your house, how much is in your house to fuel the fire and how big the fire is - such as one bedroom or the whole house.

Again, not a problem feel free to ask here or by email... I love to answer questions...

As far as the volunteer goes - we get paged out and respond from wherever we are whether it be our homes, the store, the station, etc. When getting to the call depends on the call whether I am a Paramedic or a fire fighter - I check in with the incident commander and he assigns the jobs we do. Of course if it is a medical or car accident - I am a paramedic - On a fire scene depends on if the are victums or not whether I fight fire or do medical. No apologies need... Took me about 5 years in the department to learn most of the terms, but I am still learning to.. Each department is the same but different do to coverage area they cover, whether they are paid or volunteer... So keep asking and keep learning...

And you have a nice day too...
    Last edited by LouisianaMedic; 06-23-2002 at 11:54 AM.

Forum Member

Hello again,

Jennifer, I'm learning just from reading Bob's answers to your questions. I think I have seen Tankers in Weiser ID in the Fiddle week parade. Different looking from the vehicles I see around my area. One fun note. The Firefighters bring up the rear of the parade and those riding on the trucks enjoy giving the parade watchers a good dousing. No one minds since most have been standing in the hot sun for at least an hour plus.

Now I have a couple of questions. I have been wondering what firefighers do at the station on a really slow day with few calls. Also do volunteers experience the same sense of "brotherhood" as the career firefighters?

Just curious

Darcy

Forum Member

Darcy,

Let's try this again... failed last time I tried to reply..

Two very good questions...

Question 1: Slow Days:

After shift change inspect and check equipment, put up hoses and equipment used the night before. Training - whether physical - mental or both.. after that is said and done, relax, watch TV - play video games, excercise, lift weights, etc. Depends of department and whether volunteer or paid...

Question 2: Brotherhood

That is a BIG FAT YES! We are all close, whether we know them personally or not. I remmeber back in 95 a fire fighter died from a local department near my hometown. My dad video taped the procession took over 2 hrs - attending approximately 250 fellow firefighter, Emergency Services personnel, and police officiers with over 100 pieces of fire apparatus, ambulances, and police unit.. It is a tight brotherhood - paid or volunteer...

Oh by the way curiosity killed the cat, but for weeks I was a suspect... ( a little bit of humer early in the morning)

Hope this helps....

Bob

JVB

Question Motivation behind becoming a Firefighter

I am reaching the end of "Firehouse". The book has been a roller coaster ride which has sent me through all possible emotional levels. Despite the fact that the Firefighters the book revolves around were, to some extent, vastly different to one another I believe to see that they all had one thing in common... they were warm hearted and cared about all living things with a vengeance. There isn't one where I would have thought that he wouldn't give his last shirt to save someones life. What is the motivation behind becoming a Firefighter Bob? What was your impression of what Firefighting was all about when you became a junior Fireman at 14? I don't normally ask such in depth questions but somehow the Career of "Firefighter" is surrounded by some kind of magic and I am trying to understand where it stems from!
    I hope you can help me out with this one. Perhaps you would prefer to ask a couple of others to share their insights.
    Thanks and have an awesome day!
    Jennifer

Forum Member

Thanks Bob,

I've been wondering about those two questions for a while. I'm glad that volunteers have the same share in the brotherhood. I don't have any new questions tonight but that doesn't mean I won't have more.

I'm feeling kind of blue tonight One of our county deputys was gunned down this weekend I went out to place flowers at a makeshift memorial. I didn't know him personally but I still feel bad. Your little bit of humor made me laugh. Thank you, I needed to laugh.

You take care, OK.

Darcy

JVB

Default I'm so sorry Darcy

That is just terrible. I don't think it matters if you know someone personally. When I was a girl a dancer from the ballet school I went to was murdered by her ex-boyfriend and I cried for days. I had seen her once or twice but I didn't know her at all. Nevertheless, I found it tragic. Your bringing flowers to honour this man was a wonderful gesture.
    {{{{{Darcy}}}}} (these are cyberhugs just in case you didn't know.
    I wish you a peaceful day Darcy.
    Kindest Regards
    Jennifer

Forum Member

Default Thanks Jennifer

I appreciate the cyberhugs This incident hit everybody in our county really hard. I returned there to leave a tape of comforting songs for the Officers family and to pay my respects one more time since I cannot attend his memorial service tomorrow. The roadside memorial has grown exponentially since I was there last. I was able to talk to several officers standing guard there and tell them how much I appreciate what they do. Just like our firefighters, they too put thier lives on the line for our safety. I think people realize this more than they did before 9/11.
    {{{{{{{Jennifer}}}}}}}

I'll try to lighten up a bit now and ask Bob another question. This one might be kind of silly. In pictures of firehouse garages I have seen what looks like a huge vacuum(sp)cleaner hose hanging from the ceiling, can you tell me what that is?

Anyway, everybody take care and be safe!!

Darcy

JVB

Talking I don't have a clue about those Vacuum Cleaner hoses!

Hi Darcy!!!
    you want to talk about embarrassing or silly? This Dimwit has never even seen what you are talking about! This is definitely a question for Bob! I am really going to have to stick my face into the Firehouse around the corner and see if they have something similar!
    I agree with your statement that the events of September 11th have caused many of us wake up to the dangers our Firefighters, Police and military personnel face to protect us. I have to honestly say that, although I was always aware of the risks they ran, I never really realized just to which extent they would go to attempt a rescue. It is more than overwhealming and has made me take a "magnifying glass" look at the respective fields and the people behind them. These people seem to have a powerful character and sense of duty and I think it is incredible. This is why I asked Bob to share his motivations with me, if possible. I hope he finds an opportunity, but even if not... it is fabulous of him to help in the way that he has been.
    I hope you find relief from your grief Darcy. {{{{{Darcy}}}}}
    Have a lovely day!
    Jennifer

Forum Member

Smile

Hi Jennifer,

Maybe those hoses are peculiar to New York Firehouses since the pictures I've seen them in were in the book "Brotherhood". They hang next to where the trucks sit. I bet they have something to do with taking care of the truck. I sure would like to know though.

Things are beginning to normalize here in Washington. The memorial service for our Deputy was beautiful. Over 500 cars from police departments all over the state and even a few from Canada and Oregon made up a procession almost four and a half miles long and over 3,500 people attended. Even the local fire depts got involved including the one where my cousins husband works. I'm sure it was helpful to the Officers brothers to know how many people care. Thanks to a VCR I was able to see it all.

Thanks for the hugs. {{{{{{Jennifer}}}}}}
    You have a great day!
    Darcy

P.S. Did you notice I'm not a new member anymore. I've been promoted to member thanks to you and Bob.

JVB

Default A touchy subject

Hey Darcy!
    if it would not be too painful for you, could you tell me what happened to the Deputy? (but please only if it doesn't do any harm)
    What happened to Bob? I miss the dude!
    Have you noticed the vast difference between the number of times this thread has been read as opposed to the number of replys???

HEY YOU GUYS AND GALS!!!!!YOUR INPUT IS MORE THAN WELCOME HERE!!!!!!
    FORK OVER ANY KNOW-HOW, IDEAS, COMMENTS. (please be kind when practicing criticism. I already know that I am a Firehouse ignoramous... that is why I am here) It would be nice to have any feedback anyone would care to give.

Thank you!

(I hope that this is acceptable for you Darcy!) Have a glorious day and be honest if you don't care to give any details regarding the Deputy, I will not be offended in any way!)
    {{{{{Darcy}}}}}
    Jennifer

Forum Member

Hi Jennifer,

I don't mind telling what happened because this man was a hero and people should know.

It all started when a man with a history of assaulting police officers was let out of jail for "good behavior" two weeks ago.

Last Saturday Deputy Rich Herzog got a call that there was a naked man running around an intersection banging on peoples cars and such in the middle of the small town he worked for. He responded alone and confronted the man who was acting extremely aggressive. Deputy Herzog sprayed him with pepper which didn't have any effect. They struggled and the Deputy's gun was knocked out of it's holster. The two of them dove for it and the naked man got it. Deputy Herzog then ran away from the area to lead the naked man away from bystanders. There is a McDonalds there and a fruit stand. The naked man fired on him several times knocking him down and then... This is upsetting... he shot him at point blank range until the gun was empty Bystanders tried to help but there was nothing they could do. The naked man then ran to his apartment and later surrendered to Police. He may now face the death penalty.

Deputy Herzog had retired from the Army Special Op.s and had been with the County Sheriffs dept for 7 years. He was a husband and the father of 2 teenage girls. He didn't work in my community. I live about ~20 miles away from where he worked. He was a good cop and well loved. I wish I could have known him. This incident was particularly brutal and one of the most tragic things that happened in our state in a long time. It has touched a lot of people and a lot of people have shown a great deal of care and support for our Police. I only hope that something good can come from this. It was good to see the Police and Firefighters and Citizens pull together to comfort and support each other.

2H2... 2H2... 2H2... GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

I hope this didn't upset you Jennifer. It's hard to talk about and I still get a lump in my throat, but I think people should know. Deputy Herzog was a hero just for doing his job everyday.

{{{{{{{Jennifer}}}}}}}

Darcy
    Last edited by Darcyf5g; 06-30-2002 at 03:33 AM.

JVB

Unhappy Hey you!

it did upset me Darcy but don't you worry your loveable head about that. When you spend your life in a relatively protected environment you sometimes tend to see things through rose coloured glasses. This does not, however, depict "real life". Life is a mix of good and bad and you can only survive in it if you have an idea of both. Learning is growing and growing pains are a part of it. I did'nt expect a peach and cream answer from you sweetie so if I ask for it..... let her rip.
    Deputy Herzog was a fine man and a hero. He is in a wonderful place and he is loved and admired by all those he has had to leave behind. I do not think that the criminal in this case will enjoy this status when his time comes. Can you understand what I mean?
    {{{{{Darcy}}}}}
    Hang in there kid, your heart is in the right place and you are making a friend.
    Jennifer

Forum Member

Default When it rains it pours

Hi Jennifer

If you are so inclined, our County Sheriffs department could use some prayers. They are having a tough time. We almost lost 3 more deputies in a drug bust yesterday!!! Thankfully all 3 are expected to recover. This is NOT the norm for my area. honest!!!!!! Anyway thank you so much for your kind words and yes I understand what you meant about Deputy Herzogs attacker.

You are making a friend too. {{{{{{{Jennifer}}}}}}}

What do you think we can do to get a little more interaction from the folks on the forums? Do you think they would mind too much if we jumped in on the Firefighting forum or the Off duty discussion forum with some questions? I want to know what those hoses are. I have noticed how many views this thread gets as opposed to posts. Maybe they only read the first post and not the rest. Anyway I hope Bob comes back, I wonder where he went? Maybe he is on vacation for the 4th.

FYI. There are a couple books you might be interested in. One is "The Fire Inside, Firefighters talk about their lives" by Steve Delsohn and the other is "Firefighters, Their lives in their own words" by Dennis Smith. I am halfway though the latter and it is real interesting.

I am looking forward to the 4th. My local Firehouse is putting on a pancake breakfast and I plan to attend. It's a great way to get better aquainted with the community.

Thanks again for your kind words.
    You have a great day!
    Darcy

MembersZone Subscriber

I think everyone started reading the interaction between you all and didn't want to break up the rhythm.

Louisiana Medic seems to be doing a pretty good job explaining it all but feel free to ask away and I'll add another voice in here if necessary.
    Michael "Mick" Mayers
    Acting Director, Urban Search and Rescue
    South Carolina Emergency Response Task Force
    www.sctf1.sc.gov

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 72 12341151 ... Last

Thread Information