Thread: fire science

Default fire science

In order for me to join the local fd as a career firefighter after high school, my parents told me that I have to go to college, so I figure I'll make the best of it and get a degree in fire science while im there. My only problem is I cant find any colleges or universities around here that actually have a credited fire science degree. Do any of you know of any colleges or universities in the south that have credited fire science degrees??? If you please name them. It would be a great help.
    LADIES LOVE ME.
    FLAMES FEAR ME.

"I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO THIS FLAG, IF THAT BOTHERS YOU WELL THATS TOO BAD!" AARON TIPPIN

If you wish to burn our flag please remember to wrap yourself in it first!!!

ALL SOUTHERNERS ARE EXEMPT FROM ANY AND ALL OF MY YANKEE COMMENTS ON ANY AND ALL FORUMS.

THE SOUTH WILL RISE AGAIN!!!

Forum Member
    Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

I think Texas A&M does, and I know it's not really in the south, but U of Maryland does too.
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm not sure exactly where you live, but check with the dept.'s you may want to try to get on with to see if its required. In my area Fire Science degrees are a nice to have, doesn't hurt to have type of thing to have on your resume. With civil service it doesn't really matter, its later in your career that degrees may come into play. NYC requires college credit or military experience, but it doesn't matter what type of degree. To be honest with you, I'd shoot for a management type degree, if you become a career firefighter, or decide you'd like to try law enforcement, later when you go for promotion, the little letters after your name come into play when you score the same as other guys on the promotion test. You can always get your fire science degree while you work, but if all else fails still go to school while your on the list, with other types of degrees it may help you find work while your waiting which is just as important.

Texas ATM has a program thats 12 weeks long and by taking it you get certified by the state of Texas as a firefighter. But the waiting list for that school is 3 to 4 years. Many community colleges offer fire science programs. So you might want to check at your local community college.
    BC

We fight what you fear

Thanks guys keep the answeres coming please. Its not that I have to have the degree. I know that I dont have to have that, buy my parents are making me go to college before I start w/ any dept, so I figure that while I'm there I can go ahead and get a fire science degree.
    LADIES LOVE ME.
    FLAMES FEAR ME.

"I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO THIS FLAG, IF THAT BOTHERS YOU WELL THATS TOO BAD!" AARON TIPPIN

ALL SOUTHERNERS ARE EXEMPT FROM ANY AND ALL OF MY YANKEE COMMENTS ON ANY AND ALL FORUMS.

Oh yea and I live in southeast Louisiana
    LADIES LOVE ME.
    FLAMES FEAR ME.

you should look at some of the community college in the area. or if you want to go away to school u of maryland has one of the best programs in the country.

Here is the Texas ATM fire school website.

www.teex-esti.com/programs.cfm?
    BC

We fight what you fear

oklahoma state university has a really good program. they also have a few clubs realated to firefighting, a fire station on campus, and an entire dorm floor dedicated to the fire protection students. i'm from the northeast and i am considering either oklahoma state or the university of new haven.

MembersZone Subscriber

There are many programs, all over the U.S. For fire fighting, I would look into your state's community college system and see if it offers an associates degree program, typically in fire science technology. Bachelor degree programs are offered in public administration and engineering/engineeringtechnology. Masters and Doctoral level programs are offered in public administration and engineering.

The programs that I am aware of in the U.S.:

A.S. (2year)>>community college programs are most closely related to fire fighting.
    B.S. (4 year)>>University of Maryland and Oklahoma State University offer Bachelor programs in engineering/engineering technology, respectively. University of New Haven are public administration degrees. University of Kentucky, I believe, has a safety/engineering technology degree.
    M.S. >>U. of Maryland, Worcester Polytechnic Institute offer engineering degrees. Arizona State University has a Public Administration degree.
    PhD. >>Maryland & W.P.I in engineering; A.S.U. in Public Administration.

I am sure that there are others with related degrees; U.Cal--Berkeley, for instance.

As for firefighting, the A.S. in Fire Science and the B.S & M.S. in Public Administration are probably the most relevant.
    Last edited by dhavenshome; 06-30-2002 at 06:08 PM.

Forum Member

Central Piedmont Community College, in North Carolina teaches it. Im not sure about the length and so on.

Thread Information