Default What is the diffence between a stutter tone air horn and regular?

does anybody have sound clips?

I dont think ive ever heard a stutter horn

all of our trucks have 2 horns, both say grover on the back, both of them are the same length and they are loud.

Forum Member

Grover Stuttertones are much louder.On the back they with have the words "Emergency" on the round back part.

ok
    ours say emergency on them
    i guess whe have stutter tones

i was just picturing kind of a interupted noise like rapid honking

thanks

Peter
    Peter L

Forum Member

We have one engine with a stutter tone and have been trying to get them put on each truck as it's built but no luck so far. Basically it is an air horn with two pitches and it alternates between the two. Very distictive and very cool. It just belongs on a fire truck!
    Train like you want to fight.
    www.kvfd.net

Baltimore County, Pikesville / Halethrope Maryland Areas USA

Thumbs up Stuttertone Air Horns

All the information above is correct, But they is a way to tune the horns that make them stutter, the wa-wa-wa- sound.
    First find a place where you will not BOTHER people with the constant blowing of your air horns- or else ??? The horn has three main parts- the center UPRIGHT Housing where the air comes in from below and is pushed out into the SOUND CHAMBER which houses a spring and a stainless steel disk (some times brass)- with a spring between it and the housing back. Have (I lost you yet???) Buy unscrewing the front HORN and unscrewing the rear sound chamber back housing AND then positioning them both at different turn ins or outs of the horn along with the air horns sounding you can attain the true stutter sound. If you have two horns both must be tuned. The theroy is air pressure pushes up against a metal disk with a spring pressure behind it and the horn applying pressure against the forward side of the disk,you adjust till you get the pitch and sound you like. I speak from expierance as my company had a system that was plumb with 1/2 air,(can't do that anymore) they would shatter glass- wa-wa-wa sound, even also had a special stutter tone foot airvalven to sound the horns.It was great fun keeping them in tune.WE have our new ALF horns tuned. Sorry for being so long in the tooth.
    Good Luck...Capt JB
    JB

Default Pressure protection, air brakes

Great post, John. If you have two horns, they consume twice the air of one. If you measure noise output, you will not a strange physical characteristic. Each individual horn will emit about 120 dBa at 10 feet. The two combined will emit about 110 dBa. A loss of about 10 dBa when combined. A noise cancelling effect takes place, and twice the air is depleted from the air brake reservoirs. Per NFPA 1901, the air brake system must have a pressure protection device placed in accessory circuits to protect the air brake system from total depletion during accessories usage. The air horn is a supplimental, not primary, warning device. The air to the horn should shut off at about 90 PSI. And re-establish if pressure is above 95 PSI. Complaints of loss of air horn during heavy use is common with apparatus that have twin horns. The horns come back when the pressure rises. My specs have called for only one horn since 1978. Any apparatus that are acquired via mergers and have twin horns get one of the horns disabled. Engineers have come to the shop and made statements like: "Thanks for fixing the air horns, they don't shut off during responses anymore". After installing pressure protection devices on rigs that did not have them before and shutting off the second horn, we get responses like: "Thanks for fixing the air system. The low air warning buzzer does not come on anymore during responses. Yes, in the urban traffic, the horns are used substantially. Air horn diaphragms last about a year before cracking. If you do not have the pressure protection device on you apparatus, please install it. Stay safe, maintain the air pressure for what it was intended. Air Brakes.

Thanks for allowing me to bend your ear.

Respectfully submitted,
    A.D.(Tony) Bulygo
    SCCFD, CA

Thread Information