Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Cairns Sam Houston N6A

A few questions regarding the N6A for those more knowledgeable around here

1- If manufactured in 1994, did the ADJ-MED size include the ratchet currently found in the Cairns leathers and is it possible to reinstall a ratchet into the helmet?

2- Will a brass eagle manufactured lately by Cairns fit problem-free on an N6A?

3- What exactly is the range of sizes covered by an ADJ-MED Houston back in 1994? I have approximately a 6 7/8 size and the small size without ratchet fits a little tight and I think an ADJ-MED with ratchet would do the trick.

Thanks in advance for your help

Chris
    CFD

MembersZone Subscriber

Looking at the yellow one on Ebay?

I don't think the 94 helmets had the ratchet suspension yet, and I think that this and lack of impact cap may not make them NFPA approved. The new eagle should fit fine, however, and your head will most likely fit.

Forum Member

I bought my leather back in 92 and all it has is the old "snap" type adjuster , it did have the "skull cap" inside it but the thing sat to high on my head and one of my friends did me the honor and got rid of it like his...been sitting fine since then with no problems....Even went thru the academy like that :-)

Thanks for the replies. I don't think the old-style adjuster band is too effective. Either way, I think I can eventually adjust it to fit well.

Chris

I just replaced the silkscreened eagle shield holder on my N6A with a carved brass one...much better! As long as the holes line up, it's not a problem, otherwise, you may have to drill a few new ones as per the instructions that comes with the kit.

Mine is a newer N6A.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

I just ordered one for my son.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Thread Information