Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    2 or 3 lengths on each. Minimum of 20'

Not a big deal to get hard sleeves from the other engines...we aren't miles apart and if a draft is needed for that volume, there is a few minutes available to get them.
    Yea, no, I get it... Just curious.

You'll certainly have time to put it together.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

No problem, was a lot of discussion when speccing out the new engine.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Can you supply it from draft via one steamer connection?
    Nope and we know that. And that is why when we installed our dry hydrant we had twin 6 inch dry hydrants installed about 6 feet apart. Works GREAT.
    “The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, is nothing, and becomes nothing. He may avoid suffering and sorrow, but he simply cannot learn and feel and change and grow and love and live.” Leo F. Buscaglia

This place gets weirder and weirder every day...

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Nope and we know that. And that is why when we installed our dry hydrant we had twin 6 inch dry hydrants installed about 6 feet apart. Works GREAT.
    Sweet......
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Sweet......
    Yes, it is. It is located close to a large cheese factory and the County Nusing Home, mental lock up facility, and elderly/low income housing apartments. We have 3500 feet of 5 inch hose and can cover a good portion of the "business district" from that dry hydrant. It is designed to be used to supplemet the village's haydrant system.
    “The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, is nothing, and becomes nothing. He may avoid suffering and sorrow, but he simply cannot learn and feel and change and grow and love and live.” Leo F. Buscaglia

This place gets weirder and weirder every day...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SFD_E73_RET View Post
    It sounds to me like you have 2000 gpm pumps for the right reasons. I see some urban departments who never draft and don't even carry hard suction run 2000 gpm pumps, why? You can get over 2000 gpm out of a smaller pump with good hydrants. Spend your money on big power and big brakes.
    Remember that is 2000 gpm at draft at 150 psi. Start pumping higher pressures and that rating drops down. the hydrant prssure coming in helps to increase the pump max gpm. but operates on the same higher pressure less flow curve. Start pumping to high rises 20+ floors even attached to hydrants the gpm rating is going to drop. by having larger pumps on urban engines it lessens the need to tandem pump to obtain those high pressures and bigger flows.

Thread Information