Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default We've All Seen The Damages, This Seems Like A Good Idea

We've all riden on public transit and seen the grafitti and vandalism everywhere. This is Victoria's trial solution to at least part of the problem. Just have to wait and see how it works out:

Seat slashers face alarming transit ride

Malcolm Curtis
    Times Colonist (Victoria) Tuesday, June 25, 2002

Careful where you stick that pointed object when you take a seat in one of B.C. Transit's buses in Greater Victoria -- you may be in for a surprise.

Transit is testing an alarm that will activate with a loud beep-beep noise for 45 seconds if the seat fabric is pierced in any way. Designed by B.C. Transit's engineering staff, the device is meant to thwart vandalism that is costing the bus service about $50,000 a year.

The alarms will be randomly installed on several buses for a pilot period, transit spokesman Chris Foord said Monday.

"We've tried to develop a home-grown solution to combat vandalism," Foord said. The system is believed to be unique in North America.

Most of the damage results from vandals using knives to rip seats, he said. Graffiti, also known as "tagging," is also a problem on buses.

Foord described the new devices as similar to smoke alarms.

"Is one going to go off prematurely? Maybe, but we won't know until we test it."

If the alarm sounds, transit management has instructed bus drivers to drive to the nearest bus stop and open the doors to allow the culprit to leave the bus.

This will serve as a warning that vandalism is no laughing matter, Foord said.

Once the seat alarms are tested, "we will be working on apprehending anyone who wants to try to cause damage to buses," he said.

Foord was reached in Kelowna, where B.C. Transit was showing off that city's first double-decker bus, similar to those already in service in Victoria.

© Copyright 2002 Times Colonist (Victoria)

Who knows, if it works, might be a best seller world wide.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

If the alarm sounds, transit management has instructed bus drivers to drive to the nearest bus stop and open the doors to allow the culprit to leave the bus.
    They should have a cop meet them at the bus stop, and arrest the guy not let him just walk away. I don't think letting everyone on the bus know that you are defacing it will do much, except give them a headache from the alarm.

Hmmm... wise use of tax dollars, or another fast ferry undertaking?

Forum Member

I'm thinking the idea is to prevent any altercation between the driver and the vandal. I would imagine procedure would be to radio the culprits location, description etc to be passed on to the police. I wouldn't think they would have the time or the resources to get an officer to the next bus stop in time.

Sounds like an interesting idea, but does the $50,000.00 loss per year justify the cost of the project?

if anybody out there has ever worked with the Oshkosh p-19 they may of heard of this but it happened to me. The p-19 is our world wide readiness truck, all this means is it can be packed up and flown around on a C-130. The trick is the roof turret comes off for trans and needs to be pinned back in place before operation. Well ya quessesed it i pinned the thing wrong and shoot the turret in to the air. This is where it gets funny. The pump engage switch is just a toggle switch, center is off left is water and right is foam. In my rush to turn off the water that was coming into the cab at about a 1000 gpm's that I went right passed off to foam. The cab filled from floor to roof in about a second. The pictures where great I might have them around some where. No nickname yet but the chances of gettin one is allways out there.
    SRA Matt Reichle
    Driver/operator
    USAF Fire Protection

Default Re: We've All Seen The Damages, This Seems Like A Good Idea

Originally posted by Malahat Two-7

Transit is testing an alarm that will activate with a loud beep-beep noise for 45 seconds if the seat fabric is pierced in any way. Designed by B.C. Transit's engineering staff, the device is meant to thwart vandalism that is costing the bus service about $50,000 a year.

What happens to the poor drunk that has just gorged himself on bean burritos and has piercing...um... gas? I can picture it...**HHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOONNN NNKKKKKKKKK** .. beepbeepbeepbeepbeep!!

Oh that wacky Ministry of Transport...what won't they think of next?
    May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

Default Take them to the nearest bus stop?

Does that mean the bus driver would face charges also - for driving the get-away car?!!
    www.cafepress.com/firerev

LadyCapn

I was thinking the same thing about the cost. That and it looks more like an open invitation to vandalise.

Come PlayDestroy Ours BussesToday's winning contestants will hear a loud Tone when they have done enough damage. Prizes today include a get out of jail free card, because we'll drop you at the next stop.

Seems to me it would be more effective if the tone wasn't sounded, but the driver was alerted, along with the transit cops. Then the transit cops could radio the driver and let him know whether or not they can pick the culprit up at a stop.

The system would work on the sky train, because they are talking about posting transit cops at every platform anyway.

I understand why they are doing it, but I have a feeling it will turn into another 'fast ferry' project. For those that don't know about the fast ferry's, our government spent something like 40 million dollars per ferry, used them for less then three months. They had to stop because of the land erosion created by the wake. Now they can't sell them. I think they managed to get rid of one for 4 million dollars, but the others are still sitting in dry dock somewhere.

Thread Information