Question Pierce All-Steer

We are researching possibilities for aerial apparatus. The all-steer seems to be a good choice in order to gain aerial length and still maintain the ability to manuver in tight areas. Any input or experience you could share would be appreciated.

MembersZone Subscriber

Although I'm sure you'll get some good feed back here, I would also suggest you ask Pierce for a list of Dept.'s (with contact info) near you who already have apparatus similar to what you're interested in.

A M/A department here recently purchased a Pierce All Steer unit, but I'm not sure they've placed it in service yet. I'll try and get some feed back from them next time I see some of their members.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Forum Member

I read an article, I believe it was in Fire Rescue magazine, that compared a Pierce All - Steer against a tiller unit. This was shortly
    after the All-Steer came out.

The All - Steer beat the tiller in many categories and was found to be much more maneuverable in tighter areas than a tiller unit. The only thing that must be done is to PRACTICE and learn to use the All -
    Steer system to its utmost potential. I have heard a few stories about departments that have not used the system to its potential and still have problems with maneuverability.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Hello KGreen,

I am a volunteer for a Dept with three Pierce Quantum all steer pumpers. (Cypress Creek VFD Quantum All Steer Pumpers )They do require extensive training and since you are looking at a ladder truck you will have to spec two rear axles (they each have a 25,000LBs limit) and a cost of 22,000US. Our ladder truck is very close to the legnth of the pumpers and we can easily make u-turns in a standard culdesac...the ladder is at least a three point and sometimes four point turn in the same area. There are several problems.

1. You will go through tires very quickly
    2. More points of failure
    3. Higher service cost
    4. We had a bug in our computer that controls the system and have been in the shop quote a few times. Everything seems fixed now and the other two pumpers are fine.

If you would like more info please email.

Andy

MembersZone Subscriber

Apatrol, please elaborate on the problems you have had with your 3 Pierce Quantum pumper/tankers. I have heard many things, but please clear the air on the problems. Thanks in advance.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

NHTSA recall on the Pierce All-steer.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/proble...s/central2.cfm

If that had worked, it would of said that this all-steer thing has been recalled because of moisture getting it the wiring causing the axle to suddenly turn, if the key is on.

Also, on previous discussions on this , there have been alot of complaints about how fast it goes thru tires. The NAEVT site did have a good bit of user info on this, and again tires were the biggest problem.

Look at the NHTSA site under recalls, Pierce, year 2000, rear axles and suspensions.

Thread Information