Question Moving to New Hampshire, any info?

I'm thinking of moving to Concord, NH. Anybody have any info on any good volunteer departments in the area? I've checked out the state web site and will be taking the test in september for the carrer side but I still want to volunteer and get my certs transferd over. Any ideas on where I should start?
    Thanks,
    Kevin McGee
    Virginia Beach, VA

Thumbs up

I live in New Hampshire if your are look to move to NH. The conord fire dept is fill time only But thare is a Lot of volly and paid-on fire dept. in new Hampshire
    live free or die

Check out the US fire dept links on this site, alot of towns in my area don't have websites though.
    David Brooks,
    Captain, NRFR
    Newmarket Fire & Rescue
    Newmarket, New Hampshire
    http://www.NewmarketFire.com
    (All opinions are my own)

Default Concord Area Volunteer Departments

I live in Pembroke NH, a town bordering Concord, and we have a really good volunteer Fire Department, however I will tell you that if you look on a map, every town that borders Concord also has volunteer/call Fire Departments.

I also work full time for the NH Fire Academy and would recommend calling them at (603) 271-2661 to see how many/if any of your current certifications will be accepted in NH.

I hope this helps.

Good luck,
    Stay low, stay safe.

Mike
    Mike Walsh
    Captain
    NH Division of Fire Standards and Training

The views presented here are my own and do not represent the Division of Fire Standards and Training

You had better look LONG & HARD at being a part of the fire service in NH. Ever since the state became accredited and built their multimillion dollar training facility anyone who has been trained in NH is pretty much starting all over again. There is some level of reciprocity, however the whole thing is so sketchy that if you don't pass the first time (and they don't give you insight into what it is you are being tested for/to) you have to start again.

I will say that NH isn't the only state that acts this way. State-to-state mobility is a problem in the fire service. So, unless you plan on staying in your home state of training forever, you might be redoing everything when you are now classified as a Ole'Jake.

For me... I think I will go back to my home state of training. I think it was actually better anyways!

IACOJ Agitator

Originally posted by FireAdvocate
    (and they don't give you insight into what it is you are being tested for/to)
    I find that very hard to believe.

FieldTrainingNH, what do you have to say about that?
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Default Sad to hear

It is unfortunate that people look at being accredited as inhibiting Firefighter Mobility throughout the country, for that couldn't be further from the truth. The NH Fire Academy trains firefighters to the NFPA standards and our certifications are accepted (and we accept certifications) from 30-something states. If you have taken older classes there are bridges available to bring you up to current standards. Finally, FireAdvocate is correct if you are challenging the state exam you are given one shot to pass the test. That is based on the premise that the state doesn't want to hand out certifications to those who do not have a full understanding of the materials. I realize that I am biased, but I feel that NH does an excellent job of training firefighters and I am happy that I got my certifications here.
    Mike Walsh
    Captain
    NH Division of Fire Standards and Training

The views presented here are my own and do not represent the Division of Fire Standards and Training

In response to Capt. Walsh's reply; The accrediation is based on the criteria by which a states administers it's certification program and not how it conducts it's training. Given that a state's training, training materials, module testing and subsequent certification are consistently applied against NFPA 1001 (and other) standards should be evidence of capability. Yet, NH and many others chose for you to be retested again... and this isn't just for the 30 or so ProBoard states, there are states that are also IFSAC (do these also get acknowledged), or... how about those that aren't ProBoard or IFSAC BUT are still NFPA compliant?

The point that I'm trying to make is that mobility is difficult (and in some cases impossible) without continual retesting and retraining. AND the reasons are all over the board as to why a receiver state would require retesting/retraing (...from accreditation protection to supporting the training program to the impact of county vs. municipal funding and union/non-union influences). At the present time you put up and do what is required of you in order to meet your personal career objectives. That does not mean that it's right, and it doesn't mean that change isn't needed. I do find it a bit ironic that someone with active fireservice experience, recently certified (less than 5 years ago), and served in a fire leadership position needs to reprove themselves. It reminds me of seeing smoke rising from the rear of the building, mounting a frontal interior attack only to realize that the occupant is having a cookout.

MembersZone Subscriber

No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

I find it hard to believe. I took Rescue Systems I up there in Oct 01' and the guys were great. They said they would keep us abreast of classes to take if we wanted. I got friendly with a Concord FF who also teaches at the academy. Everyone was helpful. Top notch facilities as well.
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

Puffy: This is not an attack on the quality of the training, or the personnel involved. In fact, I would expect that someone who is doing training is nothing but top shelf. In fact I took some of the best Natural Gas Transmission Line Fire Supression (OSU), Extrication Training (Hurst), and other training that was likewise the best. However, the issue of mobility on a state-to-state basis has nothing to do with the training (from either reciprocity or from the standpoint of a state being accredited), it has everything to do with how it is handled. For the most part those states that are accredited require retesting but may also require retraining. You probabily will never see a 'National Registry' type program in the fire service because each state has varying delivery methods. There are several things that the states could do to improve present processes; 1. offer a bridge program for reciprocity candidates (will generate both revenue & applicants), 2. Require that those who are certified maintain a certain level of CEU (Continuing Education Credits), and 3. Have a better understanding of their program as compared to other states.

As I said earlier, one has to do what one has to do to meet career criteria. Just because you jump through the hoops does not mean that the hoops are correct.

Thread Information