Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SCOTT problems?

Default SCOTT problems?

What kind of problems or dislikes, if any, have you Scott users been having with your BA´s?

From what I read in this thread Scott seems to be one of the best BA´s and I agree based on the little experience I have from using it. But nothing man made is perfect, everything has its week spots.

What I am interested in knowing is if you have had any problems i.e. with the mask, cleaning, exhalation resistance, pass, ease of breathing, cost of spare parts, etc etc. etc?

MembersZone Subscriber

The only problems we have had with our Scott Fifty SCBA has been the straps. They are very comfortable to wear and do great in everyway, EXCEPT ONE. During "Saving Our Own" training, we broke about 10 SCBA straps during the different evolutions. They do not seem to hold up as well as the older Kevlar straps on the tried and true wire frame Scott SCBA. Other than that, they are hands down the best SCBA on the market.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

Forum Member

The only problem I have ever had with my dept.'s SCOTTs was a weak bypass. To reset the PASS device, you must bleed off the regulator by opening the bypass, and one time I had a bypass turn too far and screw off of the regulator. Other than that incident, I have had no problem with my department's packs and I really like them.
    The opinions I post to these forums do not represent any entity to which I am affiliated.

The biggest problems we have encountered have been with the masks. The AV2000 masks have had cracking problems in the area where the facepiece regulator attaches. None were severe enough to cause a leakage problem, and all instances were corrected by the manufacturer's rep. We have also experienced problems with the nose cup exhalation valves coming loose and falling out. Not a difficult fix, and does not compromise user's seal in IDLH atmosphere. Otherwise, no problems severe enough to mention, after 20 years or so use of SCOTT products. By the way, we have not experience the same strap issues with our 'fiftys' and firefighter rescue/removal techniques employing the straps as a make shift 'harness' (which of course is NOT recommended or advised by SCOTT, but is a technique we also practice to employ in emergency situations)

Stay safe

I have not experienced no problems associated with defects or poor workmanship. Any problems encountered have been due to wear and tear.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Scott Air-Paks!

I have been a SCBA service tech. for over 15 years. In that time I have been certified on Scott, Surviviar, and MSA. In my experience Scott has least amount of maintenance problems. The exhalation valves were an issue in the first few years of the AV-2000, but they have corrected that. The first few years of the Air-Pak 50 backframe they had some problems with the straps lossening up but those also have been corrected.

Hope this Helps.

P.P.

Talking Scott PAK

My department has only used Scoott Paks since they were introducted. We upgraded from the Scott 2.2 to the high pressure 4.5's about 4 years ago. These SCBA's are the best around in my opinion. I have used survivior air and cairns--they don't even come close to the ease of operation of the Scott. This pak is also very durable and very easy to maintain. We first only had paks with the Kevlar straps and have since switched to the Scott Fifty Paks. They are extremely comfortable and durable and unbeatable. Remember, this is only my experience and opinion with the Scott.

Thread Information