Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Double Whammy

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Default Double Whammy

SOLDIER CHARGED WITH SEX ABUSE IS SUSPECT IN ARSON

Copyright 2002 Sun Media Corporation
    The Edmonton Sun...06/28/2002

PAUL COWAN, EDMONTON SUN

An Edmonton soldier is suspected of arson after a blaze broke out in a hangar at a U.S. air force base.

The 39-year-old can't be named because he has also been charged with sex offences involving his stepdaughter.

"The fact that the fire was at Tinker Air Base near Oklahoma City where they had that bombing at the federal building only added to the Americans' frenzy over this," said a source at the Edmonton Garrison.

"The alleged sex offences came to light after the arson investigation had begun."

A long-standing agreement between the Canadian and U.S. militaries means that the master corporal will be dealt with by the Canadian authorities if charges are laid in connection with the Feb. 20 hangar fire.

An AWACs early-warning plane had to be towed out of the burning hangar after the fire started in an office used by Canadian air force personnel attached to the U.S. 552 Air Control Wing. Damage is estimated at $500,000.

The blaze prompted a joint investigation between the Canadian military's National Investigation Service and the U.S. air force Office of Special Investigations.

The soldier had returned to Edmonton and was on his way back to Oklahoma when the arson allegation was made while he was en route, said Capt. Steve Lowery, the suspect's temporary commanding officer.

After he returned to Edmonton the sexual abuse allegations surfaced. The master corporal, an administration clerk, was sent back to the Edmonton Garrison in April.

"He was arrested upon his arrival (in Oklahoma) and, after discussions with the district attorney dealing with the case, it was decided to return him to Canada to be dealt with."

Charges were laid against the man in relation to the alleged sexual abuse under the National Defence Act.

"Following discussions with the Crown prosecutor it was decided to drop the military charges and have him arrested by Edmonton police and charged under the Criminal Code," said Lowery.

The man is expected in provincial court today to face one charge of sexual interference, two charges of sexual exploitation, two charges of sexual assault and one charge of extortion. The abuse is alleged to have begun in 1996.

it was decided to drop the military charges
    Does this mean he gets away with the arson scot free and will be punished only for the sex abuse charges???? Will the punishment be more severe through charges under the Criminal Code as opposed to him being charged through the military? Two-7 or any other military forum members are you able to shed any light on this?
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

HOLY !!!! First I will say that I am not at all happy to hear about this one. But that's life... And as always this is going to create a media circus. Just as in the fire service, you can do 1000 good deeds, but one "Ah S#!+, and it's all over".

it was decided to drop the military charges
    Does this mean he gets away with the arson scot free and will be punished only for the sex abuse charges???? Will the punishment be more severe through charges under the Criminal Code as opposed to him being charged through the military? Two-7 or any other military forum members are you able to shed any light on this?
    No-yes. I know that doesn't make sense but basically what it comes down to (I also am an Admin Clerk) is that the charges are actually regulated by the Criminal Code of Canada (that's the NO), which of course is a higher court authortity.

Also the possible scale punishments that can be metted out by the CF are not conducive to the actions, so the investigatons officer(s) had determined that this is better handled by the civil courts. In most cases, the sex offender charges alone would be enough to be referred to the civil authorities.

On the other hand, if for example the mil court decided to try him and found him "not guilty", his record is totally wiped clean, as if it never happened. (Memories are another thing altogether though.) If he were to be found "guilty" though, sometimes the punishments can be worse than the civil courts; these particular charges/punishments could include: jail time, (in this case I don't know how long - for most charges it is two years - less one day.) a very substantial fine, a reduction in rank, and or discharge from the service with a notation on the file that this person cannot ever be employed by the CF, or any other Federal Government employer. This last one usually hurts the most because if you have that on your file, it can be very very limiting. In most cases even "regular civilian" companies will not hire you because you are no longer bondable = trustworthy to most employers.

In this particular case, the US authorities will also be allowed to present evidence against this person, and as in any court of law will carry equal weight. The only reason that he may "get away" on the arson charges is for lack of proper documentation. I hope that this will not be the case here.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Thanks Two-7 that helped alot. I think I misunderstood. I thought there would not be charges brought against him for the arson. But after reading your reply and re-reading the article I realize I mis-read it. Its not that the arson charges were dropped, but rather that he will face those charges in civilian court instead of military. So let's take it one step further. If he does get convicted on either the sex charges or the arson charges (or both) what will that do to his military career? Will he still face dishonorable discharge??
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

As with all like this it will be a case by case application. However (and this is STRICTLY MY OPINION HERE)is that, yes he will loose his career over this one. The sex case is bad enough, but there are "international" considerations here also.

That said, this was a relly bad time for this one on account of the incident in Afgahistan and the troop deaths there.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Thread Information