Default Truck Company Operations

Assumming that you do not have a dedicated truck company in your department:
    1. Who does the truck work?
    2. How is it assigned? (by IC, SOP/SOG, etc.)
    3. Is it normally an after thought or is it an integral part of the fire attack?

Forum Member

We do have a ladder truck but in the event that it cant be rolled then our rescue would be designated t truck co. operations. It has most of the same tools as the ladder truck plus a K-12 which the ladder truck does not. The rescue company would sue ladders off of the engines since it doesnt have any.
    "I truly believe that tradition is important to the long-term survival of the fire service."-Lt. Andrew Fredricks, FDNY,9-11-01

Forum Member

We do not have a Truck staffed 24-7, So at a fire it is usually an Engine company that will do the trucks job or Sq102 which carries alot of the same tools as truck just minus the ladders

Ventilation is a vital role in our firefighting operations
    Ventilation is assigned by the IC
    Last edited by Engine101; 07-01-2002 at 02:21 AM.

Forum Member

We have never had dedicated "engines" and/or "trucks". It's all firefighting and we try to do what needs to be done when it's needed. Our guys are trained in all phases of firefighting and trucks are assigned their duties by SOG's and IC. Can't say it will work for everyone, but it works for us.

District Chief

Most of the time Engines with folks on them that are marginally trained do it (not very effectively) or a mutual aid truck is called in. Otherwise...it does not get done.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

MembersZone Subscriber

At my current dept. we always have a truck company. With prior depts. it was normally the 3rd or 4th due engine and was assigned by the IC.

Thread Information