Thread: Punishment?

Forum Member

Default Punishment?

After the Mississippi River flooding of 1993, it was found that a person supposedly working on the levee at West Quincy was the person who actually weakened the levee, causing a breach and massive flooding for miles around.
    He was sentenced to Life in prison for causing a catastrophe.

Question. We now hear that a park worker and a BIA Firefighter have allegedly caused two of the most devastating wildfires in recent history. Assuming, of course, that they will not have the resources to make restitution, what do you think the punishment should be if they are found guilty?

The Doc is out now.

Forum Member

A fair trial, followed by a first class hanging!
    Steve
    Proud member of the IACOJ
    SUA SPONTE
    "I've got no respect for any young man who won't join the colors."
    ~Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

MembersZone Subscriber

A fair trial then life in prison is fine with me.

And the b&#(@ that started the fire in Colorado should also be tried for the death of the brothers that perished in the van accident. That was her fault too as far as I'm concerned.

Ed
    I.A.C.O.J.-Member

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits".-Albert Einstien

"If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door"-Milton Berle

MembersZone Subscriber

A fair trial is a right guaranteed to every citizen. Right now, these individuals are innocent.

Life in prison and hanging are probably not within the federal sentencing guidlines for these crimes. Does anyone know what the federal sentencing guideline for this type of charge is?

MembersZone Subscriber

No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

A fair trial, but afterward probably answer to the thousands of people whose lives have been dramatically changed by these fires.
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

Forum Member

Originally posted by George Wendt, CFI
    A fair trial is a right guaranteed to every citizen. Right now, these individuals are innocent.

Life in prison and hanging are probably not within the federal sentencing guidlines for these crimes. Does anyone know what the federal sentencing guideline for this type of charge is?
    Here it is: www.ussc.gov/1998guid/2k1_4.htm
    Steve
    Proud member of the IACOJ
    SUA SPONTE
    "I've got no respect for any young man who won't join the colors."
    ~Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

MembersZone Subscriber

What do we do with two (part-timers) looking for work?

Be safe the dragon still bites

Sr. Information Officer

Unhappy

Arizona 13-1703. Arson of a structure or property; classification

A. A person commits arson of a structure or property by knowingly and unlawfully damaging a structure or property by knowingly causing a fire or explosion.

B. Arson of a structure is a class 4 felony. Arson of property is a class 4 felony if the property had a value of more than one thousand dollars. Arson of property is a class 5 felony if the property had a value of more than one hundred dollars but not more than one thousand dollars. Arson of property is a class 1 misdemeanor if the property had a value of one hundred dollars or less.

13-701. Sentence of imprisonment for felony; presentence report

A. A sentence of imprisonment for a felony shall be a definite term of years and the person sentenced, unless otherwise provided by law, shall be committed to the custody of the state department of corrections.

B. No prisoner may be transferred to the custody of the state department of corrections without a certified copy of the judgment and sentence, signed by the sentencing judge, and a copy of a recent presentence investigation report unless the court has waived preparation of the report.

C. Except as provided in section 13-604 the term of imprisonment for a felony shall be determined as follows for a first offense:

1. For a class 2 felony, five years.

2. For a class 3 felony, three and one-half years.

3. For a class 4 felony, two and one-half years.

4. For a class 5 felony, one and one-half years.

5. For a class 6 felony, one year.

13-801. Fines for felonies

A. A sentence to pay a fine for a felony shall be a sentence to pay an amount fixed by the court not more than one hundred fifty thousand dollars.

B. A judgment that the defendant shall pay a fine, with or without the alternative of imprisonment, shall constitute a lien in like manner as a judgment for money rendered in a civil action.

13-804. Restitution for offense causing economic loss; fine for reimbursement of public monies

A. Upon a defendant's conviction for an offense causing economic loss to any person, the court, in its sole discretion, may order that all or any portion of the fine imposed be allocated as restitution to be paid by the defendant to any person who suffered an economic loss caused by the defendant's conduct.

B. In ordering restitution for economic loss pursuant to section 13-603, subsection C or subsection A of this section, the court shall consider all losses caused by the criminal offense or offenses for which the defendant has been convicted.

C. The court shall not consider the economic circumstances of the defendant in determining the amount of restitution.

D. Restitution payments that are ordered pursuant to section 13-603 and this section shall not be stayed if the defendant files a notice of appeal, and the payments may be held by the court pending the outcome of an appeal.

E. After the court determines the amount of restitution, the court or a staff member designated by the court, including a probation officer, shall specify the manner in which the restitution is to be paid.
    ------------------------------------------------
    There is more...blah, blah, blah....but you get the idea.
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

District Chief

I am with George...a fair trial is everyone's right. We may not all like the time it takes or the cost associated with it (me included) but none the less it is a must.

I am not sure the punishment....the time must fit the crime... Perhaps have them both spend time replanting all the forests they destroyed and then if after the 80-100 years it will take to accomplish that have them go on a speaking circuit and talk about the dangers and catastrophies created by arsonist. (I am sure O2 and a wheelchair will be necessary.)
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

They should be punished all right...these people are supposed to be fighting fires and they set them!!! Talk about a couple of idiots!

For now, I say that they should have to help people that were evacuated that are coming back home with moving any belongings back in and they should also help the ones that lost homes find another place to live and help them move in.
    After that, fair trial and if they are convicted then they should get whatever punishment that the judge gives them.
    Oh, and how about PERMANENTLY banning them from any type of firefighting?
    Alisa Tappana, NREMT-B/CNA

All the views, comments, etc expressed herein are mine and not those of my training program or my employer.

"You can't make footprints in the sands of time if you're sitting on your butt. And who wants to make buttprints in the sands of time?"
    -Bob Mowad

My understanding is that he has been CHARGED with a Federal crime with a max under guidelines being 10 years. Remember, under Federal sentencing you do the whole term with little off for special circumstances.
    Bob Compton
    IACOJ-Proud
    IACOJ-HALL OF FAME-2003

MembersZone Subscriber

Well, reading the Federal Sentencing Guidelines is like reading the tax code, it's very confusing. But from what I can see, this person is subject to at least a 10 year max. There are provisions for bumping ir up for aggravating factors such as causing widespread damage and setting the fire for a profit. There is also a substantial monetary fine, but frankly, it will be hard to get blood from a stone.

Sorry, people, but there is no provision in Federal Law for the unusual types of sentences you are proposing. The federal code is written with the practical interests of the justice system in mind, not the emotions of ticked off people.

IACOJ BOD

Do you have any recourse at all to a national arson register.

I mean I keep reading about all these mutts that light em up, do a few years and then go join a Fire Department in the next town / state.

Can't you get something going, even through the Union would be a start.

I agree with every comment about the fair trial and fair punishment to match, that should be every persons right. It just seems strange to keep recycling these people into the service afterwards.

PS I was not saying it should just be FF arsonists.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Interestingly enough, the BATF currently is authorized to operate a National Arson Repository and currently has agents assigned to it. the program is not yet up and running, but when it is, I suspect it will be as beneficial as a similar operation set up by the FBI known as the Bomb Data Center.

Thread Information