Post Combat Challenge Preparation Tips & Suggestions

I am applying for a job with a paid department. After passing the written test, all applicants compete for time in the combat challenge. The applicants do not wear bunker gear, and do not breathe from an SCBA, but are required to wear long pants, t-shirt, athletic shoes, a helmet, gloves, and a nonfunctioning SCBA. Upon completion, the applicants are ranked by time on an eligible list for interviews, background checks, etc.

I have a little less than 2 months to prepare for the test and am interested in any suggestions wich will help lower my time.

It sounds a lot like the CPAT to me, whether or not it is is inconsequential, the idea is the same. Destroy your legs at the gym, stairs, or hills. Punish them. Legs, legs, legs. Squats, deadlifts, presses, lunges, mid-level weight for 10-12 reps as many sets as you can stand, little rest between sets (you won't have any rest on the course!) However, if it is THE Combat Challenge, complete with tower and all, you will need to do SPEEDWORK (plys, stairhops, sprints up stairs. If it is THE CPAT, speed on the stairs doesn't do you any good (the stairstepper portion is timed, so everyone does the the same 3:30 (might double check the time) so work on SSLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWW deliberate heavy movements with your legs, and burn your muscles that way. It will, at least it did for me, move much much slower than you would normally walk stairs.

Whatever you do, start NOW. Even if you are the right track, you'll get run over if you sit still...
    ...if you put the handline in the right spot, you won't have to jump out the window...
    -Andy "Nozzles", SQ18, 9-11-01

Thread Information