Lone Hunter
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default help with gift idea for wildland ff

Not my area of firefighting.I know someone who is looking for a gift to give to a wildland ff.What would you find usefull? Thanks.

Well, without knowing the money your friend wants to spend, a Buck knife or leatherman tool come to mind.
    Kestrel makes an excellent pocket weather kit.
    Garmin makes some impressively useful GPS units.
    Cell phones are also really handy for a guy on top of a mountain without a pay phone.
    Any photos of a fire he's been on? One blown up is nice.
    How about a t-shirt from a fire?
    And you never go wrong with a St. Florian medal...
    Good luck, stay safe.

Sr. Information Officer

Talking One of those, two of these....!

Hmmm, the possibilities are endless!
    A good solid, dependable headlamp. Petzl comes to mind.
    How about a new Bullard wildland FF helmet?
    Emergency strobe lights are a handy little extra!

How much are you looking to spend? There are software mapping programs available from DeLorme that could be useful, in conjunction with a GPS unit.

Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Forum Member

A hot shield or new pair of ess goggles.
    Steve
    Proud member of the IACOJ
    SUA SPONTE
    "I've got no respect for any young man who won't join the colors."
    ~Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA

Default How many of these are "issue"?

Fellas,

I'm the one that my new friend posted the original question for about my nephew who's a wildland ff in CA, and I appreciate all your ideas. I have already taken one suggestion to get him a good pair of mini-binocs, something that's clearly personal gear, and will send him some more goodies as well.

I have a follow-up question...

How any of the things you propose are also "issue" by his agency, and how many are supplemental? If the answer is that you're always short of personal comfort items (e.g. the Camelbak hydration systems) as well as important safety gear, what would you spend your $$ on FIRST?
    Think in the no-more-than-$100 range for individual items.

I believe what goes around comes around, and I hope someone will think of my son, too, when he finishes his fire science associates program and goes on the job if I'm no longer here...

Thanks and stay safe

Bruce...if your guys intend to do this for a while (i.e. more than a year or two...)
    The number one thing I would buy my son for the price would be a good quality, lightweight three man backpacker's tent!
    More than anything else that is the best. Don't let the three man thing fool you, it's just big enough for a man and all his gear comfortably.
    Although, as I get older, a nice Thermorest pad for the sleeping bag is getting more important! Light, and sooo comfortable.
    A good tent is in the $100 or so range, a thermorest runs about $50.
    Wish them well, and tell them:
    Listen to the experienced guys!

Sory, Bruce...I didn't quite finish.
    Very little of the above are issued. Your nephew will get all the basic stuff given to him, although we like to upgrade those things once in a while. For example, he'll be given goggles, but they won't be top-of-the-line, you know?
    I think nearly everything mentioned above would be supplemental, and therefore his own responsibility to bring.
    Wish him luck, NJ just sent two crews west today....and we tell them the same things!

Forum Member

Well I would have to say a hotshield is a good thing to get, because it will help him in the long run and his lungs too.

Or maybe give him some extra schooling in wildland fire?
    Like if he has had only the S-130/S190 class maybe get him the crew boss class?

Also Cbp3 said something about a tent, this is a good idea a 30 second tent is good, that way he can get it up and take it down very fast. Also a sleeping pad, now that is the biggest and best item of them all, the ones we get are not the best and his back will thank him for it later.
    Also the Supply Cache they are a company that sells fire gear has a blow up pillow, so then he can toss the extra shirts and socks and have a pillow in his fire pack.

Hope it helps

Stay safe,

Most of the equipment that is issued will get you by for the season but it makes a Huge difference to have a little better quality of gear.
    1. Thermarest or some self-inflating mattress: nothing like a good night sleep.
    2. Goggles/sunglasses: again you eyes will thank you. For some reason I have better luck keeping a pair of nice ones longer.
    3. Mini binoculars: Iíve got a pair and they are so handy and popular. Nice for lookouts and looking at wildlife- a great gift.
    4. Camel backs- Very handy another great gift
    5. If your going to do this job a while a good line pack is nice also. Some packs that are issued are how you say- less than acceptable for comfort and functionality. I bought a Nimrod and love it.
    6. GPS- a handy toy sometime useful if you IA/IC a fire and request Air, makes it a lot easier for dispatch.
    7. Multi tools are nice
    8. Carabiners are great for keys, gloves, anything. A great low priced gift, get the climbing ones ($5-9 range) not the dinky toy ones.
    9. Bullard helmet with the 6-point suspension with ratchet back is in my opinion the best helmet. Comfortable, fits your head very well and one of the safest since it fits the head much better and wonít fall off with the custom fit from the ratchet back. About $30.

Thread Information