Exclamation Emergency Response Driver Training

Greetings!
    My chief has "honored" me with the assignment of giving our battalion a class on driving an engine or ladder in "Emergency Mode." Our department (~600 members, Suburbs)is kinda short on info so I'm puttin' the call out to everyone: Do you have any departmental rules/guidelines, or any other info sources which may be added to this effort? Please email (robjk@mindspring.com) some goodies, or better yet post links here so everyone can get in on it!!
    Thanks a ton!!
    RJK

Cool EVOC

Hello Rob,
    My department, all 51 members, have just completed an emergency vehicle operators course. This course consisted of a full day, (8 hours), of classroom instruction and then another full day of actual driving. The driving course consisted of seven stations/evolutions. Because of this course, our department is looking into and evaluating our responses. I believe that we will be using a coded responses in the near future. For example, if we go on a box assignment, and the first company signs off with nothing showing, the rest of the companies will go to a code "c" response. Meaning, continuing only with lights on. This response may even include no lights or sirens. This response can also be upgraded if need be. As much of a wacker as I am and loving to make a ton of noise going to calls, this new Coded response does make huge since because of all the lawsuit crazy people in the world.
    Just a note, we had a private certified company come in and teach the course. They were very educated in the subject matter and made the couse very enjoyable. We all gained from this course.

Good Luck,
    DFD34

MembersZone Subscriber

Lightbulb

Rob,

Have you checked IFSTA's Pumping Apparatus Driver Operator Handbook for help in your project? Volunteer Fireman's Insurance Service has a nice course that might meet your needs. NFPA 1002 and 1451 are more good sources for your training. Good luck.
    BE SAFE
    Before Everything, Stop And First Evaluate

MembersZone Subscriber

If your just looking at the driving aspect then I highly recomend the NAPD driving course. It focuses on control and not speed.

Forum Member

If your company is insured by VFIS you can get their EVOC class for free. If you're not they will do it at a reasonable cost.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

Forum Member

Default Rob

What department you work with?

Thread Information