Thread: Helmets

Default Helmets

Now i am sure all of you will prolly agree with my dept, just cause that is the way life is. But, our dept. just bought all of us juniors just "great" Candy Apple Red helmets for us responding on bikes. I understand the fact of saftey issues and stuff. But, the did not ask for our opinion of what we would want. Instead they went to the nearest bike shop and bought like these stunt bike helmets that look like they are made for snowboarding. I would have liked to have my opinion and say that i would prefer a BIKE helmet. Not a stunt helmet.
    I dont really know why i posted this. I am just a little upset. They are the ugliest things i have seen. They say no helmet....dont respond. It was brought up if i was just going on a bike ride with a friend and didnt have my helmet, am i supposed to go back to my house and get it. Well they guys felt that we should be wearing these stupid looking things EVERY time we are on our bike. Usually i am just strollin around 1 mph with a friend on the sidewalk. Dont think i will injure myself then. I feel like i wanna rebel and ask for different style helmets or somthin. I just cant see myself wearing this going down the sidewalk. I know it is not a bad idea. I dont know, if ya wanna say somthin feel free. Gimme some ideas of how i can make some changes to this rule. Sorry for boring you.
    Visit us at http://www.randolphfire.org

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Default helmets

Yeah that stinks i heard about a department around here that make there jr.s do that since chris kangas , i suggest buying your own bike helmet or if you have one use that.
    I do understand why they want you to wear them im sure they would hate to get a call of child vs. motor vehicle and they arrive and see one of thier own on the ground.
    Not a good site for any firefighter or junior.
    My advice get your own helmet that you like. you got your whole life ahead of you, it would suck if fell and became parellized and was never able to fight fire again.

just my thoughts
    cheif mazzie
    Last edited by dfdex1; 07-02-2002 at 01:35 AM.

IACOJ BOD

Do you normally wear a helmet at all?

If not, and most youth in your area do not, then potentially that is why they got them, it prevents law suits from parents is one outlook. The other is "YES" it sucks fronting up for one of your stations children or family.

ps dfdex1. swap the i and e around in "cheif", please.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Wink Not so bad...

Well, I think you need to look at the bright side of the equation and stop thinking to negatively. First of all, your department took the time and money to purchase bike helmets for YOUR SAFETY! You could show a little gratitude in that area. Secondly, If the helmets are corny looking, buy a packet of sticker reflectors at Wal-Mart and go all out decorating your helmet, and get your Fire Co. some good P.R. along the way. Wearing your helmet to the Dept. during a call will show that the Fire Co. cares for their Jr.'s lives, and after the P.A. Jr. just recently lost his life riding his bike to a call, who wouldn't want to wear one regardless of what they look like. And by wearing your helmet, like metioned above in other reply's you could help avoid a costly lawsuit, that would most definitely hinder the Fire Co.'s financial status. I don't want to say it but you are acting awfully shallow and self centered. Now I must agree with you on one subject, maybe the Fire Co. should have asked yours, and others opinion on what style of helmet you would want. Think long and hard before you start protesting, or do something stupid, because consequences may follow.
    ***The opinions above belong to me. They do not represent my affiliation***
    (Visit us at www.randolphfire.org)

if you're not responsible enough to wear a bike helmet when riding your bike...especial responding to a call...then you don't sound responsible enough to be a firefighter. what's next, your not going to wear your fire helmet cause it does look cool. just deal with it untill you can drive.

Smile Bravo!

Very nicely and accurately worded FireExplorer13!

Forum Member

Default I disagree...

I disagree with you all. Not completely, but I do disagree and see some things differently. The law is that you must wear your seatbelt at all times no matter where you are in the car, or how old you are, according to NYS. However, do we punish the drivers that do not wear there seat belt? Or go over the speed limit? No we don't.

In NYS, where we are, the law says if you under the age of 14 you must wear a bike helmet. If you are a junior you have to be 14 with us, so that means by law none of us are obligated. However, we are punished if we do not wear a helmet?

If you break the law while responding to a call in a motor vehicle, the department does not/cannot punish you. Since we are not breakin the law by not wearing a helmet, the department can not punish us. This is a free country remember? There can be no oppression of this kind, and its an infringment upon our rights. Its personal safety issues, personal, thats it. Get in a car crash and you could kill yourself and other people. Get in a bike accident and you hurt mainly yourself, hardly ever do you hear about a bicycle hit somebody and kill them. We are taking our lives in our own hands when we respond, everybody elses life cannot be dramatically effected. People who respond in cars/trucks/etc. can kill. Why aren't we worried about them responding? Since they could essentially kill someone else.

Do I think the department/company has a good intention? Yes I do. However, I don't think they have the right to press this onto us like they are.

People who don't wear their seatbelt or obey the speedlimit to calls is dangerous. And since they arent responsible enough to wear their seatbelt when responding, I guess they aren't responsible enough to be firemen. Its your own personal safety and as long as nobody else gets hurt, thats what matters, me wearing a helmet is not going to protect anybody but me, and it should be my choice to wear safety equipment when responding, not the board of directors.
    Firefighter/EMT Mitch Cowen
    Hose Co. 1 1st Lieutenant
    Randolph Fire Co. Inc

HNFC FF/President

my company just tells us to be careful when heading to the station for a call. Plus, we're in a small town, and people in our town know who the town firefighters are. They always brake for us whenever they see us running to the station, which helps.
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

mitch,

i'm afraid i have to disagree with you here. technically, no they cant force you to wear that helmet. but, the moment you leave your driveway responding to that call, you are supposed to be under dept. insurance, meaning you are a liability for them. you go get hurt/killed responding to a call without the common sense of a helmet, there goes your insurance for sure.
    Last edited by HFDEXP777; 07-10-2002 at 04:22 PM.

Forum Member

Again, we may be a legal burden to the department but so is every man and woman responding in their cars. They are more of a problem than we are. And thats where the concern should be.
    Randolph Fire Co. Inc

it would be the same issue if someone in a car got in an accident without their seatbelt or exceeding the speed limit. it isnt just us.

MembersZone Subscriber

How is your department suppose to handle an incident adequately when they have to divert some of their man power to scrape you up off the road?
    You are required to wear PPI when at a call or training, the same should apply when en route to a call. You are not going to like everything that is handed to you in life, that is just something that you are going to have to accept.
    The department made a good choice in supplying you with the helmets, they are showing that they care about your safety. I would be honored that the department cares enough to spend the money on your safety.

In addition to your personal safety, there's something else to be thought of here - Effective public relations. Slap a maltese and some reflexite strips on there and look into getting safety vests with your department's name on them printed - the higher ups might absorb the tab and be impressed with your dedication to safety.

Although not as many as in years past, children still look up to us. You could indirectly be saving lives just by inspiring little Buffy and Jody (A special prize will be awarded to any Juniors/Explorers that can name the TV series I got Buffy and Jody from) to wear their helmets when they take their bikes for a cruise. Be happy that your FD cares, and use the opportunity to create your own "Public Service Announcement".

And use what you were issued, in spite of vanity. It's hard to present a professional image when uniforms are based on individuality. Simply put, Showing up looking like the NY Yankees produces a different effect than showing up looking like an itenerant carnival crew.

Default Re: I disagree...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mitch_rfd_ny
    [B]I disagree with you all. Not completely, but I do disagree and see some things differently. The law is that you must wear your seatbelt at all times no matter where you are in the car, or how old you are, according to NYS. However, do we punish the drivers that do not wear there seat belt? Or go over the speed limit? No we don't.

Mitch ur wrong...if a person is over 16 and in the backseat of a car in NYS they are not obligated to wear a seatbelt
    I will go in this way and find my own way out~ Dave Matthews Band

Thumbs down Traffic Tickets

mitch_rfd_ny,
    drivers who donot where their seatbelts do get punished, there called traffic tickets. if your under 14 and donot have a helmet on you can get fined also.

yes, but the point of this was to discuss bike helmets and that isnt being done anymore. i think this post has run it's course, and webteam could you please close it before any more people get in trouble because this gets nasty.

Forum Member

That has been well established Rick. Is what I was saying is that they are punished by law, not punished via department. If you are a junior, you are over 14, and there for the law has no matter. Because the law is not being voided by us not wearing helmets. I support the idea of helmets, I understand that they want us to wear them. But we were given no chance to have any say! They were thrown at us and told you wear these period. Thats not they way to go about this! Its not the way to go about anything involving anybody! You let them know about it, and get their opinion. None of us knew that this was coming until that night when it was brought up during the meeting. If they would have given us some advance notice, maybe I would have been more welcoming to the idea.
    Randolph Fire Co. Inc

Logically, especially as Juniors, you shouldn't have any say in the matter. Not to say that you are a lesser being, but you are in fact very low on the totem pole. Bike helmets are a common sense item, while they may not look cool, or be comfortable, they are in fact safety equipment and should be used. Even if you are the best bike handler around, there's always a driver out there not paying attention/talking on the phone/etc. that can very easily take you out. Broken bones will heal with time - scrambled gray matter on the pavement won't.

Again, carpe diem! You have an excellent opportunity to turn this into a PR gold mine. Get the whole Jr. crew together in uniform with your helmets on and hit the local newspaper - take out an ad with photo saying something to the effect of "_ FD Jr. Firefighters want to remind you to always follow bike safety rules and always wear a helmet". Perhaps talk the brass into allowing you to develop a bike safety program for younger kids and integrate it into fire prevention week activities or as a stand alone program to deliver to schoolchildren.

Aside from being a good service activity, this is the sort of thing that looks really good to throw on a resume for any future pursuits - use it to your advantage. Put the energy it takes to complain into creating future opportunities.

Always remember, every firefighter has at least one department policy that just rubs him/her raw - and there's nothing that says it's wrong to gripe to your heart's content about it, but you should also remember that it's exceedingly rare for your safety to take policy precedence over cost effectiveness.

If U do not do what they say U may not be there very long
    HAVE FUN.IF NOT DON'T DO IT 806

Forum Member

Think of it as your form of a blue light.
    Any statements I have made are my statements, and my statements alone.

Originally posted by JRFireman

[quote:]
    quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by JRFireman
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hehe...I have a red strobe on the back of my bike helmet
    Of course, I live on a state highway and risk my life every time I go to cross the street My first call was for a pedestrian vs. motor vehicle a couple doors down the street... Bike helmets are there for a reason, my brain can attest to that fact. Broken arms and elbows heal after time, but if you crush your skull, your brain ain't gonna get put into a cast and made all better after a couple months. Brain damage is for life. I'd rather have a "candy apple red" helmet than be a veggie and not be able to fight fire

makes good girls go bad

try to make the best of it, buy some helmet cresents, or put FF stickers on it, have a little fun with what you are given. like it was said earlier, you dont wanna end up a LODD b/c you were hit on your bike, like the youngest LODD in PA.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Question

hey fire explorer13 why don't you just have a parent or friend or whoever drive you to the station or the scene?

Thread Information