Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default OSHA vs. Facial hair

Hey,
    Can anyone give me information on OSHA or NFPA Standards on Facial Hair? Much thanks...

Hit the "Search" button on the menu at the left of screen.
    Type "Facial Hair"

Read for hours.

The basic guts is common sense (Why do they call it common when it isn't)

If it stuffs your mask seal get rid of it.

If you have problems with that, re-eveluate your liking for facial hair verses your liking of being a Firefighter.

This is not a personal attack, just my thought. I have one and then I lose the damn thing.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Well...I know the SCBA instructions (with each unit) say not designed for use with facial hair.

I have a small gotee that is just on the front of my chin....Very careful to keep it closely cut and trimmed and usually wait till just before my duty shift to shave.. It does not interfere with my seal aat all. I know that most departments (especially career) don't allow it. But...I know there are court cases where judges have ruled against making folks shave for various reasons....
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

NOTHING shall interfere with the SKIN to FACEPIECE seal. No facial hair, eyeglass frames, radio accessories, etc... Nothing.
    It's only my opinion. I do not speak for any group or organization I belong to or associate with or people I know - especially my employer. If you like it, we can share it, you don't have to give me credit. If you don't, we are allowed to disagree too (but be ready to be challenged, you may be on to something I'm not). That's what makes America great!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default P.P.

I run into this all the time when I am doing fittesting. No matter how good of a seal you can get with what ever facial hair you have it dosen't matter. OSHA says that you can have "NO" facial hair between your skin and the seal.

P.P.

Mongo's back!!! Nice to see ya, Bro!

A few of the guys on my FD have neatly trimmed goatees. We were fit tested for SCBA just a few month agos, those with the goatees had no problem whatsoever with getting a seal on their facepieces (we have the Scott AV-2000's for our 4.5's)
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber Halligan84's Avatar

Gonz,

I don't believe it is even legal for your fit test operator to perform the test. Before the test there are questions to be checked off such as "clean shaven?", "facial deformities, etc... " Allowing any kind of violation of that seal area merely leads to greater and greater challenges of it, after all, who's definition of "neatly trimmed" do you use?

1910.134(g)(1)
    Facepiece seal protection.

1910.134(g)(1)(i)
    The employer shall not permit respirators with tight-fitting facepieces to be worn by employees who have:

1910.134(g)(1)(i)(A)
    Facial hair that comes between the sealing surface of the facepiece and the face or that interferes with valve function; or

1910.134(g)(1)(i)(B)
    Any condition that interferes with the face-to-facepiece seal or valve function.

1910.134(g)(1)(ii)
    If an employee wears corrective glasses or goggles or other personal protective equipment, the employer shall ensure that such equipment is worn in a manner that does not interfere with the seal of the facepiece to the face of the user.

1910.134(g)(1)(iii)
    For all tight-fitting respirators, the employer shall ensure that employees perform a user seal check each time they put on the respirator using the procedures in Appendix B-1 or procedures recommended by the respirator manufacturer that the employer demonstrates are as effective as those in Appendix B-1 of this section.
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

We are not allowed to have any facial hair except a neatly trimed mustache. I see lots of volunteers around here that have full beards .though

Default SOG's/SOP's

Our SOG's state that no member is allowed to have facial hair that would interfere with the proper sealing of a face mask. It is recommended that a moustache is kept with the corners of the mouth, but if it extends farther then that the chief reserves the right to have a person tested. If the test fails, then the firefighter must shave and is responsible for the cost of the test. If you pass then the department pays for the test. Works well.
    K.A. Dempsey
    fire69dawg@yahoo.com
    "If you want to make God laugh, tell him what you are doing tomorrow"

Facial hair includes "stubble". To what degree it does not state but it infers a days growth for the average male.

This is printed in an addendum to the standard. Now I have to start searching for it.

Stand By.

MembersZone Subscriber

I think that anything over 24 hours of growth must be shaved.

P.P.

Thread Information