Default Dumb LAWS...DO you have any?

DUMB LAWS!!!

We have all heard of one or two dumb laws that seam utterly stupid to us but our legislatures still passed them at one point in time. So do you know of any Dumb Laws that effect the fire service in your area?

first example:

Danville, PA: All fire hydrants must be checked one hour before all fires. { from www.dumblaws.com }

Try it for a quick laugh.

KEEP SAFE

James

Forum Member

I used to have a whole book of em... It was kinda old, but some of them are probably still on the books.

A few of the more memorable entries:

It is illegal in Chicago to remain in your seat and keep eating in a restaraunt that is on fire.

In Memphis TN, it is illegal for a woman to drive unless her husband runs in front of her car waving a red flag as she drives.

In San Fransisco it is illegal to shoot jackrabbits from trolley cars.

under the covers...ignoring the alarm clock!

OMG...ROFL
    Jen, EMT-B
    "I got lost in thought...it was unfamiliar territory."
    "I love mankind--it's people I can't stand" --Linus

Forum Member

There was one in Massachusetts that I believe was repealed a few years ago.

It was required of a man to walk in front of his family to church on Sunday carrying his rifle / shotgun.

The enlightened people of Boston have, of course, found that one should not have a firearm much less walk in front of his family with one.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

These are Canadian... don't really affect the fire service, just really stupid.

Citizens may not publicly remove bandages

I think nearly half the country is breaking this one...

No one in Canada may watch or listen to an encrypted broadcast which is not licensed by the Canadian government. This means using US satellite systems such as "DirecTV" is illegal.

My dad actually has TWO satellite dishes, because he can't get the channels he wants on just one.

Here are a couple fire related ones from Iowa

Fort Madison

The fire department is required to practice fire fighting for fifteen minutes before attending a fire.
    Marshalltown

Horses are forbidden to eat fire hydrants.

This was a big enough problem someone had to make a law about it???
    Last edited by Temptaker; 07-02-2002 at 09:33 AM.

Forum Member

This one was introduced by a member of the City Council in the mid 1980's and was passed unanimously...

It is illegal for any individual or nation to detonate an nuclear weapon in or over the City of Marlborough...

Before one makes judgement...this resoultion was passed during a time of tension between the superpowers. The Councilor who introduced this immediately aquired a new nickname "Atomic Bomb Tom"..he was also a fire buff and was part of the group that purchased Marlborough's first fire engine from a private collector and a founding member of the Ancient and Honorable Fire Brigade of Marlborough. He passed away in the mid 90's.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

IACOJ BOD

In our Manual of Armed Forces Law, it is still possible for a Captain in the Navy to order a seaman be Keel Hauled.

For those unsure, a rope is tied to the hands, and another to the feet. The victim is dragged under the ship from bow to stern. In the sailing days it was not holding your breath that mattered, but how many barnacles were attached to the wooden hull. Not many survived.

Don't know many old dumb laws, but some of our new OSH laws are going to be classics.

They came down heavy on the construction industry a few years back and instituted all sorts of safety requirements like harnesses etc that are draconian in nature.

The result is our death rate on construction sites has doubled each year for two years in a row. Way to go OSH.

A friend who runs large construction jobs says that most accidents are occuring when the worker is attempting to move his harness strap from one fixture to the next.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Dumb Laws

I remember quite a few years ago reading someplace that the Firefighters in Rochester, New York must wear ties while fighting fires.
    "The uniform is supposed to say something about you. You get it for nothing, but it comes with a history, so do the right thing when you're in it."
    Battalion Chief Ed Schoales
    from 'Report from Ground Zero' pg 149
    I.A.C.O.J. Member

IACOJ Agitator

State Laws for CT:

In order for a pickle to officially be considered a pickle, it must bounce.

Town records may not be kept where liquor is sold.

City Laws:

Devon:
    It is unlawful to walk backwards after sunset.
    (Devon's not even a city! It's a section of Milford.)

Hartford:
    You aren't allowed to cross a street while walking on your hands.
    You may not educate dogs.
    It is illegal for a man to kiss his wife on Sunday.

New Britain:
    It is illegal for fire trucks to exceed 25mph, even when going to a fire.

Waterbury:
    It is illegal for any beautician to hum, whistle, or sing while working on a customer
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Huntington, WV

*Firemen may not whistle or flirt at any woman passing a firehouse.

*It is legal to beat your wife so long as it is done in public on Sunday, on the courthouse steps.
    These opinions are my own, not of my company or my affiliates

2 in, 2 Out, Pass on, Collar up, SHOW TIME!

Default I'd be BUSTED

From FF881: *Firemen may not whistle or flirt at any woman passing a
    firehouse.

I'd be BUSTED! Lock me up . . .Lock my hole fire company up. IS there any other reason to stand on the front ramp of the fire house except to watch all the girls go by. We got it good to. 1 block off Penn State's Univ. Park campus

Keep Safe all;
    James

PS This is MY opinion not a rep of BLA, BLA, BLA. . . don't ask what the college girls do when you pull out the TIC!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

I remember my Firefighter I instructor saying that in Wisconsin, it was illegal for anyone to keep a lantern burning past 10pm in a barn, stable or carriage house. They also had to be secured to a post at least 5 ft in height so the horses couldn't step on them and knock them over. Also you had to clean your chimmney at least once a season.
    Here are a couple others that are no-fire related:

-A group of 4 or more Indians seen together anywhere in the State were considered a "war party" and could be shot on site.

-Sodemy of cattle is prohibitted.

-It was illegal to beat someone else's beast(horse) without permission.

*Can't believe they actually had to make a law against sex with cattle!! I'm sure these have been removed from the books by now.

Keep your head down and your powder dry!

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Good for South Carolina FF's

Via www.dumblaws.com I found in Charleston S.C. it is legal for the Fire Department to blow up your house. The law was make so that the fire department could create a fire brake.

Talk about defensive firefighting. S.C FF's need not ever enter a structure again.
    Stay safe, stay low and stay away from all that glows

Bobby

Forum Member

I took a fire service law class and the same law about being able to blow up a house in South Carolina exists in Mass. as well. I t sure beats being there longer than you have to be.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

Bobaff and Da Sharkie...

There are some buildings that just aren't worth the powder to blow them into kindling...and you would need an explosives license from the State Fire Marshal...hazmat placards on the sides of the fire truck (and we all know how bright orange clashes with fire engine red!) a permit from the fire department...you would have to hire a detail....screw it....it's a deck gun and ladder pipe party!!!
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 07-05-2002 at 12:47 AM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member
    Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

Talking

In Waynesboro, "It is illegal for a woman to drive a car up Main Street unless her husband is walking in front of the car waving a red flag." And the way some of the women drive around here, they need somebody running in front of them waving a red flag!

Other dumb laws in the great state of Virginia: "Children are not to go trick-or-treating on Halloween." "Citizens must honk their horn while passing other cars." Taken from www.dumblaws.com

Sure, none of these have anything to do with the fire service, but they're still pretty stupid. And last but not least, there is a state law prohibiting "corrupt practices of bribery by any person other than candidates."
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

Not a fire related law, but stupid and currently enforced. In the city of Richmond Heights, MO (suburb of St. Louis), you cannot park a truck on the street for more than an hour. If it is parked in your driveway, it must me behind the front line of your house!

This law was made years ago for two reasons. First, they didn't want people bringing home their unsightly work trucks, they thought it would make the city look "trashy". Second, the streets are fairly narrow, and they didn't want them to get blocked up with trucks on both sides of the streets.

The kicker is this, you can get passenger plates on SUV's. So people go out and get the big Ford Excursion's, put passenger plates on them and they can park anywhere they please. But a guy can go and buy a compact pickup truck, small enough to fit inside of these big SUV's, and they can't park on the streets!

This law came up for review a few years ago and the voters decided to let it stand!

Just goes to show that "logic" really is a four letter word in politics!
    ftm-ptb-rbp
    leather forever

As soon as I find myself, I'll let you know

It is legal to beat your wife so long as it is done in public on Sunday, on the courthouse steps.

Ummmmm....ohhh, this one was great...gave the lil' hubby ideas...now he keeps teasing my about us moving to wv, lol. ~grumbling~ I can't understand why..I'm the sweetest person I know! ~kicking hubby in the butt as he laughs~

As far as blowing up houses goes...wow! Now that's a way to fight fire with fire!

Ember

IACOJ Agitator

Originally posted by FF881
    *It is legal to beat your wife so long as it is done in public on Sunday, on the courthouse steps.

When I was in North Carolina, I remember people saying that law existed there. Didn't see it on the Dumb Laws website for NC, though.

Here are some NC Dumb Laws:
    • It's against the law to sing off key.
    • Elephants may not be used to plow cotton fields.
    • While having sex, you must stay in the missionary position and have the shades pulled.
    • If a man and a woman who aren't married go to a hotel/motel and register themselves as married then, according to state law, they are legally married.
    • All couples staying overnight in a hotel must have a room with double beds that are at least two feet apart. Making love in the space between the beds is strictly forbidden.
    • It is illegal to have sex in a churchyard.
    • Oral sex is considered a crime against nature.
    • A marriage can be declared void if either of the two persons is physically impotent.
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

MembersZone Subscriber

Darn! Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma. And I just put up my down payment on my whaling ship!
    Bryan Beall
    Silver City, Oklahoma USA

Taken from www.dumblaws.com

"Oral sex can not be given or received anywhere" in the State of Maryland.
    Move fast or move aside...

From the dumb laws site, for Indiana:

Baths may not be taken between the months of October and March.
    Check forgery can be punished with public flogging up to 100 stripes.
    One may not sniff glue.
    "Spiteful Gossip" and "talking behind a person's back" are illegal.
    Mustaches are illegal if the bearer has a tendency to habitually kiss other humans.
    It is illegal for a man to be sexually aroused in public.
    It is illegal for barbers to threaten to cut off kid's ears.

LMAO
    Jen, EMT-B

IACOJ BOD

"Spiteful Gossip" and "talking behind a person's back" are illegal.
    THATS NOT DUMB!!!

Very good point, Kiwi. I don't think it is necessarily "dumb" either, I just thought it was interesting, ...I have never seen anyone get arrested for that one!! The entire population would be in jail!!!! LOL
    Jen, EMT-B

Thread Information