Default Florida State Fire College

Anyone attended this college in Ocala, FL? I have been accepted for a class that starts in January and runs till April. Wanted to know if it is as good as it is said to be. Gear, Tuitions, and dorm and food will be roughly $3,600. The only part im worried about is the agility test that has the Forcible Entry Evolution with the 11 1/2 pound sledge, I have never done anything with a sledge hammer before.
    Save 21% the next time you pump gas!

http://www.HugeGasDiscount.GasUpUSA.c om

MembersZone Subscriber

Default 11.5 lb

Start working out rember 11.5 lbs. is not much more than a large sack of sugar-- good luck on the course I've been told that it's an excellent school

Be safe-- the dragon still bites

Sr. Information Officer

If you think the sledge hammer is heavy...Wait until you meet up with the 300 Lb. dummy.
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

District Chief

Default Tough School

I challenged the process there and the instructors are very tough. They are very strict and dont treat you like humans in my opinion. My opinion is that they like to talk down to you...(some of them anyway). But I understand that it may change some since there is to be a new director soon. It is called the fire college, but it is just actually the state agency for delivering fire related training.

The entrance/agility test is similar to the combat challenge test I beleive. Therefore you should start doing some circuit training to prepare yourself. Do some running and do some upper body stuff. Do each piece of the agility and then put it all together.

I think the sledge is only 9 pounds and the "dummy" is 175 pounds.

I know some folks that have been through the academy there and they say it is tough. The heat is definitely a factor also.

Good luck... If you pass and you are a medic and want a job and dont plan on jumping from department to department I know a couple places looking for people.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Originally posted by NJFFS_A16
    If you think the sledge hammer is heavy...Wait until you meet up with the 300 Lb. dummy.
    Well its not the weight of the sledge im worried about, its having to straddle a 50 pound weight and knock it 5 feet past a line with a dead square hit with the sledge.
    Save 21% the next time you pump gas!

http://www.HugeGasDiscount.GasUpUSA.c om

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

I went there 9 years ago and it was a very good school then. January is a good time to start class, you'll end up finishing before it gets real hot there. We just sent one of our newbies there last year and he said it was pretty tough, and he was in top shape. Definitely work on your cardio, they run a lot there. Good luck..
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death."

Gen. Omar Bradley

about how long dos the fire school here take, i just finished EMT here in AMA and i was looking into it to go there

Thread Information