Forum Member
    Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

Post What is your department's policy on Entry-Level Juniors?

So, what are some of your policies concerning Juniors entering working fires, being in IDLHs, etc? Our policy states that if you are 16 or over with a minimum of Firefighter 1, then you may enter under discretion of Duty Officer-In-Charge. If you are not allowed to go in while the structure is burning, can you go in for mop-up?
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

Forum Member

Junior = Gopher.

In NJ, county training academies will not accept anyone under the age of 18 so they can't get certified as FF1. Used to be able to, but not anymore.

We use juniors to hit hydrants, fetch tools, help the driver/operator in anyway they can. We have a few members who are certified instructors and we will walk juniors through a building after most of the overhaul is done so they can get a look and ask some questions.

When I joined (20 years ago) you could be certified at age 16. I honestly don't see why someone would want to join now at 16 and not be able to do much other than be a slave for 2 years. I don't discourage anyone from doing it, but can't figure why they would want to. There is plenty of time when they are 18 to hang around and learn what's going on.

Just my opinion...

Smile

In my department we are allowed to go to any call except mutual aid, ems, and on the interstate. Even then though if we're needed they'll let us go. We're not allowed to go into a working fire unless we're like on the first truck in and every capable person is sent in to do a primary search or something, but even that is up to the officer on the truck. Other wise unless you're one of us that's earned the respect of the paid guys your just a gofor. It's like that until you 18 then you go in just like one of the rest of the guys.

Quote: "kickin' tires 'n' fightin' fires, all in your spare time."

Forum Member

I joined when I was 16. I was able to take the Basic OSHA Structural Firefighter Training and do the burn. I completed my burn in October 2000 and Jan 1 2001, the South Carolina Fire Academy cut out all courses to anyone under 18 years old. I was a Jr. FF until February of this year. I was allowed to help mop-up. The South Carolina Child Labor Laws allows a 16-17 year old to do everything except work on roofs, operate saws, drive fire apparatus, and enter a structure fire. The two year wait helped me gain experience with the dept and prepared me to become a Senior FF.

Current policy is the same. Jr's can attend all calls.
    Last edited by cmjones; 07-08-2002 at 12:36 AM.

Our junior firefighters are allowed to assist firefighters strictly on an exterior basis. We have allowed them to work with brush fires, but that is the end of it.

In Connecticut the rules are pretty well laid out that juniors cannot do much of anything. They cannot even attend a Fire Figther I course. We cannot even drill with them with 'air on'.

In light of the above we have gotten rid of our junior program and have gone to an Explorer program. The explorers can actually do more then our juniors did.
    Jason Zigmont

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Entry-Level? HA!

I just completed Ohio's Basic 36 hour class, however, because I still have my application in the process for the big boys, who carries a lot better insurance than my Post, I must stay outside. However I am allowed to operate hose lines of any size and preform overhaul work so that I do not violate my Post's insurance policy. Sound reasonable? Questions EMAIL ME.

My department doesn't allow jr's to go to any calls unless we are the only people there. Then we can go on the trucks. once on scene we have to stay at the truck at all times. As far as going in a building i dont think any jr's should be allow at any time. First off they are too inexperienced and they are a problem with insurance companies. I think junior firefighters are a good idea but they have no business going inside.

Explorers in my unit are not allowed to enter fires, we are observers for the most part. I know that in our training we are not allowed to enter our burn tower either. When i do a ride-along with the crew i try to ask if they want me to go with them, I am not allowed outside of the truck if im on the Mass Pike where speeds exceed the limit of 65 mph, i thought that the explorer program was more learning and less practice. I thought that there were laws against minors being firefighters, well in the state of massachusetts there are, maybe its my dept. we are a full-time/on call dept fastly becoming all full-time firefighter/emts.

you can be certified as NFPA FF I, II or anything else that you can pass at any age. In our Dept. juniors can go on any call, they just can not go in to burning buildings or other obvious uncontrollable dangerous situations.
    FF/PARAMEDIC/CORONER/TRAINING "MY DAY STARTS WHEN YOURS ENDS"
    **SEE YOU ON THE OTHER SIDE**

Thread Information