Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Conditions for issuing gear

Having met some other local explorer posts around here, and around the nation, I've noticed that many tend to issue their members a set of bunker gear. My post, does not--we aren't even allowed to ride engine (although we have started a supression class that will eventually lead up to riding engine/aerial by the end of the year), only rescue (not heavy rescue, its a cross between that and ambulance type rescue). I know that I'll never enter a working fire until I get hired on and I'm not trying to do that, but I would like a set of gear to use during extrications and MVA's. I'm sorry, but 4 pairs of gloves and trauma sleeves really doesnt keep the glass and pointy metal from poking you. Never know, a car could catch or fire

This brings me to my question, for those of you that are issued gear, where and when are you allowed to use it? and what are the conditions for you getting issued it? How does it differ from the regular F/F gear?

Thanks,
    Justin
    Justin
    VP/Webmaster/EMT-B
    MDFR Post #1403

Temporarily/No Longer Active dfdex1's Avatar

Default gear

The way i aquirred my gear was hitting the street and goingto alot of deparmtnets both union and volly and i just ask them and i said it was for a explorer post and most wouldnt give it up becuase of liability.But i went to one volly department and i talked to the cheif and they had attic full so i took it but under one condition i had to take all the gear even the old rotten stuff which i didnt mind so i walked away with good stuff and not knowing the explorers sizes off hand i took it all home and to the next meeting and test fit and offerd the rest to toher posts and then tossed the rest.

chief mazzie

i was isued gear as soon as i got in. i wear my gear to all calls, insurrance won't cover you unless you have it on, and i attend every type of call. My gear doesn't differ from anybody else's...except the officers but thats common sense.
    Burgess Wills
    Firefighter/EMT
    Windsor Vol. Fire Department
    Chuckatuck Vol. Fire Department

In our post, you are issued gear as soon as there is a chief around to open the gear room for you. We get the same gear that the FF's get, except we have green helmets instead of black.

Smile gear

We are issued gear as soon as an officer gets a chance to get it down for us. We use our gear on just about every training we do. Some of us can ride the trucks too so we're the ones who get the better gear. Our department lets all of us participate in any of the trainings and some of the trainings require us to have gear on.

Quote: "kick'n tires 'n' fightin' fires, all in my spare time."

We all get issued gear as early as possible, without gear you can`t go on a call, not even a medical(unless it`s some weird situation). Gear is part of the job...we may not need it to go interior since we aren`t doing that, but we need it for training, and some of the other calls we`re on.

You need to chat with your Department leaders. If you are allowed or required to do extrication then you have to be provided with protective equipment that is adequate and just wearing gloves and sleeves is not. This is a liability for them and they should realize that. I suggest you request they issue the explorers gear that has been taken out of service and used for spare as long as it is not ratty. If that won't work go on a mission to beg, borrow, acquire () some. You need to protect members. Other option is to begin fund raising efforts and buy your own. You can buy good quality, plain NOMEX that is NFPA compliant for $900 (+/-) per set. Approach local businesses for support. Sell the program and you will be suprised what you can get.

Good luck
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

HNFC FF/President mdoddsjffhnfc's Avatar

In my station, you get your gear the day you submit your application (before monthly meeting) or the beginning of the next month (when your activated) you only get activated right away if you join before the monthly meeting. But once you become active, the gear is assigned to you and your given a spot on the rack. And we wear our old yellow helmets until a black one becomes available.
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

i got my gear as soon as i started. We use it at every call. and its the same gear as the regular FF's.
    Jeff Gurski

We are issued gear. As a Jr Firefighter of Westville we can use are gear to what ever is going on. Since in not allowed in a house fire, i cant really get my stuff dirty. We can ride every truck expect the Squad, First Due Truck out of the Station and the Marine Units.
    Rob aka Squinty

The Fighting Seventy-Third

Westville Fire Department
    Gloucester County
    New Jersey

we get gear as soon as we got on the dept. the cadet have black gear and a black helmets with a orange sheild. at the squad i ride for we needed gear for mva and we went begging to area fire dept.

Post Turnouts

My post does not issue anything that belongs to the post until they have finished the 90 day probationary period. After that they get 2 sets of gear, wildland and structural. The wildland gear is different from the FFs gear in that we are the only ones in the whole department that have any (our helmets are orange except for mine is red for Captain). Our bunker gear is different in that it is made by globe it is yellow instead of grey and had more storage pockets, all of their gear is different from mine because it is my own personal set that belongs to me. Our helmets are Blue with crescents and fronts for rank.

I require that if one of the explorers is on scene that they WILL HAVE ALL OF THE PROPER PPE on that they need, for wildfires it is cap, goggles shirts and gloves. MVAs, Structure fires, etc. Full turnout gear ( I make an exception for MVAs, we mostly only wear pants and helmets, unless it is at night then we wear everything.)
    If one of the explorers shows up on scene without the gear they need, they are not allowed to get anywhere near the action, they are stuck in support areas i.e. accountability, tanking operations, gopher, etc.
    For the ones that do have all of the PROPER gear they are allowed to get down and dirty and put the fire out ( I allow them to fight structure fires from the outside and on the ground ). we also wear our pants and stuff when we work with hoses and water at the drills to protect our pants and stuff.

Cody Winniford
    TVFD Explorer Post 200 Captain

Wink

I am the Lt. In my explorer post... When a member gets sworn in and they are "officially" in the post we will issue them gear. The First set of gear that they receive is a old set of gear that is taken out of service and a old helmet without a shield. After they have completed there probation time they are given a new/better set of gear and a brand new Ben Franklin helmet with a Green shied. The color that all of the explorers gear in my department is support to be is black with red striping and a black helmet with a green shield .

Forum Member

Are dept. issues gear the first day and we just bought brand new PBI and are gear is all the same as the seniors even our helmets except they say JR. on the sticker and we don't use the nomex hoods we got since we can't go in. But are dept. still has all the old gear sitting in the back office .

Unhappy well..man that sucks

I dont know where they got it but it's issued when you are voted in.
    We get the bunker pants,jacket,glooves and yellow helmet,black mask,white/black hood. pager
    those who do ride....for the discretion of the Lt. he will let you wear whatever. For vehicle crashes i just wear the pants and some glooves and follow the medic....some bunk out in all of their gear and whatever else they bought. it doesnt differ much except what you carry in it. we have jsut about the same gear as they do.
    (if i knew what they were called id tell ya..brand but i dont..i can find out though)...and thats all we waer them on for riding along.
    But training time we were them when we got to tear down a school. Aerial, charging the lines, catching hydrants and whatever else we do.
    And thats it...and the air tanks. we have old school ones. scba's...
    the firefighters use scotts and ...i forgot the other name.
    "wait for.....it wait for it....your all so so so so fake"
    Q-uiz

Thread Information