Thread: Responses?

Question Responses?

Anyone started receiving responses to their 2002 apps yet? Does anyone have an idea when responses will start coming back?
    Greg Smith
    Assistant Chief
    Gakona Vol. Fire Dept.
    Gakona, Alaska

Forum Member

According to an article in this week's Pennsylvania Fireman FEMA is reviewing the applications through May and announcements will start in late May, early June.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

Great! Good to know ... thanks for the information.
    Greg Smith
    Assistant Chief
    Gakona Vol. Fire Dept.
    Gakona, Alaska

car120
    Firehouse.com Guest

I heard today that the peer reviews on applications that made it through the first computer scored round have been completed. Announcements should start by the end of the month/begining of June.

How's about our firehouse.com reporters checking into this? Inquiring minds want to know!

car120
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation Looks like the ball's rolling!

I know of two departments in my area that have received an e-mail from FEMA/USFA directing them to download a federal direct deposit form, bring it to the bank for appropriate signatures, and express mail return it to them ASAP. Sounds like a REAL good sign for them! Both applied for vehicles.

Any similar stories out there?

car120
    Firehouse.com Guest

Just got word from one of those departments that their notification was a "false alarm." FEMA/USFA was only testing their notification system. Geesh, talk about getting their hopes up! Well, maybe they were testing them for a notification sometime down the road.

Anyone out there heard of any departments being contacted, positive OR negative???

Question Response

Has anyone heard anything about their grant proposal yet?

Car 120

I had a local department tell me that they had received a letter from FEMA saying there grant had bee "accepted". They receieved this letter on May 23. I contacted FEMA that day and was told that NO notifications or awards had been made and none would be made until the first part of June. It is hard to say whether or not the departments you are talking about received anything or not. Question: Did they receive an award last year?

car120
    Firehouse.com Guest

cans501

Neither department won a grant last year. One of them I've really heard only "through the grapevine" since they are in a neighboring county. I'm still trying to confirm that one, though I may suspect that their grant funding was from a different source and confused with a successful FIRE ACT bid. They got money to refurb a tanker was what I was told, and that a local radio station news announced it.
    A closer neighbor was the department I spoke of that got the "false alarm." I don't doubt either the first information about the e-mail, nor the latter about it being told it was a "test."

I haven't contacted USFA, but I did contact our Congressman's office. One of his staff contacted USFA and was told the same as you've posted. No announcements until June. If you didn't make the cut through the first round, you'd be notified then too. Same info as the most current firehouse.com article.

From contacts I've had with some of last year's winners, they were contacted about two weeks or so before being announced to confirm thay had their 10%/30% share, and to complete additional paperwork. Maybe with the new system they're doing things differently, but that e-mail they got sure sounded like it may be some good news for our neighbor. I sure know THEY thought so!

I sure know that I'm making sure to check our department's e-mail box daily!!!!

Administrator

Here's a few points of advice and information for everyone:

- Once the first notifications are made, you should NOT call FEMA asking about yours. That will not serve any purpose other than to overwhelm FEMA officials who will be trying to complete the notification process.

- It may take a few MONTHS for all notifications to be made.

- If a neighboring department receives a notification that they will not be awarded a grant, and you don't at the same time, don't assume you will be awarded a grant. The grants will be awarded on a priority basis. If you are on the 'possible' list and not denied early on, it still may be a few months before you know whether or not you will receive a grant.

Thanks
    WebTeam

Forum Member

Unhappy No response yet

We have heard nothing yet. I thought it was going to be late May early June. June is 1/3 over. Sorry if I sound anxious, but the waiting is the hardest part. ANYONE HEARD YET?

We are all in the same boat Timm its like waiting for Christmas. I have guys pacing the floor at our station as well!!!
    Living today to Protect Tommorow!

Angry Typical Government Action

Hurry up and wait! The only grant action around here was a department about an hour from here has received a very nasty response from USFA- I guess they still haven't spent their money from last year! Use it or lose it!!!!! Capt. King
    celer et audax

Angry I say loose it!!!!!!!!!

FDirish

Some one needs to go and kick their rear ends around at that department you mentioned. A couple of years ago here in PA each Fire Department was given $9900 from the state. I know for a fact from talking to a State Senator that to this day that some of the departments still havent spent it or reported spending it. Its organizations like the ones you and i mentioned that make it difficult for the lawmakers (ok politicians) to go and push for further funding when Departments are pulling stunts like this.

There needs to be a stiff penalty in place for departments who have not spent it or have not reported spending it.
    Living today to Protect Tommorow!

Forum Member

Angry

I can tell you for sure that any money allocated to us won't sit in some slush fund, but be put to use as intended. Those departments give all of us a bad name!!

Anyway, anyone heard anything on the grants yet??

MembersZone Subscriber

Clearly they didn't need the money that bad.

We stated in our narrative that bids would be awarded within 60 days of receiving the funds.

I too thought that we would hear something before now. If not on ours at least the funds would start flowing to others. It's got to start soon.

Would be nice to hear someone has heard something though.

Smile Fire grants

According to Firehouse.com, the grant notifications will start in about 10 days. Approx. 5000 grants will be awarded out of 9200 successful applications.

My advice to everyone is to keep a close watch on firehouse.com. They seem to be posting information on the Fire Act Grants as soon as information becomes available. I understand and agree with the feeling that waiting is torture as my department is also waiting to here the results.

Now as far as departments receiving money again this year, It's hard to sit here and say that once a department has received money, that they have been taken care of. I've been in the fire service for 15 years and i've seen alot of misfortunes hit departments with no warning. Any incident may deplete a departments funding. Changes in local,state,and federal laws may require the purchasing of new equipment. Every day living takes a toll on everyone and every thing anymore. I believe that departments that received money last year should have to prove to FEMA that they have made a valid attempt at fund raising and other grant applications. I'll not down any department looking for money any place they can get it. No doubt money is tight and hard to come by. Good luck to ALL departments that applied and to those that didnt. Stay safe!!!!!!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default GRANTS

FEMA SAYS THEY WILL START ON 01 JULY 02. LOOKS LIKE WE WILL HAVE TO WAIT ONE MORE WEEK.

MembersZone Subscriber

Does anyone know if responses will be made by phone, mail, email?

Todd

Thumbs up Good Question!

I think I remembered something about e-mail notifications, but I could be wrong! They took all the information; phone, address, and e-mail for three people! I kind of figured that someone would have heard something by now though. In one of the first reports after the computer grading, they stated that everyone that didn't make the peer review would be notified by the end of June. That only leaves about 4 1/2 days. I believe it will be difficult to notify 10,000 department in that time. Well I will go back to waiting with everyone else! Best of luck to everyone!!!!
    SERVING FOR PRIDE
    PROUD TO SERVE!

According to the information that i've read. Departments that have been approved for grant funding will be notified 1-2 days in advance of publis announcment. Now being that this process is going to take several months to complete, there will be several departments that will not here anything for quite some time. Remember the grant applications were rated from top priority to lowest priority and they will be issued as so. The departments that were not approved should be notified in the near future. GOOD LUCK to all departments and if awarded funding please use it wisely.

Forum Member

In response to notifications, I checked my confirmation page I received when I submitted our application. It says if you submitted an e-mail address you will be notified that way. If you get an e-mail address later you are to call their help desk at 1-886-274-0960 to have your contact info updated. If you have no e-mail address at the time of award, they will contact you by regular mail. I went back to the application site to look at our app again--- Found out our password was terminated, so I had to call in to get it reset. The password is good till July 10. They told me i'd have to change the password to continue to log in. Not that we need to but it helps with the nervous anticipation!!! Patiently waiting and checking the e-mail often, Good luck all!! Stay Safe!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

It looks like FEMA is starting to email preliminary questions out. Yesterday we (Saint Stephen Fire & Rescue) got an email stating our application was reviewed and the asked several question like if we were still planning to make our purchase. Would we be making the purchase in the 1-year period? Did we have the funds available to pay the 10/30%? Do we know we need to fill out NFIRS reports (we do)? I cannot remember the other questions.

This does not mean we will get a grant, but at least we are still in the running. In case anyone is interested, we requested around $20,000 to replace our bunker gear.
    Jeff Drais
    Saint Stephen Fire & Rescue
    Saint Stephen MN

Forum Member

Thumbs up Sounds encouraging

That sounds like a pretty good sign. At least we know that they've finally started. I've been keeping an eye on our e-mail for anything from FEMA, but nothing yet. This is just like last year. Hurry up and wait! Hope you recieve your grant and good luck to everyone!

"Just remember. No matter where you go. There you are!"

Thread Information