Default Improvised Dust Caps Anyone??

Necessity being the mother of invention that it is, do any of you have any tips or innovative creations for protective caps for hydraulic hoses??
    Most of the dust caps(the rubber Amkus style ones) we have in service tend to come off while the unit is on the apparatus. The metal Holmatro ones are nice but obviously won't fit on non-orange tools/hoses.

FIGJAM

Thumbs down Holmatro Caps

We've been running Holmatro for around 20 years now and have nothing but grief with the caps! The caps themselves work fine, it's just trying to keep them.

We've lost so many, it's not funny anymore!

Around about a year ago, we went across to mounted hose reels so the tools are permanently conected which has saved us a lot of grief, though.

We have a very strict maintenance routine on the Holmatro tools which includes a full clean of all components with particular attention to the connections to ensure they are free from dirt. This is done immediately after EVERY job and also once a week before training regardless of use....

Also, when the staging area is set up at every incident, we are now in the habit of putting out a small maintenance box which contains a few rags and a can of WD40. This pretty much ensures if we ever change over a tool or a have a tool blow off the hose, we can clean it immediately before reconnection.
    Luke

IT OCCURS TO ME THAT IF YOU COUPLE THE HOSES TOGETHER, THAT YOU WOULDN'T NEED DUST CAPS. JUST A THOUGHT.

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree with Yoda, we hook the ends of the hoses togeather and don't have a problem with loosing the caps and dirt getting into the hoses.

Forum Member

Coupling the hose ends together has been our solution so far. The caps on the power units do not get the abuse of those on the hose, so they seem to survive much better. When we get our new rescue we will have rheels so I am not sure if we will be able to couple ends together or not. Of course, if we do get the coupling into the dirt, all that is needs is a splash of water on the fittings and we are good to go.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Lightbulb

I know hose connectors come in all sizes, why not use condoms?

Forum Member

Have to agree with some of the others...

For us if it's not a preconnected tool, then the connectors are coupled together. We used the rubber covers from the manufacturer for as long as they would last, but have since resorted to the coupling together theory. If nothing else, it's practice on making the connection.....

Stay Safe!

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

Kbud,
    We have been coupling our AMKUS lines together for a while. Although the idea of the "condoms" is not a bad one. If we cut latex fingers off of the gloves we have so many of, then roll the open end up enough to easily slide it over the coupling we may then have a good protective covering. Of course road friction may tear a few. But it may be worth a peak at. I'm gonna try it for a few shifts and snoop around the station for some other ideas. I'm with Lutan on the reels and lines preconnected. Our department has a ways to go before they will bite that one off though. $$$
    "Making Sense with Common Sense"
    Motor Vehicle Rescue Consultants
    ( MVRC@comcast.net) Jordan Sr.

Thread Information