Teetering precariously close to the edge of the earth.

Question Recommended reading....

Can anyone recommend any good books for a FF recently promoted to LT.
    I have Dunn's "Safety and Survival on the Fireground" and "Command and Control of Fires and Emergencies" which are both great resources,and I have the IFSTA stuff.....I was wondering what else would be worthy of picking up.

Forum Member

Congratulations on the promotion!

Here are a few more "resources" for you...

The Fire Officers Handbook of Tactics by John Norman
    Collapse of Burning Buildings by Vincent Dunn
    Building Construction for the Fire Service by Frank Brannigan
    Fire Command by Alan Brunacini.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

District Chief

I understand that Chief Brunacini is or has come out with an updated version of his Fireground Command...

Also the book used by City Governments (I think it is ICMA) called Managing Fire Services (Big Green one) is good. VERY VERY DRY and boring...but lots of information.

Even the IFSTA Company Officer Book is good.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Great books so far, here's my two favorites in order:

1. Corps Business: The 30 Management Principles of the U.S. Marines

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...531520-5976745

2. Incident Management for the Street Smart Officer

http://www.firehouse.com/forums2/new...threadid=38638

3. Building Construction by Brannigan.

Now...

Back to the fishing...
    It's only my opinion. I do not speak for any group or organization I belong to or associate with or people I know - especially my employer. If you like it, we can share it, you don't have to give me credit. If you don't, we are allowed to disagree too (but be ready to be challenged, you may be on to something I'm not). That's what makes America great!

Brannigan also has a video, with a booklet out on building construction, based on the actual book. I can't remember the name of it just now, I'll call on Monday and check on it.

In addition to what everyone else said, pick up a copy of Chief Brunacini's "Essentials of Fire Department Customer Service" - IMO, a "must memorize" for all line personnel.

Teetering precariously close to the edge of the earth.

Thanks alot guys....I'll check them out...sounds like Brunacini is the man.

Some people don't really agree with Bruno's tactics and style, but he knows this business inside and out - he was at the forefront of integrating ICS into the fire service, and wrote the book on keeping our customers happy (literally). If you have never done so, check out his little slice of the web at www.firetimes.com He keeps a handful of his stuff on there for quick reference. I'm not trying to shamelessly plug for the man here, but I will say that over the years his teachings/writings have been responsible for radical improvement across the sate of Arizona, and much of the southwest.

I would recommend "Responding to routine emergenicies" by Frank Montagna.

This is the book I give the most credit for making me a better more well rounded firefighter. It discusses all the things you encounter on a daily basis but no one really teaches. It is also the best reads on Carbon Monoxide reponses I have ever read!!!!

Buy anthing with Vincent Dunn's name on it and The officer's Handbook of tactics by John Norman is an excellent read.

Check out www.firebooks.com lots to look at their.!!!!

Good luck and keep reading and training!!!!

God bless our brother firefighters and their families in Mt. Ephraim New Jersey in dealing with their tragic loss We love you guys!!!!!!!!!
    "Firefighting is a team Sport, so know your place and do your job"

MembersZone Subscriber

Congratulations to the new L T. I can't remember the author, but the title is "Winning the Fire Service Leadership Game." A good short read that will give down and dirty examples of how to be a good or bad fire officer. It is based on firehouse life, not the fireground. If you can't make it in the big house, you will not survive as a company officer. Best of Luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

Congrats Lieu!!

It amazes me how many of us all basically recommend the same books.
    I also was gonna add the Corps Business. I'll also throw in a book that the title is Love Em' and Lead Em', which was also required reading for NCO's in my Marine Corp Unit. I'm sorry that I cannot recall the author(s). Also believe it or not, I found Joe Torre's book: How To Deal With A Difficult Boss very inspiring. Responding to Routine Emergencies, Collapse of Burning Buildings, and Fire Officers Handbook are automatic musts. I also am not a big fiction reader, so any other types of books I find at Barnes & Nobles pertaining to anything to our job, military, EMS I read and usually pick up some idea or something from it. Good luck in the seat!!

Thread Information