Forum Member

Default Question about membership waiting lists

As many of you know from a previous post, I am on a waiting list for a vollie dept. nearby. I'm already working for the ambulance service that has a "working" relationship with the FD. I was informed yesterday by one of the Capts. that my application will be moved ahead of the others due to the fact that I am an active EMT and different other factors. What I am asking is if any of your depts let applicants move ahead of others due to training and experience that they already have?

code_blue81
    Jeremy Culver
    IACOJ Bureau of EMS

These views are my own and do not represent the views or opinions of anyambulance service that I am affiliated with.

Help our fellow firefighters.
    www.helpingourown.com
    "Firefighters Helping Firefighters"

MembersZone Subscriber

After jumping through the necessary hoops, a prospective firefighter for Silver City is recommended to the Board of Directors by the Fire Chief.

According to our Bylaws, "If a vacancy does not exist, the prospective firefighter's name will be placed on a list maintained by the Chief and he will be notified when an opening is available. The Board shall be empowered to skip names on the list for the good of the department."

I don't like those "for the good of" statements much. There's the potential for Good Ol' Boy Syndrome, but with good people in leadership positions, it isn't a problem.

To answer your question--yes, we could move people up the list depending on training and experience over other applicants.
    Bryan Beall
    Silver City, Oklahoma USA

MembersZone Subscriber

We do not have a waiting list for the department. You can join but may not be issued gear until you finish required training. If several people join at the same time, the person with the most training gets priority. When I first started it was 6 months until I got any gear. A lot of that has to do with the lack of money the department has. They want to make sure that people are really commited to the department before they issue gear.

We currently have potential personnel
    on a waiting list.

1) because we have had 6 new members in the last year
    and need to get them trained

2) how many personnel we can manage and outfit at a time.

If a person has more training & experience they
    can and will be jumped up the list.
    Remember,

If you don't respond.....who will

IACOJ EMS Bureau Member
    IACOJ Member

I would be interested to see whether or not it is 'legal' to prioritize a waiting list. Paid companies can do it as it is part of thier JPRs, but I think volunteer departments may have to go on a 'first come, first serve' basis.

I think any type of prioritizing could be seen as favoritism and may cause legal problems for the department.

Just my .02

Yours in Service,

Jason
    Jason Zigmont

IACOJ Agitator

Just out of curiousity:

1) How big are these departments that have waiting lists?

2) Any clue how you get enough people interested in joining so a waiting list isn't something of a distant dream? Not to say we want a waiting list, but more to say that we want to get more members.
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Forum Member

The dept. that I'm talking about has a roster of 35 members. I have a feeling it's about like Silver City's FD.....there's something in the water. There are 4 people on the waiting list including myself.

The members are pretty dependable for a small town of about 800. Average time from tone-out to trucks on the road is 3 min. Current ISO class is 7 but with the next truck coming and another tanker it should lower to 6 (after all the hydrants are checked and pressure tested).

All in all it's a fairly well equipped and staffed vollie service. I guess that's one of the reasons I'm trying to join.

code_blue81
    Jeremy Culver
    IACOJ Bureau of EMS

These views are my own and do not represent the views or opinions of anyambulance service that I am affiliated with.

Help our fellow firefighters.
    www.helpingourown.com
    "Firefighters Helping Firefighters"

Forum Member

Exclamation First come, First Serve?

"I would be interested to see whether or not it is 'legal' to prioritize a waiting list. Paid companies can do it as it is part of thier JPRs, but I think volunteer departments may have to go on a 'first come, first serve' basis.

How would this be an issue. Rostered Depts have always selected members via an application and interview process (Or any dept for that matter). We do this all the time. Members are interviewed and rated (1 to 10) and prioritized for call backs. As openings become avalible you review the best ranking and re-interview to refresh memories and reverify information on the applications. And select the best people for the job. And yes Skills and Certs play a major roll as does aptitude, attitude and reputation. No one can make me place the town drunk on the dept just because he applied first.

I would rather face a judge and explain why I won't hire someone, rather than face a judge and family as to why I had to hire the village idiot and that's why Daddy's not comming home.

The days of just showing up at the door and someone handing you gear and the keys to the truck are long gone.

Respectfully

Andy
    Captain BFRD

"I would rather face a judge and explain why I won't hire someone, rather than face a judge and family as to why I had to hire the village idiot and that's why Daddy's not comming home. "

First of all, I am not a lawyer, and most of this comes from my experience and from discussions with lawyers.

The problem comes in that you are not actually 'hiring' volunteers. I would be very interested to see if there is any case law on allowing/prioritizing membership to a volunteer organization.

In my discussions with a local lawyer, he said the only way to keep a member out would be by putting a cap to membership. What the lawyer implied was that if we stated any other reason for not taking the member in, we could be sued.

My personal interpretation was that you had to have a criminal reason not to let the member in. Then again we're in a law suit happy world and even as fire departments we need to 'CYA'.

Yours in Service,

Jason
    Jason Zigmont

We set optimum staffing levels for the department as a whole plus the individual stations. Using this we determine which applicants to take for next academy class which currently has a class limitation of 20. We hold 2 academies each year typically in the spring and fall. This program hasn't been in place long as we've really only just started having the problem of too many applicants for the class. ( which is a good problem. )

We currently have 4 stations with a 5th scheduled to start construction in the next few months so we've had a real push to staff this station especailly since few to no current members will be running from this area. (Experinced FF's for this station is seperate issue we are currently working on) So targeting those applicants that live in the area plus any applicants with prior FF experince are a priority.

We let the academy class tell us whether they are going to make it in the department as there are minmum attendence requirments. mandatory classes plus both a written test and live fire training they must pass. Then they must be voted on by the membership with only 20% voting no enough to keep them out. This as been reviewed by our City Attorney and he see's no problem. Plus the key is that if they pass the class they typically get in as the deparment officers and leaders are the instructors so we get a good idea on thier capabilites.

Just for background, with the 5th station that puts us with an optimum staffing of 150-185 volunteers with 25-30 per station being the goal. We currently have 114 members so we have plenty of room to grow. I really look forward to the day we have to many but I believe that's still some time away.

Stevejd
    www.lcvfd.com
    Last edited by stevejd; 07-18-2002 at 01:04 AM.

We have minimum requirements and anyone who has them will be interviewed by the selection comitte. Each person is asked the same questions and after all are done each person is rated. the one with the best score gets in.
    Not always the best qualified gets it. On the last one we had an Paramedic and level 1 FF, Kid just out of school. who is in town working with the ambulance and has a goal of being a FF in the city. He did not get in.
    A Guy with a Family and a perminent job who plans on staying here did.
    ( he had no training)
    We have learned from experience that planing for long term works best for us.

Thread Information