JeepFireNY
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Tips for Strength Training

Just got a weight bench and I'm looking for some tips/programs of strength training. I consider myself in good physical condition, I just need more strength. If anybody has some good exercises that would be beneficial to my fire fighting duties, I would appreciate it if you would share them with me.

Thank in advance.

Default tips for successfull strength training

All you have to do to be successfull is tense your muscles when you work it out.This rips the muscles therefore giving them a chance to rebuild. Tensing or tightening the muscles will further tear them.
    Saftey is number 1

under the covers...ignoring the alarm clock!

Are you serious?? I never once heard that actually tearing your muscles is a good idea. Doing that can cause long-lasting injury. I believe the key to strength training is to gradually work your way up; each week lift something a little heavier. I don't claim to be an expert, but this is what I have found to work best for me. No sense in putting yourself through unecessary pain and injury; it might come back to haunt you in the long run.
    Jen, EMT-B
    "I got lost in thought...it was unfamiliar territory."
    "I love mankind--it's people I can't stand" --Linus

As a power lifter i know what im talking about but your taking it out of proportion. Everytime you work out you tear your muscles. That is how your muscles enlarge. This is by tearing them then eating protein and getting sleep to rebuild them.
    Saftey is number 1

Wow! That is one theory I have never heard before. But then, I don't know any powerlifters.
    Jen, EMT-B

you should try it . you will be suprised with the results
    Saftey is number 1

iceman4442
    Firehouse.com Guest

Yep, Firresq is correct, although the "tears" are actually "micor-tears" that cause the muscle to grow & strengthen as they heal. What is commonly referred to as a tear is a catastophic tear that actually separates muscle and tendon - that's bad!

iceman4442
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Also, JeepFireNY, I will send you the stuff I e-mailed you about; just haven't had time to get it scanned yet!

Teetering precariously close to the edge of the earth.

If you're talking about strength in general.....then I could go on for ever.....If you're talking about the Bench Press (and serious about it) then I offer the following advice...
    - First off, the the BP is inherently dangerous so always have a spotter and never train alone...

- Research the lifting technique, and possibly enlist the assistance of someone who knows what they're talking about...IE: spend the 5 bucks for a day pass at your local gym and have someone show you...

- Strength training means taxing the muscles and pushing them to a point further than they have been...thus all of your support muscles are going to get maxed out and possibly tear if you don't train them..The following are a list of muscles to consider training:

> Triceps - do tricep extensions/pushdowns, French Presses, Kickbacks, close grip bench press (to name a few)

>Biceps- Standing/seated barbell/dumbbell curls, preacher curls, concentration curls....

> Deltoids (shoulders) - Military press, Dumbbell press, lateral/front raises, upright rows

> Lats ..(yes the lats play an important part in supporting the bench) Do Lat pulldowns (reverse as well as wide grip), bent over rows, low pulley rows

For major muscle groups stay away from the machines and stick to barbells and dumbbells, they require you to use the other muscles to balance the movement , machines hold you in a fixed "groove" and isolate certain areas which is fine for an experienced lifter who is targeting a certain area but not for a beginner.

I could go on forever, feel free to e-mail me if you wish and I can get a little more in depth if you wish.

bigbruu@yahoo.com
    Last edited by BIGBRUU; 07-08-2002 at 04:49 AM.

Good advice so far. I have another good exercise for you. This one does not requre any machine, the pushup! Also, do not forget to strech before you start your workout. Another thing I do is I strech the muslce I just worked after every set. It works for me.
    ** The opionions are mine and mine alone, they are not that of my dept or the local**

bfd is right...I know from experience, that the push-up is a good way to help develop the muscle tone and strength in your arms.
    Good luck in your strength training.
    Jen, EMT-B

Forum Member

Drifting on a raft in the Carribean Ocean listening to Buffet.

Hydration is also a big key factor. Drink a lot of water prior to working out then while you work out as well. I know that while I am working out I usually drink about 1 gallon of H2O. After you work out you need to repalce the lost proteins and carbos also.

Matt

JeepFireNY
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thanks for all the advice guys... after reading some reviews and receiving some recommendations, I have ordered The Firefighter's Workout Book. I'm interested to see some of the exercises and look forward to letting you guys know how it worked out.

Thanks again

Thread Information