Thread: Bairds sentence

Default WEB TEAM IS CORRECT

Every one can relax. As of 4:30 this afternoon the NY Appellate Court who would decide this matter hasn't even been notified by the Trial Court clerk of a Notice of Appeal. Moreover, the NY Appeals Court has not received a Defendant's Petition for Appointment of an Attorney to prosecute his appeal if Baird lacks money (lots of it) to retain his own Attorney. If Baird is indigent, the appeal process doesn't even commence until his Petition for an Attorney is heard by the Appellate Court and decided.
    Bob Compton
    IACOJ-Proud
    IACOJ-HALL OF FAME-2003

MembersZone Subscriber

>>Baird is allowed to run with lairdsville to calls, althoug the county is not even dispatching them as westmoreland station 2 as they were, it is like they dont exist anymore,<<

This is very interesting. What do you mean theystopped dispatching them? Do they jump calls? Are they dispatched by someone else? Please fill us in.

George, basically the county is just dispatching westmoreland to all calls, and not Westmoreland 2(formally lairdsville). Not really sure how it all came down to this, but i have heard that they only have at most 5people left in lairdsville that are even members.

MembersZone Subscriber

Did anyone else happen to notice that in 2001, the only training death caused by smoke inhalation was from none other than Lairdsville? How would you like to have that distinction? Twelve training deaths in 2001; nine from heart attacks while or after training, one death due to smoke inhalation(we know who that was), one died from a ladder exercise and one died from drowning while diving. This is a sad commentary. Thoughts?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default This is not a test; it is an actual post!

Thank you, Firehouse.com for reminding us that it was one year ago (9/25/01) that Bradley Golden lost his life while training under the direction of Alan Baird III, who was convicted of criminal negligent homicide and is currently under appeal. Your cover story brought back far too many memories of the many discussions that took place for many months after the incident. With each new story brought another round of discusssions. Alan Baird III still maintains that he wasn't the only one responsible. He still doesn't understand that he lit the couch; that he didn't provide a second means of egress; that he didn't verify through an accountibility system who was in at the time the fire was set; that he allowed for the use of live victims for a training exercise that he was in charge of; that he cut off the only means of escape for the three firefighters upstairs; that he didn't make sure that a RIT was ready and that a water supply had been prepared. HE didn't assure the safety of his men. Period. End of story. Testimony, much of it his own, bore out these facts.
    I just about hurled when I saw THAT PICTURE of him standing in full gear next to the rig. I really could have done without that.
    According to the article, some good has come about as a result of "Lairdsville". Legislation has been introduced to make it illegal to use live victims and a plan for a burn must be submitted to the county prior to the burn. Really? Earth shaking, isn't it? There should have been volumes introduced after every regulation, every shred of common sense and common decency was violated.
    Alan lost his paramedic's certification and of course, I am choked up about that.
    Christine, if you are watching; none of this will ever change the fact that Bradley died, but this tragic incident has been the catalyst for change throughout the United States. There are still training deaths occurring, but they are being much more closely scrutinized and charges are being brought when appropriate. Bradley should not have died for these "changes", but we have to take this, since we cannot have Brad. Please know that when the appeal is finally over and the judge upholds the conviction, the little man known as Alan Baird III will go away, never to be heard from again. Bradley, on the other hand, will never be forgotten. In his short life, he did far more good than (10) Alan Bairds could ever do. Bradley was a young man who embodied the spirit of a firefighter. I know that you are very proud of him. I never met him, but I can imagine how excited, enthusiastic and dedicated he was to join the greatest brotherhood on Earth. I would have seen him at a trade show; probably FDIC at Indy, taking pictures of the rigs, climbing up on a ladder truck with eyes wide with amazement. We would have listened as the other would ask a vendor a question. I would have enjoyed getting one up on the kid. We would have become friends. You are in my thoughts as you struggle with this final phase and hopefully, the final chapter of this tragic incident. God be with you and your family at this time and God bless Bradley.
    With best regards,
    Chief Reason, Chief Ret.

Sr. Information Officer

Unhappy Lairdsville

Since Sept. 25, 2001, there have been improvements in the way many volunteer fire departments train and earnest talk of statewide mandates governing live fire training drills. The Lairdsville incident, however, has not spurred any legislation.

"I think we will have something put together and introduced in January," state Sen. Raymond Meier, R-Western, said. "If we have something that meets with the approval of firefighters, I'm pretty confident we at least can secure passage."
    I can only hope and pray that something positive comes...as a result of this senseless, preventable tragedy. This was not an accident, but a series of terrible decisions made by a few individuals, in which Brad Golden had put his trust. They not only let Brad Golden down...but they let down the entire firefighting community. Their ploy of "ignorance" and "just a volunteer" as a defense for their actions is just unacceptable.

Legislation won't eradicate all the dangers encountered at live burns...although it will go a long way to ensure it.

Some common sense...exhibited by those elected to serve as leaders and officers...would go much, much further.
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Forum Member

"I think we will have something put together and introduced in January," state Sen. Raymond Meier, R-Western, said. "If we have something that meets with the approval of firefighters, I'm pretty confident we at least can secure passage."

Funkyfire, sfd, and all the rest of the firefighters in NY state who believe in safe training. This is where you come in.

"If we have something that meets with the approval of firefighters" is a scary statement. Let's hope that the majority of firefighters don't think like the Alan Bairds of the world, and meaningful legislation can be passed to protect all firefighters in the state.

Make your voice heard guys, now is your chance to make sure Bradley Golden didn't die in vain.

Default A place for your voice to be heard

Sen. Ray Meier email info

http://www.raymeier.com/send_email.asp

Greg Golden

MembersZone Subscriber

Just legislation on one aspect of firefighting is not enough. I wish we could mandate all NFPA regs in NY. Not only for safety but to protect us in other ways too. Like liability in accidents. Maybe someday.
    "What makes a person run into a building others are running out of?...Character."- Dennis Smith

www.elmirafire.org

Forum Member

Engine5, Greg Golden has supplied the means to contact your state senator. Use it. Use your right as an American to speak your mind and impart your opinion. WRITE TO HIM!!!

Face it, the squeaky wheel gets the oil.........don't let the only firefighter representatives that he hears from be the dinosaurs who want no change, resent the implication that change needs to be legislated to them and will probably be the most vocal about any changes that may come about.

Tell Senator Meier you want change and why. Encourage everyone you know who feels the same as you to do the same. Let him know that NY State firefighters want to be viewed as "professionals" around the world. If it takes legislation to force it, then so be it.
    Last edited by LadyCapn; 09-26-2002 at 09:24 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thank you for the advice, I've seen your posts here and find you to be very knowledgeable and experienced. I have talked to my State reps face to face on this subject (Randy Khul and George Winner are very accessible to their districts) and they never really have much to say on the subject. Mr. Kuhl is having another Town meeting this month and maybe I'll bring it up again. What I need to do is find a state rep who is for this kind of action and see what he/she is doing to move it forward.
    "What makes a person run into a building others are running out of?...Character."- Dennis Smith

www.elmirafire.org

Forum Member

Under his sentencing terms, the veteran volunteer firefighter was directed not to associate with any fire companies and lost his paramedic certification
    Some good news from the article.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Default May Brad Rest In Peace

Christine & Greg my thoughts are with you and your family. I can't imagine how hard it must have been for you dealing with the loss of Brad at the same time that the world was still reeling in shock from the horrific events of September 11th.

I hope firefighters in NY, and everywhere else for that matter, take the recommendations expressed by Engine5, LadyCapn and others whom you all know on these forums - make your voices heard where it counts. For Brad. Greg posted the means for you to do so. Make a difference. Please. For Brad.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Time to pay!

The sentence was invoked some time ago. Alan; time to pay.

Sr. Information Officer

^Bump
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default NIOSH B' GOSH!

The NIOSH report was short but sweet. It confirms the many bad decisions that were discussed at trial. Recommendations are solid.
    The only thing left to do here is to get Alan Baird III to serve his sentence.
    I guess he wants to spend the holidays in jail instead of with his family.

Thread Information