Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

We have a burn tower where we set a fire and go inside and put it out. I must say that our explorer post breaks alot of rules. Last time I checked a explorer cant climb a ladder 30ft + over. Alot of the explorers climb the aerial. Even though slipping though the rules a bit also helps us to have more fun.

Default I don't think so

NFPA 1403 says student shall have received training to meet
    the performance objectives for Firefighter I. Do you not have
    to meet the 18yrs old mark to receive these Firefighter I
    certs?And if I am not mistaken, The NC State Fire Marshall's
    Office sets the minimun age of 18yrs old to participate in
    live fire training in NC.

In my area JR firefighters are not allowed to enter ANY live fire
    training burns until the minimun NFPA classes are obtained and
    the firefighter is at least 18yrs of age. Yes, hands on training
    is one of the best ways to learn. But live fire put everyone's
    life in danger, from the youngest trainee to the
    most exp. officer.

Remember, saftey is No. 1
    Last edited by Firefighter45; 07-31-2002 at 10:28 PM.
    EGH-RFB

Default The way it is.

(Sorry if somebody already said this but I don't have time to read all of the postings.)

I must point out the number of "live burn" injuries and specifically fatalities that have received the presses attention recently. You don't believe me? Just look at Firehouse Online's archives. There are probably two or three articles a month about live burn tragedies. AT this very moment there is a story about two deaths in a live burn exercise in Florida on the front page. Key thing to remember here: nearly every one of these injured has been a trained, experienced fire fighter. AND THEY STILL GOT TRAPPED IN A FLASHOVER, UNDER A ROOF, AND/OR IN A SWELTERING INFERNO FROM WHICH THEY WOULD NEVER WALK AWAY. Explorers need to stay away from live burn exercises. Set up rehab and change air bottles or something. If anything should happen to you, not only would it be a tragedy for your family and your department, but it would be a tragedy for the nation as it would lose an important crop of eager, well-intentioned young people. This kind of tragedy would undoubtedly be the end to all explorer, junior, and cadet programs. So don't put yourself, your post, and every one else's posts at risk. Stay out of live burn exercises. An explorer must be mature enough to recognize that he/she is in no way prepared for that kind of training. With all the injures, I'm beginning to think, as much as every one hates to hear this, that live burn drills may be nearing extinction.

Just so everybody knows, when my town had a bunch of vacant houses that were about to get knocked down and went to apply for a "live burn" permit from the state, we were told by the southern office that our state hadn't issued permits for several years, and conveniently the northern office hadn't realized that and had been freely giving people the go-ahead to burn. So now, this has been rectified and the whole state knows us as the ones who ruined it for everybody. So the closest we can get now is burning hay in a trash can (to create a smoke condition). All our gear smelled like a barn fire for weeks and we don't have a single barn in town! We also can schedule some time in the county fire academy "burn building," which is a completely gas controlled concrete building with emergency shutoffs and instructors with infrared cameras everywhere. We have to have qualified instructors everywhere for the hay burn too. You have to have FFI to participate in any of this and you have to be 18 to get that here. Explorers are not permitted into any hazardous situation and usually just change bottles and fetch gatorade; the closest we can get is a once-a-year shot at the smoke tower (a similar concrete building with built-in smoke machines). That right there is the only time we are ever permitted to where SCBA, because you could take it off and nothing would happen. Plus they watch us real close and keep the smoke pretty thin.

Thread Information