Thread: They glow??

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

Default They glow??

Just saw an ad for some Bosch Recip blades that glow in the dark. they are the bi-metal blades and are supposed to work well in low light areas. While i can see (no pun intended) where this would work well, just wondering if anyone has tried them before. Does the paint chip away very fast and the blade is no longer glowing or what?
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Forum Member

First of all I will admit, that being a sucker for new toys, I will be venturing out to purchase one - you know for 'evaluation'

Here's the link to Bosch's site
    http://www.boschtools.com/Tools+and+...m?item_no=SRD9

As with all painted blades, I can't imagine this coating lasting long, but I could be wrong. If anyone has used one let us know the lifespan of the 'glow'

Stay Safe!

Forum Member

What is the advantage of these? Doesn't the Bosch people realize that fire/rescue has flashlights and scene lighting? For me, I don't want to make any cuts without first lighting where I am cutting to see where the blade is going and what potential hazards await it. I think this is a gimmic that will sell a lot of blades to the "Inspector Gadget" who buy every new thing they can get their hands on.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Forum Member

Metal -

The counseling has been working and I can admit in public that I am a borderline "Inspector Gadget" and that while these glowing blades in no way provide working light it would be nice in certain circumstances to be able to clearly distinguish your blade from the tangled mess of metal a vehicle becomes after impact. For example I have been in the situation where you are trying to cut away the under components of a seat where you know darn well you can't get a 100% clear view of what is going on and the glow of a blade could potentially help in identifying the path you blade is following to better ensure safety of all parties.

Just a thought and by no means am I all for these gadgets (whew, I said it again ) but I would like to see one and see if its all it's cracked up to be.

Stay Safe!

Forum Member

I tend to like gadgets also, so I guess I can see having a couple of these in your arsenal for those "what if" deals where it might be just the ticket. How many I had would depend on how much more we have to pay for them. Are they luminous like the hands on a watch, where you need to expose them to light to start glowing? I believe this required some radioactive material to accomplish... so does this introduce a new problem to your seen? Even if it is a small amount, do we really want to expose our patients and ourselves to breathing the dust created as it wears off?
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Ya'll remember the movie about ten years back with John Ridder and the glowing condoms? Now when you go play with your recip saw i want you to think of that scene....

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

gee thanks apatrol. talk about getting in a ackward position
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

FIGJAM

Sounds like just another marketing gimmick to me and we've walked right into it!

How many recip blades keep the supplied paintwork on them after 2 minutes of use? None that I've seen!

On the other hand, if anyone tries them- let us know once and for all!
    Luke

Thread Information