Default oral board TODAY! can you pass out from puking too much?

I'm pretty nervous...I know I shouldn't be, but this is my very first oral board and I guess it's the not knowing that is the most disconcerting...any tips or techniques for keeping cool are much appreciated.

Oops...gotta go hurl some more.
    EMT
    ...testing for FF

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Smile Youre lucky day....

You will find all the infomation and more from
    Fire Captain Bob at-

www.eatstress.com

Go to the "101 secrets on getting a badge" section.

I would suggest getting your paramedic cert, giving yourself an IV, and then puking that way you can stay hydrated and enjoy the time spent with "The Throne" ..... best of luck on the review boards!

hi boucka,

Thanks for the link. I have been there before. I think Capt Bob has a decent site there...but I also think his site inspires more fear than it remedies. True, there are some great tips...but I can't help but feel he really plays upon peoples concerns and exaggerates the experience.

And then the tag line on every page: "Absolutely nothing counts 'til you have the badge. Nothing!"

Maybe it's just me but that seems over the top.
    Last edited by exsilio; 07-10-2002 at 07:47 PM.
    EMT
    ...testing for FF

Wink Glad you looked...

..into his site. I dont work for Capt. Bob, but I
    must insist pretty much everything he says is on the
    money. Plus, he will talk to you and call you back
    on his dime.

He has helpped me out a lot. He is very right..
    "Nothing counts until you have the badge, nothing."

MembersZone Subscriber

I can tell you from my Marine Corps experience with oral boards is...just like the commercial don't let them see you sweat. Answer confidently, even if your not sure, and unless they lead you into it don't change your answer. If they ask you "are you sure" be confident, don't automatically assume your wrong. Stand tall, and talk in a firm voice that reeks of knowledge, respect, and confidence, maintain your bearing, use proper english and don't be afraid to smile.

On a more serious note, and only because I can't resist....
    Yes, you can pass out from puking to much, when puking the strain puts pressure on the vagus nerve which is part of the parasympathetic nervous system. The parasympathetic nervous system is part of the nervous system that regulates heart rate, and in this case decreases it. If you puke long enough you can drop your heart rate, reduce cardiac output, which will reduce oxygen to your brain and systemic vascular system and plop. This is the same thing that causes people to pass out when lifting weights, or on the toilet with a hard one, and pregnant women when pushing during labor.
    Thanks for letting me use a little of my college courses for Paramedic be put to use.

Oh yeah....GOOD LUCK!!!!

Captain Bob Smith
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default All the Way to the Top

After the Contra Costa County written in San Ramon, several candidates were hanging around in groups. One of the candidates asked me a question about oral boards. It started a discussion. I asked the six candidates to answer a simple question, “Why do you want to be a firefighter?” What they thought were unique answers that would get them a shot at a badge, sadly weren’t. They were surprised all their answers would only place them in the clone pack, never getting a shot at a badge. They have been somehow convinced by the four inches between their ears that they have it dialed in (you’re mind can sometimes be like a dangerous neighborhood. You shouldn’t go in their alone). This was sad because most have been in pursuit of the elusive badge for a long time.

They had education, certificates, volunteer time, and experience. Yet they would not be able to score high enough in an oral (which is 100% of the score) to go further in the hiring process. I could have taken any of the groups standing around and achieved similar results. The problem is most candidates aren’t aware of how ill prepared they are for the oral board in their future.

What is important to understand is it doesn’t take much to improve your position. To prove the point, I asked one of the candidates in that group to answer another question, “What have you done to prepare for the position of a firefighter?” He answered with another garbage answer. Then, I walked him through a simple process that produced a killer personalized “Nugget”answer that demonstrated his understanding of his true strengths, skills, and ability to be a qualified candidate to be a firefighter. His buddies stood in disbelief as this transformation evolved. The same transformation could have taken place with any of the candidates in the group. This is all it took to convince those in this group to attend our next seminar on July 27, in Concord.

This is how “Nugget” answers work. What's a "Nugget?" A "Nugget" is an answer to an oral board question that will get you your best score (highest possible) on that question, satisfy the board, and cause them to go onto the next question. You will get bonus points by personalizing your answer.

You see, after a written test, the top 50-100 candidates are separated only by 3-5 points. Often by just hundreds of points. You have seen it 79.22, 82.63, etc. Candidates who are armed with their personalized “Nugget” answers, start building on these 100’s of points. A few hundred points here, a few hundred points there, a personalized story dropped in here and you have improved your score to pass the competition and produces the call inviting you to the chiefs oral.

This is exactly what happened recently for two of our candidates. One was from the Northwest. Jeff saw the ad in the paper for a firefighter test. With no formal education, fire classes or related experiences he turned in an application. He did a search on Internet with Goggle and found our web site. After he was encouraged by using the FREE “101 Inside Secrets How to Get a Badge” and passing the written, he was invited to the oral. Jeff ordered our entry-level audio/video program to prepare for his first oral. Scene two, he gets a call for the chiefs oral in a week. He faxes in his resume for review.

While visiting a couple of stations in preparation for his chiefs interview, one the firefighters asked him how many test he had taken? When Jeff told them this was his first test, they moaned it had taken them 3-5-and 7 years. This city was hiring two. After the chiefs interview Jeff was offered a job. He was number one! The other job went to a firefighter from Utah.

How did Jeff do that? He walked right in off the street and took your badge. Well, he knew he couldn’t compete with those of you with all the education, experience, certificates and every merit badge you have acquired. So, Jeff concentrated on where 100% of the score of getting the job was. The oral board.

Another candidate Scott, who I have seen at other tests, got me aside at the CoCo County written and asked me how I can help so many candidates with out making them into clones? Good question. Our "Nugget Principle" enables candidates to personalize their presentations to separate them from the "clone" candidates. No one else can tell your story. Once you start lacing answers, like the above candidate in the group, with your personal life experiences, no matter if they aren't fire department related, is where you start creating the magic. This was enough for Scott to attend our upcoming seminar.

An example of this individuality is half the candidates in a recent fire department academy were our candidates. You couldn’t tell one candidate from another. How did they do that? No one could tell their story. No one. These are fresh new answers that the raters have never heard. Does this make a difference? You know it does.
    Yea, with all this said, they are going to hire candidates. If no one stands out it will be the upper layer of the clones. With a few minor changes, you could stand out and be the next new recruit gaining a badge!

Ask yourself this question: If you could gain just one "Nugget" idea that can make a difference between where you're at now and a real shot at a badge, would you go to our next seminar? Then, don't miss out on this opportunity. The only risk is you might get a badge. Register early! Space is limited!
    “Nothing counts til you have the badge . . . Nothing!”
    Captain Bob's Next Seminar:

Saturday July 27, 2002 Time: 8:30 A.M. to 1:00 P.M.

Contra Costa Fire Training Center Station 10
    2955 Treat Blvd. (at Oak Park) Concord, Ca 94518

Limited Seating!

Click here for all the details.

http://www.eatstress.com/seminar.htm

Unhappy WHY???

exsilio- Why is it you come in here saying you are
    puking, etc because of the stress of an oral board and
    I offer some VERY valuable advise and you shoot it down?

Coupled with the fact you arent a Paramedic, I think it
    will be a LONG time before you see a badge....

Thread Information