Thread: Generation Y

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Generation Y

There was generation X, they gave birth to the X-Games and the on the edge way of living. Now we have generation Y: (why?)

This latest crop has no faith in what we've learned. They question our ideas and opinions at every turn. Not that this is new for the younger generations but this seems to be a full fledged mistrust or, maybe, feeling that we can't possibly know better than them.

If you fall in the "Y" generation, try and open your minds a little. We may not be all you want to emulate but we have been around the corner once or twice. You may think the things you find to be exciting, fun, daring or different are new to us. they're not. We did the same sh*t as we grew up. All the mistakes you have made and all the mistakes you're going to make, we've already done it. We know what it's like to be you, problem is, you don't know what it's like to look back on it and see the errors.

You will continue to ask "Y", and we will continue to tell you "WHY". Try to give us the benefit of the doubt. We're not trying to keep you down, we're trying to help you avoid our mistakes. Ask us "Y" and we'll probably give you the wrong answer. Just understand, we have learned it's easier to stay out of trouble than to get out of trouble, because we've had to do both.

We're not at all different. In the end we all end up the same, watching the next batch come in and shaking our heads, not because we don't like what we see but because we remember being what we see.

I only say this for one reason. "Y"...because we like you.

Forum Member

Default Re: Generation Y

Originally posted by E ngine Lt
    All the mistakes you have made and all the mistakes you're going to make, we've already done it. We know what it's like to be you, problem is, you don't know what it's like to look back on it and see the errors.
    So are you saying you treated your older members the same way some folks are treating you? I do not ask why when given an order by my Captain. I do not ask why when told or asked to do something around the firehouse. I sit back, look, listen and learn. You can ask my Captain if you please. I'll bet my leather that he tells you just opposite about me of what you have posted. Please do not lump all the people that fall into the Y Generation, by default of age, as a common mind. We are not, just as you are not with your fellow Generationers.
    Thank you.
    *Mark

under the covers...ignoring the alarm clock!

I guess I, too, fall into the "Y" generation. All I have to say is that I am really glad I came across these forums before I started fire training. The only things I do know are these: that I don't know it all. And that respect gets you so much farther than the "Superman" (or in my case, "superwoman" ) attitude does. I have learned a great deal from talking to everyone here. I just hope that I can be a "gen-Y-er" who gets it right. I want to learn; I can't wait to learn. I hope that, in the eyes of my fellow posters, I haven't been "lumped into" that class of bold, brash, mini-mutts.
    Jen, EMT-B
    "I got lost in thought...it was unfamiliar territory."
    "I love mankind--it's people I can't stand" --Linus

Forum Member

It's tough not being able to tell which freakin letter you are.......

Forum Member

From reading this post, I don't think that the good Lt is refering to just the Fire Service, it is kind of a chronic problem in all facets of life.

Mark,

Good for you. Its nice to see someone doing as they should. Unfortunately you may be on of a few. I think what the Lt is saying is that we made the mistakes, not that we disrespected or senior members. He is saying(correct me if I am wrong LT) that these lessons have been passed on and have been learned from. Unfortunately some still ask "Y". We definetly have our share of "Y" guys, but I have also noticed a return of the good ole fashioned "just tell what to do and I'll do it, no questions asked guys" (Gals too...no offense intended Jiffy)

LT,

Hopefully these to will learn. Or at least when they get to a position of responsibilty....someone will Y them too.
    Last edited by hfd66truck; 07-12-2002 at 07:56 AM.

under the covers...ignoring the alarm clock!

Originally posted by hfd66truck
    We definetly have our share of "Y" guys, but I have also noticed a return of the good ole fashioned "just tell what to do and I'll do it, no questions asked guys" (Gals too...no offense intended Jiffy)
    None taken.
    Jen, EMT-B
    "I got lost in thought...it was unfamiliar territory."
    "I love mankind--it's people I can't stand" --Linus

MembersZone Subscriber

Please do not lump all the people that fall into the Y Generation, by default of age, as a common mind. We are not, just as you are not with your fellow Generationers.
    Mark,

I wrote in general and certainly didn't state 100% of any age group is the same. I didn't include you or any other individual. I expressed an observation. If you took it as an insult, I am profoundly sorry.

Now if I had said that Generation "Y" was the smartest and most motivated group I had ever seen, I certainly would not have expected you to include yourself, anymore than I expected you to iclude yourself in my first observation.

So sorry if I offended you. Please accept my apology.

Forum Member

Default RANT ALERT

I was going to go on a rant about the biggest offenders out there...BABY BOOMERS..They laid the foundation for generation "x" and "y". Of course you boomers are getting up there in years now, so you are starting to sound like your parents ...I'm just messin'..All generations (including adults from the World War II era) have had there share of greatness and stupidity. Most of the posters in these forums are committed, productive members of society. We can usually sniff out the ones who aren't and intervene with the ones we think we can lead out of their foolishness. I am rapidly approaching middle age (yikes), and it is funny to see how my perspective is changing. My hope is that the fire service NEVER forgets its traditions and values. I hate that term "100 years of tradition unimpeded by progress". What a crock. We teach as we were taught. If we cant live up to the sacrifices and lessons from our firefighting forefathers, the fire service will not survive. You younger viewers out there know who you are and what you can accomplish...Keep the fire service the one thing that the citizens will ALWAYS depend on... Ok, I am now off my soapbox..(hose testing must have fried my brain today)

MembersZone Subscriber

We actually just had a course during a seminar on Generation X and what they actually call "Netsters" which you referred to as Generation Y.

Mikey excellent stance, I was gonna say, its us generation X'ers that are stuck somewhere between the baby boomers not wanting change or shaking their heads at us and the Netsters who want change 5 minutes from now, with a pat on the back and a white helmet. We just can't win.

Forum Member

I think I was in the last generation that REALLY had fun..Runnin'around the neighborhood..No cable, No VCR's (beta cost too much), No INTERNET. We played outside and wouldnt come in the house until the street lights came on. No video games,(oops, we got PONG one Christmas..now there was a game)..Ahhh those were the days..That is why it is vital for those of us who learned our values from those guys we respected so much,to keep hammering it home to the "netsters". All is NOT lost.

Forum Member

Drifting on a raft in the Carribean Ocean listening to Buffet.

Default T U V Generation?

I am not young enough to be a generation xer so to speak, but I also have a military background. Do what you are told and do it NOW!!! Whoa flashback there. I am 31 and can see what the Lt is saying. I have a 41 year old sister and a 22 year old sister. Talk about generation gaps. The difference between the older generations and the new generations is a big difference. Back when I was growing up we never asked my dad "Why?" His response was pretty simple and you really didn't ask that question to many more times. What I see now are kids who think that they should be given everything and nothing has to be worked for.

Look at the WWII vets. Most of them still want to work even though they are what 75-85 years old. It is called self worth. That is the way they were raised. Work an honest day for honest pay. They had to go out and earn what they wanted and work damn hard for it. In return they would say to thier kids that they did not want them to have to work like dogs to have a good life. So they started to give a little to thier kids, then they give a little to thier kids and on down the line until we have a product of todays kids that don't want to do jack because they don't have to. They lack self discipline. Now don't get me wrong here, I am not saying that all kids are like that. And by far I am not saying that all parents are like that either. I know that there are honest hard working kids and parents out there.

I think what we as adults need to do, is to be more in tune to the needs of how our kids are being raised and what influences they are having in thier lives. Give them more responsibility than just playing games on the tube and hanging out with there friends. Educational programs will benefit them in the long run much more than playing sports or wasting time until the next movie. As the commercial says: "A mind is terrible thing to waste."

My cousin raised three daughters that are all knockout super good looking young ladys. How did she maintain control? She was in thier business from the day they were born and has not stopped since. The oldest two are college grads and the youngest is on her way. They did the sports thing throughout school but the main focus was academics AND proper discipline in the home.

I know I rant most of the time but I really get frustrated with some of the youth today. So much to offer and so much of it wasted. I know of one young lady that I can truely say I pray for everyday that she turns herself around. My little sister. Gifted beyond belief and not used any of it.

Please take the time to help the young ladies and gentleman of the world develope into highly motivated leaders. We really need some in the world. Start with the explorers/juniors in the stations. Keep them interested and pointed toward college.

Matt

Lt, no offense taken at all! I'm just putting in my stance on the issue. I do respect you and your fellow counterparts across this country. No apology needed!

*Mark

Forum Member

Default I goofed

Originally posted by Hottie4Fire
    Lt, no offense taken at all! I'm just putting in my stance on the issue. I do respect you and your fellow counterparts across this country. No apology needed!

*Mark
    I was at the firehouse the other night when I posted this. I didn't realize it was under another user name. I do belive this user name is of a former firefighter that worked part-time in my fire department that didn't pass the CPAT and is no longer working for the department listed in the profile. The comments quoted here are mine and not the user name listed.
    My apologies!

*Mark

Forum Member

Default Not that there is anything wrong with that

We were starting to wonder about you Mark.

Forum Member

Mikey, thanks for your support! This is my true self, the other one has been deleted off the station house computer...

*Mark

Thread Information