Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default AED's on our own??

After reading another news story about FF heart attacks, I would like to know from others out there how many fellow firefighters have used an AED on one of our own OR have lived to tell the story of having an AED used on them. I am interested because with my own department aging, I realize how necessary AED's are for departments to carry on their rigs for our own protection. I hope we never have to use ours on any of our own. Take care and be safe!!

DC

MembersZone Subscriber

I haven't (thankfully) worked a member/co-worker in arrest on-scene ever, I have treated a couple who were having an MI. Only some volunteer members in their homes which is bad enough. I couldn't stress enough, and as you already apparantly know, AED's should be on every apparatus you have, including chiefs vehicles. I know that's not always feesible, but they are an important life saving tool. Not only to your personnel, but with CPR-D, and any CFR/EMT's you have, is important to your community being you could be added to all cardiac arrests in your first due area. We have AED's on all engines and for those of us that are medics we have our manuals we carry.

Forum Member

Our FD has 3 engines, 1 truck, 1 rescue and 3 chiefs cars all equipted w/ AED's. Plus 1 in station 2 and 2 in station 1. Station 1 has a 2nd AED do to the fact that we have a banquet hall.

Forum Member

Yesterday, a Montgomery County TX firefighter/paramedic, and volunteer fire chief was saved by one of his own with an AED after being struck by lightning in front of a fire station while preparing for a rescue class. He immediately went into full arrest. Early CPR, early defib. He is still in the hospital, but is expected to recover. www.abc13.com for the story.
    These are my opinions and not those of the organizations for which I work and/or volunteer.

MembersZone Subscriber truck6alpha's Avatar

Outstanding (to Montgomery Co. TX).

We've got AEDs on all six engines and one truck and we have LP12's with AED capability on all eight ambulances.
    Michael "Mick" Mayers
    Acting Director, Urban Search and Rescue
    South Carolina Emergency Response Task Force
    www.sctf1.sc.gov

Thread Information