Thread: turnout gear

Default turnout gear

My department is researching new gear to be purchased within the next month. I was wondering waht kind of gear you guys liked the best, and waht kind of gear seems to be durable. The big 3 that we were looking at from a cost stand point where Globe, Cairns, and Chieftain. I would appreciate it if you guys could educate me on the topic so I can help the chief make an informed decision.

So which is the best and why?

Thanks

iceman4442
    Firehouse.com Guest

I don't think it's my place to recommend a particular brand of gear - besides, most departments I'm familiar with are either going to be "brand loyal" to their manufacturer or not like it.

Try and sample what's available to you and in your price range, obtain sample gear, and do a comparison. We did a comparison several years ago, and decided to go with PBI Gold as the material, but in the ensuing years, have purchased gear with the same specs from two different manufacturers; I can't tell the difference without looking at the tag or logo.

iceman4442
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

Oops, forgot one thing I wanted to mention - our newer gear has far better liners than our old stuff; not positive, but I think we went with "Crosstech" material for our liners. It's a lot lighter and breathes a little!

Good luck!

I just got a new set of "securtech"(not real sure of spelling)
    I think it's a company out of canada, anyway I'm not sure I like it,it fits kinda loose and baggy, but then I think maybe the guy who measured me did'nt know what he was doin. At any rate, my Dept. has bought "jamesville" for years and seems to have good luck w/ it. I don't know why we ordered this other stuff. I don't know if that helps but it's a few more brandnames to check out anyway.

Forum Member

The rural dept. that I'm on has Janesville turnouts. They're a little baggy and pretty heavy/bulky. I believe they're Nomex. My pair is about 5 yrs old and has held up pretty good with care and proper cleaning. The city dept. that I'm on, bought me a new set of Morning Pride, the coat is the tails type. I believe they're Nomex IIIA. It breathes very well and is a lot lighter than the Janesville. Even they seem to be holding up really well, and look good too. Also fit very good. Try some different manufacturers as well as different styles/colors. Have the guys that are going to have to do a lot of work in them wear it and get their input. It alls comes down to what will work best for your crew and that will work well within your budget.
    Stay Safe!

"Just remember. No matter where you go. There you are!"

About two years ago my department switched over from Cairnes to Morning Pride Gear. The Cairnes was good with the radio pockets and mic holder. (The radio pocked can be ordered on Morning Pride also) However with the Morning Pride we now have knee pads velcrowed on them. A feature we never had before. They are a little tough to get used to. However they are comfortable once you break them in. The best part is if they get worn or ripped just take them off and put a new set on. So if your researching new gear check into the knee pad option. The entire set of gear comes appart for cleaning much easier than gear we have had in the past. Most importantly see what your budget will allow.
    "Keep Your Eyes on the Stars"
    and
    "Keep Your Feet on the Ground"
    -Theodore Roosevelt

Forum Member

My department used SecurTex gear for about a 7 year period. Most of the active members went through a set every 3 years or less. One of the problems we had with the gear was it was from Canada. My department had to send some of the gear back for repairs and it got caught in customs for some time. We have now switched to Morning Pride and it seems to be holding up a little better. It also seems a little lighter then the SecurTex. Like most people have said here. You have to look at your budget and also you departments needs. Is it better to have 5 members in the most costly gear with extras or 10 members in good basic gear without all the extras? I hope you find what you need.
    Last edited by XCAPT1; 07-28-2002 at 03:16 AM.

Forum Member

Default turn-out-gear

Wow, I've been wonderin' when someone was going to bring this up. I shouldn't be complaining, because I've got one of the best sets of gear in the house, but my Globe gear wears me out. It's not too small, by no means. As a matter of fact, it's as small as they come, I believe, and still plenty of room to grow. I keep thinkin' there's just an awful lot of liner there. Maybe I'm just gettin' old, but I don't remember getting fatiqued and overheated so easily before we started using this type of gear.
    Sergeant125
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber

As its been said most times people and Departments will be brand loyal but I have three different sets of gear and I personally like the Morning Pride 'tails' set that I have. I have the PBI version , not sure on the liners but it is very comfortable. The gear has held up well so far, this set is about 2 years old. It is expensive but seems to be worth it as far as durability and comfort goes.

Plus as a cool option I have a rope pocket in the 'tails' and a harness built into the pants. It works great as a ladder belt and personal escape system.

Scott

In my department as in most budget plays a major factor but not to the point of sacrificing safety. Over the years we have tried several brands including Globe, Securi-Tex, Chieftain, Fyr-Repel, Morning Pride and others. My personal set is Chieftain but most of my firefighters prefer Morning Pride. This really makes it easier for me because we have a Morning Pride dealer just a short drive away and when I purchase gear I take the firefighter to the dealer and have them fitted. This may be the reason they like it better. When we leave the dealer they have gear that fits them and this may be the most important factor, gear that actually fits the person wearing it.
    That is my suggestion. No matter what brand you decide on make sure the gear is properly fitted.
    "Don't be afraid to ask stupid questions, they are a lot easier to handle than dumb mistakes"
    Author Unknown

I've worn Globe, Morning Pride, Janesville, and Bristol. I like the Bristol the best. Sorry this wasn't one of your three, but that's my $0.02 worth.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default It's in the fit

I have worn globe, quest, janesville, cairns, securidex, fire gear, and morning pride. By far I like morning pride "tails" the best. The rolled knee pads are great, the extra material used in high stress area's is awesome. The biggest thing with any gear is the fit. You should have a DEALER measure you for your gear to ensure that it's as close to perfect as it gets. Also make sure that the company makes custom fit gear. I know that Fire Gear asks for your measurements, but then then throw you in a bracket of 4 sizes that's supposed to fit you. In my case, My pants were too small and my coat was 2 sizes too big. Oh yeah, Fire Gear blows goats!! I wouldn't trust them to make me a pair of socks.....
    COFire
    PROTECTING THOSE WHO DEFEND AMERICA ============================== =====

Forum Member

my department has globe. but i think we are going to try a different company that is from iowa. we got this idea from a company that sold/built our new pumper truck. u can probably find information on the gear at www.alexisfire.com
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

Forum Member

I've used Cairns, Globe, Lion (Janesville) and FireDex, and I can't say that I've had any major problems with any of them. If you pressed me to pick a favorite it would probably be the FireDex, and if you made me pick a least favorite it would probably be the Lion, but it's a close race all around.

At work, we used to wear Globe, and I hated it. At my volunteer department, it has always been Janesville. Work decided to go with Janesville's new "ISO-DRY" gear. Let me tell you, this is the stuff to have. 1. it is lighter, much lighter than the conventional, 2. with the ISO-DRY system it resists water a lot longer giving the wearer more comfort and less water weight,water will literally run off of it. , 3. I is pretty durble compared to other sets that I have seen out there.4. Cleans up great, the carbon and other products do not stick to it like it does to other gear.

I liked it so much, when my volunteer department wanted to buy more gear, I brought them a jacket from work and showed it to them, explained the pros and we ended up buying the ISO-DRY there too. It is great and I feel sure that you will be thoroughly impressed with it.
    IAFF Local 2270

Most all companies carry the same types of materials (nomex, nomex II, advanced, pbi and basofil, etc). Its up to your department to spec what you would like on them, as far as what pockets go where, what stripes go where, etc. Some of the other things one needs to consider is how long is the gear going to last,what kind of protection does the gear have and how much is it going to cost. When it comes to protection pbi is going to give you the best protection against heat. But it does not have the long lasting properties of some of the other types. After about a years worth of research, our department found that Globes advanced was the best for our department. It's heat protection was close to pbi and it's duability was as good or better than nomex and best of all the price was right, around $800.00 per set. Most important do your homework and find the right gear for YOUR department.
    GOOD LUCK

Chief Chad Zecha
    Mesilla fire department

We are issued Globe PBI and I have put it through H--- and back here in the 3rd Batt. super durable and quick to break in.

I wear the same kind of turnout gear that re27squad wears, except i am in the 4th battalion. when he says he puts it through hell, he's right. the globe gear is pretty good and durable, but i haven't been in up here long enough to really wear it in. It does break in real well and real quick. I think some other good stuff is the morning pride pants. they fit like a charm and allow a person to breathe real well. The janesville iso-dri is a very good jacket. it doesn't have those damn clips on them. I just don't like those ones. I'm not sure on the pricing, so i can't give those quotes.
    What does the Bunkroombandit do? Well, honestly, I am not sure myself, but he sure does like to cause trouble.

If your department can afford it go with any namebrand as long a s it is PBI. You can tell a major difference between Nomex and PBI, the heat resistance of PBI is so much better than any type of Nomex. The higher price is well worth the level of safety you get out of PBI.
    Wes Kirkpatrick
    Amory Fire Dept.
    Firefighter

Some people tell me however that the nomex is good because you can feel the heat and are able to judge it better than the pbi stuff. I am not sure, but i like that pbi stuff.
    What does the Bunkroombandit do? Well, honestly, I am not sure myself, but he sure does like to cause trouble.

MembersZone Subscriber

We use Quaker. We had Chieftain Nomex and it sure was heavy. I am not sure what liner was in the Chieftain but the wieght put a strain on you during our hot & humid summers. The Chieftain also seemed to wear quickly. Being a small rural department our budget limited our selection. We were able to get Advance ripstop with a light wieght liner very reasonable. The gear is holding up well and offers geat protection at a fraction of PBI cost. Our dealer gave us a price break for coming out of Nomex to a newer material as well. We had a couple of people unexpectedly leave just after buying the gear and the dealer did not hesitate to swap unused gear for the appropriate size for our new volunteers even though the gear was custom ordered. The dealer also assumed responsibility for sizing, important, and reordered the few items that needed swapped after initial delivery. Customer service adds to a good product. The material used in all brands comes from a few fabric mills. Construction quality, design and features offered a no additional cost are the real differences. Just my thoughts and experience, there is other great gear out if your budget will allow it.

JeepFireNY
    Firehouse.com Guest

We use PBI Lion (Janesville) gear and it has worked great. One major thing about the gear is that the difference in the weight is huge. So much lighter than our older gear. Another thing I like is the thumb hole in the cuff. Some people don't like it, but I enjoy the confidence in knowing that my cuffs are going completely inside my gloves certainly make it worth it.

Good luck with you new gear and be sure to regularly clean the gear.

MembersZone Subscriber

My department is just about to start testing trial gear from several different manufacturers before ordering 28,000 sets. We use a (new) Australian Standard for Structural Turnout Gear, rather than NFPA. It will be interesting to see what we end up with as far as materials. I hear that there is some debate as to whether or not the gear has a moisture barrier or not. The dept doesn't want a moisture barrier, but others do.
    Busy polishing the stacked tips on the deckgun of I.A.C.O.J. Engine#1

...and before you ask - YES I have done a Bloody SEARCH!

Talking

the department that I am on is a combination career and volunteer department. The Career side of the department has for the most part switched over to the pbi type of gear and really like it. The volunteer officeres, except for one have the new type of gear also. Those of us that are using the nomex really like it but are having issues with the gear starting to tear and wear out. (this is true with my gear).

Our department is allowed 6000.00 a year for bunker gear so in about three years i should have the new type of gear. The nice thing about our new gear is that the name of the person wearing the gear is in reflective stripes on the back.
    Dave W. Butcher
    Firefighter
    Scottsbluff Fire Department

Forum Member

Question Millennia

We are currently using the Chieftain PBI gear and have no complaints. I am wondering if anyone has used gear made with Millennia. Our Sales rep is currently pushing this type of material pretty hard. Selling points are just as good protection as PBI, Lighter and more Flexible than PBI and more Tear resistant (Manufacturer warranty of 5 years for any rips/tears). I am just wondering if this gear is everything the Sales Rep is making it out to be. We are looking at replacing some a large portion of our outdated equipment with new and are looking at all the alternatives and materials. Thanks for any input on this.

Stay safe out there.
    Last edited by Ralif03; 10-24-2002 at 08:53 AM.
    Ralph Connor
    WVFD
    www.WilliamstownFD.com

Thread Information