Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    HNFC FF/President mdoddsjffhnfc's Avatar

Default Our juniors face alot of work

In my company, the Juniors get to do alot of things. If needed, we get to use the Deck Gun. We have 17 active members, 5 of which are juniors, so we're a very important part of our company. The only things we don't get to do is put on an SCBA for a working fire (drills are ok) Ride out on EMS or FAST Team calls. What we can do at a call where SCBA's are worn is too change the bottles and do Accountability. But we do alot of work, how about your company? Just how much does your station depend of you?
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

We do about the same things as your post does,except we can go on EMS calls. But i guess our depends on us pretty good,cause theres only 1 person on duty at the station and when either the Capt. or Engineer get a call all they can do for help is pretty much pray that some PCFs show up.But when we're there for a meeting or just there for the heck of it and we get a call, then we do accoutability,change BA tanks,etc..so it takes a lot of things off their shoulders at a call so they wont have to worry about those sort of things and just focus on the situation at hand.
    No longer an Explorer!!! WOO HOO!

AOL Instant Messenger: aranger00

Future Firefighters Org. & IACOJ Explorers rock!

Forum Member

Cool

We have a small dept 10 active members and 4 Jr's. Being the ranking Junior i get treated better sometimes than the rest . we are allowed to go on all fires,car wrecks,EMS and transport calls that we have the main thing that we do is lay 5 inch and change bottles at fires with the exception of myself and one of the other Jr's who are allowed to pump the truck when either filling the dump tank or taking on water at a hydrant we can't pump thought at a fire when we are the supplying truck. but at car accidents we help with the extracation and imobilize(back board) the patients well the Emts check them over and for transport calls we just load and unload the patients and get supplies at the hospital. It some times seems like were better off with less members because we get to do more.
    Last edited by Station32; 08-03-2002 at 12:54 AM.

Default dangerous area

Originally posted by Station_32
    myself and one of the other Jr's who are allowed to pump the truck.
    have you taken pump Operator course yet? if not, that could become a major liability to your department.

Example:

You're operating at a house fire. You're running the pump on your supply truck, even though you have never had a state mandated class on it's operation. You screw up, the water supply is cut off, and 2 FF's inside the house are subsequesntly killed. Say bye to Juniors, but that may be the least of your worries, as you will be knee-deep in lawsuits or even maybe criminal charges. It's a dangerous area.

Default Station 32

Didnt get a chance to reply to your email, but thanks for clarifying that.

Our juniors do a lot of work. We have 4 total in our station. I am Jr. Chief, and due to my title, I am made responsible for the rest of the Juniors for drills and on calls. Our Juniors are allowed on any truck on any kind of call. We can do everything but go inside a burning structure. During the daytime when crews are light, our station depends on us juniors to hit hydrants, refill air bottles, run deck guns, and perform exterior attacks, etc, etc, etc. 3 of us Juniors, (Myself, Jr. Asst. Chief, and another Junior) are A.E.D./CPR certified, so anytime there is a medical call we don't hesitate to jump on the truck and the drivers and officers don't mind when we get on the truck. Theres been many times that I'll be first one at the station, throw my gear in the truck, have the doors up, truck started, and the call acknowledged so that we can get rolling a.s.a.p. Our Juniors do a lot and our Chief and most of the other officers appreciate all we do.

our juniors ( the 2 of us) can do everything that the regular members can but go in a burning structure, that is untill we get are firefighter one class. we hold hose work the nozzle, just about everything.
    Burgess Wills
    Firefighter/EMT
    Windsor Vol. Fire Department
    Chuckatuck Vol. Fire Department

at my station it depends what jrs u have and what knowlegale they know of like what in the truck. Like for me, im the second highest jr in our dept and i come to all the calls. Westville has about 40 active members and 10 of them are jrs. Now only the 4 jrs that come out and help the dept at a call. The rest either show up and dont make a truck or the offireer of the truck kickes them off and lets a higher jr on the truck. During the day if there is a limited crew there is 2 paid guys in our dept who are the FM's. Usullay the higher jr wil get on if an offier tells u to get on. It depends if we get to have fun is what other jr is on the truck. Like if its me and cuz on the truck me can do alot of things or like if there is real low jr on the truck and the offeric tells me to get on we dont get to have fun b/c that jr doesnt know like the truck or hasnt been showing up. Plus we are not allowed on EMS calls unless its a lift assist. or a limited crew and the squad speicals call the rescue.
    Rob aka Squinty

The Fighting Seventy-Third

Westville Fire Department
    Gloucester County
    New Jersey

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Ya know, I wouldn't be bragging about so many things that your departments let you do. Especially when the department in question is listed in your profiles, along with websites. Just b/c you do these things at calls, weather your trained for it or not; doesn't mean that by federal law you are permitted to do. Your department doesn't make these rules, and if they get in trouble for vioilation the Federal child labor laws governing junior firefighter programs; you can kiss you insurance good bye. I know that it's hard to be told "NO"... But if you think getting your jollies by doing something your not supposed to is fun; what do you think of your department getting sued, losing insurance, not being able to respond the apparatus? Is it all really worth causing a loss of protection to the community?

I am the chief of our junior fire department. we are not aloud on any apparatus when there ia a call. We are not aloud in or on department prperty until 20 minutes after the call. That is because when had some real smart guys who went to the station on their bikes when we had a call and they got in the way seriously. we have meeting every monday night and we have gear that was handed down by the regular fire department that is no longer NFPA certified but it works for what we do. We train on the trucks and know every bit of the trucks. It's basically like the minor league for our fire department.
    Put the WET stuff on the RED stuff.

Thread Information