Default Jaws? We don't need no steenkin' jaws.

From today's local paper. We're saving a spot on the roster for this deputy

Rescue bid fails to save crash victim
    Jackson woman pulled from blazing vehicle

JACKSON — Despite a daring rescue effort by a Waldo County sheriff’s deputy, a Jackson woman died Friday from injuries suffered in a head-on crash the night before.

Rinda Neil, 44, of Jackson died about 2 a.m. Friday at Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor, according to Waldo County Chief Deputy John Ford.

The department received a complaint Thursday evening from a patron at the Country Rose bar in Jackson that someone had backed into a car in the parking lot and took off, Ford said Friday. The customer got the license plate number and called police.

When the registration number was checked, a report came back showing the vehicle was owned by Neil.

On the way to Neil’s house on the Bogg Road at 10:50 p.m., Deputy Matt Curtis spotted a car on fire in the woods. The vehicle had hit a tree head-on.

The deputy grabbed a fire extinguisher, doused the 15- to 20-foot-high flames and smashed the car window with a flashlight.

At first he was unable to free Neil, who was alone in the car, but once his adrenaline got going, Curtis ripped the steering wheel out of the car and managed to remove the victim, the chief deputy said.

Curtis could not be reached Friday for comment.

Ford, Maine State Police officers and fire departments from Brooks and Jackson also responded to the call and tried to save the woman. Neil was taken to Eastern Maine Medical Center, where she later died of her injuries, Ford said.

Ford praised the efforts of Curtis, as well as the other law enforcement officers and rescue personnel who responded.

The vehicle was destroyed. A blood-alcohol test was done on the accident victim, but the results were not yet available.
    _________DILLIGAF

FIGJAM

That's a pretty big effort to be able to remove a wheel, if that was in fact what he did!

I think there'd be a few depts lining up to recruit him onto their rescue squad!
    Luke

Forum Member

Talking YEAH OK!@#?

If that guy really did that I'll kiss his &$$. Just like the papers and brass to spit shine that one to look like some "tarzan" achievement.
    Firefighter/NREMT-P/Public Safety Diver
    May we ride into the darkness only to return as safe as we started!!

Forum Member

Wacker,we're on the same page.Yet if it was a Fwd and hit hard enough,it's possible,those columns aren't held in by much or if it was tilt wheel.I wasn't there but I might be able to find out.T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 07-14-2002 at 06:33 PM.

Forum Member

Arrow

Rescue 101- I too have seen the columns broke loose to the point that they had to be chained back out of the way so we could free the patient. However, I do believe that if the vehicle had enough damage to break the column/wheel free, it is highly unlikely that the patient could be freed by moving the column/wheel alone.
    Firefighter/NREMT-P/Public Safety Diver
    May we ride into the darkness only to return as safe as we started!!

Forum Member

Ok, I want to know if this deputy runs on ethyl glycol, phosphate ester, or mineral oil???
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Maybe the story is embelished(have no idea how to spell that and am to lazy to look it up) a little but I applaud our brother in Blue for the effort....

Thread Information