Thread: NorCal Schedule

Default NorCal Schedule

I am interested in what I have heard of as the NorCal schedule, 48 on then 4 days off. To me this sounds great and I am interested in researching this for our department. I am looking for pros and cons and any research on its effectiveness. If you know where to find this info or are currently using this schedule I would like to hear from you.

Thanks,
    Todd

www.erfpd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

There have been many discussions on these boards about the different schedules. I have never heard of or seen anyone discussing the schedule that you refer to. 48 straight hours and then four days off? We work two 10 hour days and then two 14 hour nights followed by four days off. I personally love this schedule. If I take one whole trick off, I get twelve straight days off.
    There are a few variations of 24 hours shifts that I have heard of. Some work 24 on then 24 off then 24 on and then five days off. Some work 24 on and then 48 off and repeat that for five weeks or so and then they get a Kelly day, which I think is an extra day off. I must say that I wouldn't want to be at the station for 48 straight hours.

Default NorCal Schedule

I believe the Kern Co., Bakersfield Ca dept still works that schedule in some of their very outlying stations. Kern Co is over 8,000 Sq. Mi and some of the commutes are over 150 miles. That is why they use the schedule. It saves firefighters gas and lots of time on the road. Keep in mind though that these stations have a relatively low call volume.
    The job is what you make it. And yes, it can still be fun!

The little info I have heard is very positive for the commute times. I am also told the sick calls dropped noticiably and I would assume that morale is up because a 4-day is right around the corner. We are a fire district in a high profile resort in Colorado and as expected housing costs are crazy: $300,000 and up for a 2000 sq./ft. single family home 35 miles away. My wife and I bought an 850 sq/ft condo for $148,000. Not to get off on a new subject this is exactly why I would love the schedule so we can live in Denver. I will check out Bakersfield. I am also told Boise Fire operates with this schedule. Thanks for the feedback.

Todd
    www.erfpd.org

Also, does this shift, 48 on/4 days off affect whether one receives FLSA overtime?

Forum Member

48 hours is a long time to work regularly when you dont sleep much at night.

Forum Member

How abou 24 on 72 off....W O O O W O O O W not a bad way to make a living
    IACOJ Membership 2002
    {15}

Mike IAFF

The beatings will continue until the morale improves

Yup

Thread Information