Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default MUTT Mayor sues neighboring volunteers

See: http://www.trentonian.com/site/news..._id=44551&rfi=6

The Mayor of the City of Trenton has filed for an injunction against the FMBA alleging an illegal "sick out."

The Mayor has sued five volunteer fire companies who refused to enter the middle of this labor dispute.

The Mayor has attempted to get all suburban Mayors to order the volunteer companies to cover Trenton's shortfalls due to station closures.

This after Trenton received a full bailout of budget shortfalls by State.
    The above is MY OPINION only and not that of anyone else. I am not representing any organization in making a post here!!!!

I don't advocate the volunteer companies jump in the middle of a labor dispute.....But... Are they (volunteers) continuing to conduct business as usual? In that...i mean are they continuing to provide service just like they had in the past? Are they responding to calls or are they just not doing anything? I would imagine that if a volunteer company refused to respond they would be in violation of their charter.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

I believe the companies are responding to fire requests, just not station coverage standby's. They would be responding from their own stations instead of being in the city's station. They will show up, but it may take a few minutes more due to their location.

On average, the last five years, one to three requests for mutual aid.

Two requests since the closings.

How can there be "business as usual" when there is less apparatus on the streets in Trenton.

Not only that, but no one from the fire administration has even advised the volunteers of what they want. They haven't called anyone about this situation.
    The above is MY OPINION only and not that of anyone else. I am not representing any organization in making a post here!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

As usual with politics, as VFD's we are damned if we do and damned if we dont If you have signed a mutual aid agreement, you are obligated to do what you have promised.

Stay safe the dragon still bites

Myron....

Exactly.....end of story!

You provide mutual aid as requested to the best of your ability. You have fulfilled your obligation.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

This of course is the beauty of the Trenton area, there are NO SIGNED MUTUAL AID AGREEMENTS!

Everyone puts together wish list box alarms that tell dispatch who they want, but they never tell the requested company.

Trenton is not the only area to do this. Ocean County put out a request years ago for all companies to furnish them with a list of your departments mutual aid companies and their requesting order. The County then compiled these lists and filed them in the round container in the corner. They made up their own lists, and if you request more than 2 companies, a county coordinator is dispatched to assist with more requests. Basically, you can tell them what you want, and they find it for you. It actually works fairly well as it's one less thing for IC to worry about. No one has ever said Yes, I'll respond for them or had any kind of agreement, most companies just go when requested.

The County did though, create a document for all companies to sign, when they created the Forest Fire mutual aid response. That one was done back in 97 and all companies in the county signed that one in agreement.

Does anyone have signed Mutual Aid agreements? Just curious. Who signs them and how long are they for? Most in my area have verbal agreements that were made years and years ago.

Some States, North Carolina and Michigan for example, have Statewide mutual aid compacts (for police, fire, ems, public works, etc.) that are done by Statute and municipal ordinance.

Here in NJ, we have the "If you call me and I have a crew then we will respond" system.

Burlington has the local company specify the first two (?) alarms and then County dispatch figures it out from there. This is probably one of the better systems, that way resources are not pulled in an unbalanced manner.

In Mercer, each company does a box alarm chart and sends it in, but they are not coordinated. I know that is one local company has a working fire, we are called to cover with an engine in one of three houses in that town, but if another company in the same town has a fire, they want our ladder and the other company still wants our engine. There is just no coordination of these plans.

Thread Information