Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Need some friendly pointers

Would have placed this in the off duty fourm but mine has come up missing also. I passed the Lt.'s exam yesterday and have the assesment center section tomorrow. Was wondering if any of the officers here could give me some friendly pointers on what to expect and any other help. I feel I will do pretty good but was just checking to see if anyone may want to comment on this. By the way I placed #3 on the list after the written test for at least 7 positions over the next year.
    Never forget the fallen.

Just remember to be yourself. Do not assume the assessors understand you. Be very detailed in explanations or "role playing" exercises.

Remember they are looking for certain Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs) that you have already been briefed on in your assessment center training.

The best way to learn how to perform and better yourself in an assessment center is to volunteer to be an assessor in other jurisdictions when that ask that of your department. It helps you prepare because you have been on the inside.

Remember to play the game and be thorough. Especially in an "In Basket" exercise. There may be scattered information in the basket that relates to each other and in some case there may be information that relates to a future exercise. Go through it all and sort it and prioritize it. That way you at least look at it all. You may find that information buried in the basket will cancel a task that was on the top.

Good luck.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Dazzle them with brilliance, but if they ask you something that you do not know, be honest...don't try to baffle them with bullscat..remember, they have all the answers in front of them!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Thread Information