Default Cascade System Recommendations

We're looking into replacing our current station cascade setup with a new self contained unit so we don't have to keep loading our bottles on a truck and take them out to get them filled. Any recommendations on a setup that works well are appreciated.
    David Brooks,
    Captain, NRFR
    Newmarket Fire & Rescue
    Newmarket, New Hampshire
    http://www.NewmarketFire.com
    (All opinions are my own)

Forum Member

Call Poseiden Air, they'll sell you a compressor and fittings that will get you setup w/ in house cascade filling. Then invest in a mobile cascade unit on one of your rigs. This will give you "LOTS" of air. Be prepare to fork over a few bucks.
    Frank
    Chief Frank Rizzio
    Pea Ridge Fire Dept.
    Pea Ridge AR. 72751

Unfortunatly a truck mounted system is not an option. We're in the process of getting a new station but up to that point we had to order trucks that would fit in our current station, not trucks that suit our needs, and storage space on these rigs is at a premium, We're holding off on a tanker purchase because we can't get anything usefull that will fit, but I'll look into the company for our station system. Thanks for the input.
    David Brooks,
    Captain, NRFR
    Newmarket Fire & Rescue
    Newmarket, New Hampshire
    http://www.NewmarketFire.com
    (All opinions are my own)

MembersZone Subscriber

I hope you've also found a worthy home for your old system.
    Asst. Chief Bill

International Order of the Fraternal Brotherhood of the Club

Somewhere in or near north central Creek County, Oklahoma

Forum Member

We were lucky enough to obtain a compressor unit through our county fire assoc. We bought 6 H cylinders, fittings and a step down regulator. This makes up a good in house stationary cascade. We've also got two setups of four H cylinders on two different rigs for mobile scba filling. they fit pretty good in a relatively small space. We've got one setup horizontal across the front of a utility bed in our brush truck, the other is mounted vertically in a compartment of an ambulance box we picked up cheap and mounted on a 1 ton chassis for our support truck. The compressor setup keeps us from having to go ten miles for two hours min. for a refill.
    Our new guys don't know the hassles we had to put up with a few years ago.
    Frank
    Chief Frank Rizzio
    Pea Ridge Fire Dept.
    Pea Ridge AR. 72751

Forum Member

Just installed new Mako compressor system. 15HP engine, 4 6000psi storage bottles, 3 bottle fill station. We also do not have any truck mounted refilling, but in an area of only 1.5 sq miles, station is not that far away. We looked at Mako, Bauer, and American Eagle. Mako had best unit and lowest price. If you would like, I can email the specs we used for the unit. Total cost was around 40k, which included 5 year maintenance plan.

My department also recently replaced our cascade system as part of our SCBA up grade. We purchased an American Bristol Patriot III compressor and a Revolve Air fill station. We have been extremely happy with both units but especially the fill station. The Revolve Air fill station allows you to fill two bottles. The bottles hang on a revolving door, while the first two are filling you can hook up the next two cylinders to be filled. When the first two are done, you simply open the latch swing in the two emplties lock the latch and start filling. You can then remove the two full cyinders and replace them with empties.

Hope this helps.

Forum Member

This is our set-up and I highly reccommend it to anyone who is looking into a filling station. What we have is not TECHNICALLY called a Cascade system, its called a High Pressure Air Unit. We have a truck mounted 4 bottle (5000psi/bottle). Common. However we also have an on board compressor to fill them. What does this mean? We can make air as long as we got fuel. This is a beautiful system. Maybe I should take a picture and post it here.
    Firefighter/EMT Mitch Cowen
    Hose Co. 1 1st Lieutenant
    Randolph Fire Co. Inc

Thread Information