Forum Member

Question Frisges on Fire Engines

Just back from a 3 hour extrication of the occupants of a vehicle which was 15ft down an embankment. My boots have filled with sweat and my throat feels like its been sanded. What do I need? A nice cold drink, thats what. Lets go get one from the truck. Oh forgot, all we have is bottled water which sits in a crate in a locker. Nice and warm and flat. Just what I needed to quench my thirst and replace lost liquids. I bet this happens just about everwhere.

Can anyone answer my question? Does any Dept/Service have a small fridge or cooler aboard the truck so cool liquids are available all the time. I mean, even in the middle of winter over here, you need a cool drink after walking out of the hot stuff.
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

A company I used to be in in SC had a small Fridge on it's rescue. It stayed plugged into a pull away 110V cable while parked in the bay and ran on 12V or the units 110V generator when at a scene. It was sure nice to have cold drinks while on along job.

My departmets 2000 Pierce Walk Through Rescue has a fridge in the rear crew compartment. Runs off the shore line while at the station and then off the generator when on scene. One of our neighboring departments has a coleman (I think) 12 volt electric cooler mounted in their engine.

Hope this helps.

iceman4442
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

Our "Special Unit" (Haz-Mat, air, mobile C.P., rehab.) has a "dorm" sized refrigerator in it. It runs on the station AC when there, switches to DC on the road, and back to AC trhough the generator once on scene.

Keeps the bottled water nice and cold.

Good luck!

IACOJ BOD

Martin

We store gatorade bottles under one of the rear seats, they stay cool enough.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Default fridges in rigs

My company has an entire compartment dedicated to rehab on our heavy rescue. We have a small freezer along with a bottled water dispenser(with hot and cold water),and an electric hot plate. The freezer is stocked with Gatorade and individual bottles of water.

once a week throw some ice in a cooler with the bottled water, why strain the generator with a fridge.
    " truck till the casket drops "

www.lynbrookfd.org

My views and opinions do not represent the views and standards of the Department or Company that I belong to.

Forum Member

Smile fridge and coffee maker

We installed both a 110V dorm fridge and a drip style coffee maker on our squad. The fridge works great, runs off shoreline power in house and off the generator on scene. As far as the coffee maker it is nice to have a good cup of coffee while you are waiting for the sheriff's deputies to finish their investigation of the drunk driving accident at 4:00 in the morning on a cold January night. Plus the coffee promotes good relations among the services.

Forum Member

Default Fill 'er up . . .

As a city fire department, we are fortunate to have had a great Fire Explorer Post for the last 34 years that provides a quick, efficient canteen service to all working fires and/or prolonged incidents or standbys. Cold stuff when it's 102 (Gatorade, water, lemonade), hot stuff when it's 30 below (Coffee, hot chocolate) and yes, we do get to both those temperature extremes. All served with a smiling face, a clean towel, and a huge heart. Thanks, guys. We appreciate you.

Captain Dave Reeves
    Syracuse Fire Department
    "An ISO CLass 1 Fire department"

Forum Member

Thanks for the replies guys. Hot drinks are normally not the problem as we carry a kettle that runs of the generator. Will maybe see if the bosses will run to a cool box for the summer with ice packs/gel packs. That might be the best approach, can't see them buying a fridge unfortunately. Thanks again
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

Forum Member

We use an Igloo water jug. Every morning during daily truck check, it gets refilled to the brim with ice cubes and water. Good enough for the rest of the shift if it doesn't get used. If it does, just refill.

For any big fires or other pumper operations, we store Gatorade in the fridge that is brought to the scene by the call-in personnel.
    Life is only temporary, but freedom goes on forever. God bless those who gave all.

We have a small fridge on our heavy rescue. It runs off the shore line while the truck is plugged in and runs off the AMPS generator while the truck is going down the road. It comes in really handy when you are on an extrication during the middle of summer. We can carry about a case of bottled water in it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our engines each carry a cooler (the kind with the wheels that you might see at the beach)filled with bottles of water and sports drinks. We use 2 liter soda bottles to make ice and switch them at the beginning of each shift. We also have a large frige at the firehouse full of rehab supplies to restock the cooler and maintain a supply of ice. The system works well and it doesn't add another piece of electrical equipment to the apparatus.

Here we have a cooler with a few Gatorades in it that has ice put in it every morning when apparatus checks are done. We also have a water jug thing that has ice cold water and it is refreshed everyday in the morning also. And those are on all big pieces of equiptment.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Good idea guys... my wheels are turnin' on an upgrade for our service/support rig. Only thing I'll have to watch out for is what the guys will want to put in the back of the fridge... miller, bud ,coors etc.
    Chief Frank Rizzio
    Pea Ridge Fire Dept.
    Pea Ridge AR. 72751

Many years ago, before I joined, we had a Rescue truck catch on fire at a call.

Some years later I'm standing next our Deputy when he mumbles something to the effect of @!!@@!#! as we see smoke pouring from behind another company's rescue truck at the scene of a barn fire. He had visions of another fire truck fire in his head.

We hustle up to investigate, and turning the corner we're asked, "Hamburger or Hot Dog?" Yep...full gas grille carried in that department's rescue, so all they're auxilliary had to do was grab some frozen meat from the freezer at the station

We do carry just warm Gatorade & Water, but there's coolers back at the station available for scheduled events & long duration incidents. I don't mind, when I'm working hard I prefer warm beverages anyways, cold stuff just doesn't sit in my stomach right.

We have refrigerators, microwave ovens, ice maker, food and coffee makers in the cab of all of our engines. Just saw a new rig under construction at Saulsbury with the samething and a soda fountain in the cab too.

Forum Member

Martinm, the other posters here have some good plans. Here in the former Colonies, truck stops (Lorry rests?) are the best source for a 12volt cooler. But be careful. If the drinks are really cold, they can induce stomach cramps, usually followed by "the runs". I have worked in very hot areas (112+ degrees F air temp, I think that's off the C scale), and cold drinks will do you in! Cool to room temp is the way to go.
    I used to teach a hot weather class at a Law Enforcement Academy (my 1st calling), and don't tell the troops, but b**r is good for rehydrating AFTER duty hours - but why would I tell an Englishman that? {You should try some cold beer - it's different!}
    Keep some Gatoraide type drinks on hand - we make everyone drink something every 20 min. or so. By the time you are thursty you are about 3% dehydrated - it's too late, you are behind the power curve. Officers must insure FFs drink during the incident.
    BTW, there was a report of an Army unit in the UK with 60% heat casulties - in 70 degree (F) weather! They had been working in 50's, and training in +20 degrees induced heat problems - it's not absolute heat, it's relative heat.

My town rescue truck have frisge on it works very well for us. in new hampshire it can get very hot and humd 90+ some day in the summer
    live free or die

Thread Information