Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Post Fitness programs in the Volunteer service

I was wondering what other departments are doing to promote physical fitness. I've noticed that endurance and stamina are taking a big toll at major scenes. Plus with the heartattach statics related to FF deaths physical fitness must be promoted.

Plus are any volunteer departments requiring fitness type testing for both entry and existing members?
    Stevejd
    www.lcvfd.com

MembersZone Subscriber

I wish. Lack of a fitness program ends up with guys that become a complete liability to themselves and everyone else in the department. I just do what I can to keep myself in shape

iceman4442
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy Fitness - we don't need no stinkin' fitness!

As much as I try to get some of our, um, "less than physically fit" personnel to at least make an attempt to get into some semblance of shape, a lot of them take the attitude that they just won't do anything that taxes their endurance or strength. That's great as long as it's not MY ***** that they're supposed to be helping, covering, saving, etc.!

Some of us do take fitness very seriously, but some don't, and with a voluteer department, it's very hard to mandate or have fitness qualifications put in place.

If you come up with a good plan, please let me know!

Thumbs up physical tests

We have to do our physical test every two year and the HAZMAT team members every year. And we have to get a medical examination every year also.
    We are a mixed department 14 career and 60 paid on call fire fighters.
    We have to do the same work so we have the meed the same physical's.
    These test are the same as when we get inlisted to the service.

This is how it works in my department and most departments in Belgium.

It isn't bad to do some physical examination of the firefighters.

I've seen where members have put workout equipment in the bay's and heard some departments offer to pay for memberships into local health clubs. I also believe an area department recieved funding from Federal grants last year to build and supply a gym for their department. I have someone looking into to this as we have space at our training facility and this was considered but cut during it's development.
    Stevejd
    www.lcvfd.com

Cool

We have put some of our own workout equipment in a workoutroom in the station, we also installed a TV in the room.
    The equipment we hve comes from the paid on call firefighters and the department. The guys who donated the equipment didn't have space at home to install it at there home. Now there is plenty of equipment in the workoutroom and all firefighters and family can use this room.
    Wen some parts of the equipment gets broken the department will make it or get an otherone.

Our department has also been looking to do the workouts in nearby gym's but this was to expensive.
    And this was a good solution for space problems of some firefighters and a budget problem of our department.

Our district has adopted NFPA and provided a very well equipped physical training that rivals a health club right down to the T.V. on the wall. We have a treadmill, cycle weight machine as well as free weights.

However there are still volunteers that would be considered out of shape.

I would like at what point should one be concerned with firefighters weight. Are there an standards for physical requirements. SHould a person pushing 380 lbs be considered a risk?
    The view expressed are personal and not those of any organization or board that I may represent. I am exercising my right as a free American.

Smile

As an incentive for the volunteers our town pays half the membership at the local fitness center. There is a string. To take advantage a required 35% attendance to meetings and calls is required.

It really isn't much but the benefits are tremendous. The fitness center is fully equipped including pool, hot tub and sauna.

Unfortunately there are those that still do not take advantage of the opportunity.

Thread Information